1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It's time to draft a good QB. Use the 2nd rounder

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Frost33, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    It's clear that this team needs a backup QB. Ben isn't getting any younger and his playstyle, while leading to great plays also sets him up for being hit and injuries. You can't change who he is, and honestly I don't want to, it's why he's special. With that said, Ben's time is ticking and it's time to start looking for a successor. Draft a QB early in the draft to groom and get ready to take over.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the team who drafts a player have the rights to said player for 5 years? Treat a QB successor like the Packers did with Rodgers and try to make the transition WHEN it happens as easy as possible. Paxton Lynch from Memphis looks like a Ben prototype and needs time to mature, he could be perfect. I really like what I saw from Carson Wentz out of North Dakota, another big QB and could be around in the 2nd.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Disagree on using an early pick on a QB. There are plenty of quality vet backups on the market this offseason. Go and get Matt Moore or Colt McCoy. Also, the 5 years rights only apply to 1st rounders. For 1st rounders, the team gets a 5th year option. Otherwise, the rookie contracts are 4 years, and then the payer becomes an unrestricted free agent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No, can we dress Gradkowski this week?

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Drafting a QB won't help us next week, which is when we will possible need one.

Unless there's a shock retirement by Ben - and he's already shown that he has to be dead before he's taken off the field - I can't see us using a high pick on a QB.

5. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    That hadn't occurred to me, but I thought we had him designated in some way that said he couldn't come back this year at all. Could be wrong, though.

6. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    If we're desparate next week, I suppose we could always re-sign Brian Hoyer... :facepalm:

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No. Pouncey got the IR-designated to return tag. Grad was plain old IR, and is ineligible.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Grad was IR'd. Players on Injured Reserve can't return during the season (or postseason).

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe Pouncey can play QB

10. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Can Toussant throw the ball? Guy can do just about everything else...

• Like Like x 1
  11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    But you got to admit our backup Jones does not have NFL arm strength. We've seen high school quarterbacks with stronger arms.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  12. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Dang I just posted about this in an earlier post
    If there's a good one late n the first I'd take him
    We got to get someone that can help the team

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    No. We won't waste a second round pick on a guy we want to be Ben's back up. Too early to start looking for Ben's replacement too. If Cardale Jones is available in the 4th or so, maybe I'd bite but other than that hell no.

We need that pick for some of our other issues (secondary).

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Didn't Heath play QB in high school? He's built like Ben, stick him in there.

Or sign Antwan Randle El and have him run that Superbowl XL trickplay on every snap

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im fine with Jones as the back up and too soon to draft Bens replacement.

@JAD, Jones has a very strong arm.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    No picks on QBs! The only QB I like is Jared Goff. He will be gone rounds 1-2.

And anyways... the Steelers don't need a QB. Landry Jones is so-so, Dennis Dixon dodn't work out... so fail again in developing a late round pick?

No rookie QB will be as good as Gradkowski or Vick. Yeah, I know Vick is an evil dog killer. He still has 110 games of experience as a starter.

I think this is a terrible year to draft a QB.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If there was a QB worth taking, this maybe a possibility but
    I haven't seen an impressive one in years that translates to what the Steelers need.
    Ben has possibly three years left, I think we will stay with a vet backup until he is done.

18. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I agree for the most part but one QB I will be keeping my eye on is Kevin Hogan Stanford. I think this is a guy that will fall but if he shoots up into the 2nd I am not interested. I also agree with Blast let's see what vet's are out there and not spend a pick on a back up.

19. Lambert's Lunatic58

Lambert's Lunatic58 Member

Aug 21, 2015
    I do have to give the Bengals credit for one thing - they are much better prepared to replace Andy Dalton than we are prepared to replace Ben when he decides to hang it up. And as much as he's been hurt this year, who can guess when that will be. But I have been impressed with McCarron from what I've seen of him. If the Bengals want to hang on to Dalton as their QB, I wouldn't mind a bit to McCarron groomed to take over for Ben one day. I think he could play within our offense. Just my opinion.

20. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Agree 100%.

To expect our backup QB to come in to a nasty environment (where our elite starting QB was even struggling) and perform at a high level is significantly off-base. As a fan I wanted more from him, of course, but I can live with his performance knowing that he's our backup QB.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    If they spend a 2nd on a backup QB I'll get an apartment in Cincinnati.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I call dibs on the couch..... Just sayin.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

I think gradkowski will be released in the off season, I mean really, what has he done since he's been here besides nothing anyway.......

24. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree. Nothing against the guy, but what I have seen of him in a Steeler uniform, I wouldn't say it was a huge upgrade from what we have in Jones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Liar!:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1