1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I've got a bad feeling about this

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by sec108, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sec108

sec108 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Having had season tickets for 20 years now and enjoying the Steelers 204-115 regular season WL totals over that period, not to mention 4SB's played and 2SB's won, I've got a bad feeling about the next 5-7 years or so. I believe that we will be competitive next year and perhaps the year after, but age will eventually take its toll. The O line, the D line (basically the whole D), not to mention Big Ben has played 8 years and has pretty much been able to take a pounding each year, how many does he have left? To have remained on top basically for 20 years is remarkable. To extend that another 20 would be incredible!! I am afraid that there may be too many positions to fill. But hey, I will be there on Sundays, cold beer in hand, screaming my lungs out no matter the record. :herewego:

2. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dude, you need to cheer up. The pats lost the Super Bowl last night and we're getting a new OC. It's all good. :thumbs_up:

3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    A lot of people thought the same thing after our last 6-10 season, and the high draft pick allowed us to re-tool and get even better than we previously had been.

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The earth is made up of hills and valleys.
    Light travels is waves.
    Sound travels in waves.
    Our Life cycle is constructed of ups & downs.

Climb the hills with steadfast consistantly faithful passionate determination.
    Ride the slopes ( waves) with EQUAL passionate joy & excitement.

Balance both for overindulging one lessens the other.

Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!

Cajun-

5. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm sleepy all of a sudden.

6. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    yeah, it's definitely hitting us all at once (hines, hampton, aaron smith, polamalu(?), farrior, harrison(?), etc) . . .

what we DO have going for us is an all-pro center going into only his third year, a franchise qb with another 5+ years left, a pretty solid and young receiving corps, and some talent and youth in the running game. give us a solid o-line, and this team can be pretty damn competitive (offensively, at least) for another 5-7 years.

on the defensive side of the ball, it's going to be interesting to see how heyward and hood step up. can we find the next big snack in the draft? can we upgrade our secondary and find the next farrior at ILB? we've certainly got more question marks on the defensive side of the ball but it seems that the top teams in football these days (giants, new england, green bay, new orleans, etc) have strong offenses that compenstate for marginal defensive play.

it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. 6-10 seasons are no fun at all. we've been spoiled. hopefully, art rooney can steer this ship with the same patience and leadership that dan and the chief did. hopefully we can maintain consistency with omar khan and kevin colbert making the personnel decisions without too much interference from above. hopefully we can continue to allow our young, talented coach to continue to lead our players. this team has been consistently great for forty straight years now. hopefully, we can continue to maintain that consistency.

it's in art's hands now. will he try to put his stamp on this franchise or will he merely continue to maintain what his predecessors built?

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

8. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Cheer Up. We will be fine.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Poetic and well said. Life is good. :)

10. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Awesome Saying. :applaud:

11. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

Relax, it will be okay. I promise.

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Indeed.

You are as never as good as your last victory or as bad as your last defeat.

Hard times will come, Hard times will pass, and never forget Good times, too, are temporary.

The Good Lord has a way of punishing arrogance, avoid the urge to gloat when you're on top.
    The Good Lord has a way of rewarding persistance, so never give up or get dispirited when you're on the bottom.

No matter how high and mighty you think you are, someone will always have more,
    No matter how down and out you are, someone will always have less.

Be grateful for all you have, but always try to improve yourself.

Face life with a smile. Being happy or being miserable is mostly a choice, chose wisely.
    Pain is inevitable, your life will have plenty of it, but suffering is optional, don't wallow in it.

It doesn't matter where you nor matter what you, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    All is well. This is one of the best run teams in all of professional sports, yes we may have a down year every now again but we don't stay down for long. When the Steelers play their best and they are healthy, there isn't a doubt in my mind that they can beat any team.

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Wow, this thread is getting all philosophical and *hit!

ITS FOOTBALL people!

Perspective and priorities please.

This is pure entertainment, nothing more. Worrying about if the Steelers are going into a period of suckiness is like worrying about if Nick Cage is going into a period making sucky movies (ooops too late for that.)

15. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yea they are bad aren't they :roflmao:

16. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We're at the point where we're starting to get younger, not older. The only real question marks I see are, how successful will Butler be when he takes over, how productive can the next OC make our offense, and what will the Steelers post Ben look like?

17. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    40 years of consistent dominance. 40 years. That's probably longer than many of the members of this site have been alive! As long as the philosophy stays the same, and the Steelers continue to re-load rather than rebuild, the down years will be minimized and the competitive years will be the norm. We are going on 1/2 CENTURY of excellence.

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Thought we were 12-4 :scratch: Okay, 12-5

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Nah, I think he was saying after the last time we finished 6-10. Back in '03. :sick:

20. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes spoiled is right ...

Since Art II took over in 2003, the Steelers won the SB in 2005, ending the 25 year drought. The Steelers won the SB again in 2008, and appeared in the SB in 2010.

Yes, lets all hope the Steelers are still successful while Art II is president.

Oh my ... The Steelers just merely been in 3 SB's in the 9 year since Art II been president... What a pitty!!

21. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    you totally missed the context of my post. not surprising for a guy who spells pity with two t's.

spin it any way you'd like, but dan rooney was THE leader of this franchise until he took on the role of ambassador to ireland in the summer of 2009 (AFTER the sixth lombardi was won). art II merely inherited the 'president' role as dan took on the 'chairman' role of the organization. as dan has spent more time in his new venture, art has taken on a bigger role in the operation of this franchise. art is slowly becoming THE face of this organization. since 1988, it has been dan.

but go ahead and label our most recent two super bowl titles as art's work since he "took over" in 2003.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    If you're going to criticize others for their spelling, you'll probably want to try to capitalize a word properly here and there. No one likes the grammar police. :thumbs_up:

23. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    no thanks.

24. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I get your feeling. I have a bit of it, too. I feel somewhat better with the hiring of Haley, and I a anxious to see what the team can do to shore up the o-line. I am also a bit skeptical of the young players on defense. But if the offense does its job, the defense only needs to worry about keeping teams to 23 pts or less. The offense SHOULD be putting up 28+ per game. No excuses.

25. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I do. And if someone corrects my spelling and/or grammar I'm grateful for it.