1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jabrill Peppers.... A Steeler?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jan 12, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Walterfootball's latest mock has us selecting Jabrill over an EDGE defender like Takkarist McKinley or even Charles Harris.

Was intrigued to see it myself to say the least. Thoughts guys? Would Pittsburgh pull the trigger on someone like Peppers?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Would they? Of course they would, especially if he's their top rated player left on the board.
    I haven't started my draft research yet on a lot of prospects but Peppers has sounded like a hell of an athlete that can line up in multiple positions.

No doubt that the biggest need is edge rusher for this team but if one isn't there, a playmaker like Peppers sounds great.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I understand that, athletically speaking, Jabrill is second only to Myles Garret in terms of athletic upside in my opinion.

However, the difference between his peers in Malik and Jamal is that both of those players have proven to be difference makers. With only one career interception, Jabrill has not shown that level of ability the way Jamal or Malik have.

In addition, should someone like McKinley fall that far, Mike Tomlin loves freaks and no doubt Takkarist will test well at the combine. Add the fact that EDGE rusher is still needed and one has quite the conundrum on their hands.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I was just talking about Peppers to my son the other day. I noticed in a lot of mock's he is falling down towards us. I think this kid is a playmaker and a perfect fit for today's defense. The NFL is so pass happy and a guy like this that can play safety and LB is great. There was a lot of talk about Cravens and Jones in last years draft but Peppers is better.

I am not a McKinley fan right now so taking Peppers over him wouldn't bother me. Harris has my attention but I haven't watched much on him yet. I also am liking that Cunningham kid but I keep seeing him go higher and higher. It is so early these guys could go up and down so much in the next month so it is hard to get a feel for a guy right now. I will say we need a pass rusher but I wouldn't pass on Peppers either.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I know Peppers may not have a true home in the NFL but I would be blow away if he is still hanging around near the bottom of the 1st round. The guy is an athletic playmaker. While he may not have a true position he will find a way to make an impact in the NFL and smart DC's know that.

I'm not getting my hopes up.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

While I do agree that defensive coordinators will make due of Peppers talents, the fact is that a lack of production does yield consequences for many NFL scouts.

The evaluation for Peppers is that he is all over the place. I personally believe he is better than Jalen Ramsey was. The issue for me is that his lack of production does not match the accolades and praise.

Either way, I am not saying that Peppers will not be good. I am stating that whichever team drafts him better have a good plan for him.

Side note, I do believe Pittsburgh is that team. Considering he can be used all over, he has a psuedo-Polamalu level ability but he possess more range.

7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Was seriously just coming on here to post this question. I would love to have him. He's going to be the third safety taken, so he might just be there at 32. He has the athletic ability to play safety, corner, ILB and edge.
    There will be 3 qbs taken in the first round, maybe 4. 2 or 3 running backs, 1 TE, and 3-4 was. Tackles will be at a premium. There are 5-6 edge rushers that will go, and 3-4 d-linemen. Probably 4 corners will go, and Jamal Adams and Malik Hooker will be Top 15. Will he be there? Maybe.
    Should we take him? We should break the draft speed record we set when we took DeCastro.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Peppers could fall to the latter half of the 1st round. Sua Cravens 6'1" 222 went in the second round. He did well this past year so that may start a template some teams can look to. I think that and Peppers return ability would push him into the 1st, especially at the end of the round where teams may be looking to add a playmaker to get them over the top on an otherwise solid team. Peppers is 6'1" 207 so very similar to Cravens.

Jeremy Cash 6' 210 was in that same tweener mold but went undrafted and is now a LB with Carolina. Peppers is obviously a much better athlete though.

Special teams value and that athleticism on defense would be a welcome addition imo. When you have red paint, you paint the barn red. Butler would find a way to use him effectively.

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Freak athlete. Would he be used in a similar manner to Tyrann Matthieu? Or would he be more of a Cravens/Deone Buchannon type guy that ends up as a 4-3 WOLB. Would he just play SS? Idk.

The lack of defensive production scares me a bit, but as a returner he'd be great. Idk what direction the Steelers will be looking this year, but you gotta think defense probably in the first. I could totally see Peppers on our radar

10. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Strongly disagree that Peppers is better than Ramsey was

I also have McKinley as my #1 Pittsburgh target in the draft... however, it is going to require trading up. McKinley is going to fly up draft boards post combine.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

In terms of how versatile Peppers can be used is why I stated he is better. Ramsey is a better cornerback but Peppers is a more versatile player to have.

I do agree that Pittsburgh may have to trade up as well. Given McKinley's athleticism, he may be long gone by the time we see him.

12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    To me, this may be a draft where you do out and get a big difference maker stud. I think you have to look at the starters. Where do I get that huge difference maker to put this team over the top.

Dline? No, I think we have our starters.
    OLB? Yes, maybe. We see today how different this D is when it gets pressure on the QB.
    ILB? No. Not yet IMO. I could see us drafting an ILB, but probably not in round 1.
    CB? Yes. Burns and Cockrell I both like, but adding the #1 corner in this draft may just provide you the guy you need.
    S? Yes. Mitchell hasn't played horrible, but he has his tackling issues that I worry about.
    QB? No
    RB? No
    WR? Maybe. Add a guy to play next to AB and watch this offense fly. If MB comes back this is a No.
    TE? Maybe. Again, you have to wonder where James is in his development and if Green can come back. You probably don't need to trade up to get this guy, but seeing what a great TE can do in this offense would be nice.
    Oline. No.

So to me, if you can go up and get a stud OLB. Someone who can get to the QB. THAT is who you go get and take.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm intrigued by a few guys that may not be top first rounders but have some game that could help. of course i've mentioned devonte fields from louisville. he has a team mate that i also see being a possibility in josh harvey- clemons. could this cat bird become another shazier for us? he plays mostly safety for them but his size at 6-4 228 and he runs a 4.58 40. he's built long too. could he be a guy that could make that move to inside backer for us? he has speed enough for dropping into coverage on backs and TE's. he tackles pretty well. may need some strength added but most do. how do you think he would fit in this scenario here?

terell basham from ohio u. i've seen him play a good bit. he's more of a down linemen in they're defense but he's got the body and coordination to probably stand up as an OLB in our scheme. may take a little time to learn that spot but most DE's do. size he has but quickness isn't as great as we may need. alot of these guys have upside but are just missing that it factor.

keenan gilchrest app. st. possible ILB in the form of shzier. active LB with a nose for tackles. :cool:

thoughts on these guys.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No I wouldn't want Peppers in the first round, edge rusher/olb is the choice.