1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ITS TIME THEY MUST GO !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by markthadon, Dec 19, 2011.

1. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    :amen:

While I'm not a B.A. fan, I'm not sure there was a huge problem with the game plan. Heck, it got us down the field in the first drive and they were moving the ball on the second. Two stupid interceptions ended those potentially productive drives and if Ben hadn't thrown them and the Steelers had scored, there would be no "Fire BA/Tomlin" Threads on this board. Instead, Ben made two colosal mistakes that cost us momentum and, I think, the ballgame.

2. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. BA's not on my Christmas card list either but I mean C'mon ! I guess 10 or 20 more hand-offs to the RB's for 2 or 3 yards a pop would have made a difference. Get real LOL

3. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

After what I saw last night, Arians is the last person I would be blaming. I am really disappointed in the lack of intensity our D had. I am disappointed that Tomlin allowed Ben to stay in the game when it was clear he was killing us. And, lets not forget, our avg. starting spot was inside the 20 and SF was close to mid field. Their punter was really good last night. :frustrated:

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    However they were getting gashed for runs of over 8 yards through out the game. Had Ben been able to run a regular offense that included taking snaps under center they can then run play action and make the Niner's defend the whole field instead of stacking against the run or putting in their rookie pass rushing stud. Had they been able to work the whole playbook I think would see them running the ball effectively against this "#1 rushing D" than what they were doing already last night.

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm with you. I think Arians and LeBeau (and Tomlin, by extension) did a pretty good job, last night. The D was constantly protecting a short field and I thought they did a good job until the 2nd TD allowed (I'll give them a mulligan on the first on that gadget play to Davis by SF). And, as you mentioned... Steelers O was consistently pinned inside the 20.

I think it's time we all stopped blaming the coaches and at least consider the option that it's the personnel, on the field. Ben was horrible, last night. The O-Line became horrible in pass protection in the second half, and didn't run block very well for the whole game (with the exception of a couple of delayed runs that called for pulling TEs and Guards.) The offensive tackles played like ****e.

I have to put this loss moreso on the offense, than anything. All they managed was 3 points. That's pathetic. A loss to SF? I knew it was a possibility. They are a good team, this year. But 20-3? That's too much.

I think the frustration many of us feel is the lack of consistent play by this team.

But, hey, it's just about when we're at this point (and usually, just as now, right before the playoffs) that the Steelers go Rocky Balboa when the league least expects it.

So, here's to putting this one loss behind us, and moving on to getting these last two wins, and watching our Steelers in January football.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!! HERE WE GO!!!!

6. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes but he couldn't so there you have it. I believed a hobbled Ben gave us the best chance of winning last night. He didn't and I was wrong.

7. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Man please, I was watching the same game you were watching. BA throws the ball 44 times with a QB with a bad wheel. How many times did he get sacked? You see what happened, they lost, so what were you looking at. Everytime the Steelers throw the ball that many times they lose, point blank. Don't give me that stupid stuff about the 49ers having the best run defense. Even Mendenhall had some pretty good runs on them. I can think of several times when they should have ran the ball instead of throwing it down field, like the two interceptions Ben threw in the 1st quarter. They should have ran the ball and maybe they would have come away with points or either better field position. I'm sticking by my guns with this. Yes, BA is the blame most of the time when we lose. HE has no clue on how to develop a run game. There are so many examples of this. What does it take for people like you to see that this guy is a killer for this team?

Example, I watch the Cardinals line up with a full back in the I formation on Sunday and run the ball from the two yard line and score a TD on 2nd down very easily against the Browns. BA couldn't get it into the end zone from with four trys against the same Browns team from the 2 yard line after lining up in his famous one back set. Guess who the Cardinals OC is, Ken Whisenhunt?

I will just get to the bottom line, the Steelers will never win another Super Bowl with BA as the OC. The sooner the organization realizes this the better. BA has turned this team into a pitch and catch non productive offense. How else can you explain that they only got 14 against the Browns and only 3 last night against the 49ers. What happened to that explosive passing offense that they were talking about during the pre season because of all our great wide receiving corps? He doesn't use Redman enough. I guess Redman probably feels that BA has no respect for his talents. As you can see it hasen't worked.

Mr. Rooney needs to step in again and tell Tomlin to get back into the running game. No better yet, just get rid of Bruce Arians because he didn't listen. He went right back to his pass happy ways and said dam what Mr. Rooney is talking about. So, because of BA's stubborn ways, they should fire his butt when the season is over, don't bring him back. They need to get the best person out there. Somebody who can control Ben because Tomlin can't, and because Ben thinks he is Drew Brees or Tom Brady.

Sick of this trash!!!!

8. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Really edog? Maybe we weren't watching the same game last night - because the game I was watching the Steelers offense outgained San Francisco. Look at the stats: Overall yards: Steelers. First downs: Steelers. Time of Posession: Steelers. Third down efficiency: Steelers. Average yards per rush: Steelers. Average yards per play: Steelers.

Looking at it from the statistical point of view, the Steelers should have won this game. Three things kept that from happening. First - the Steelers were playing with the long field the whole game. Second - the Defense failed EPICALLY after Suisham kicked the 51-yard field goal (momentum shift). Third - BEN committed stupid turnovers (4). NONE of this is on B.A. None of it. He had the right gameplan. The statistics show it. The failure of the offense lies on BEN - and it didn't even matter that he was playing on one leg. He could have had 2 good legs and the Steelers wouldn't overcome his 4 turnovers. In fact, if there was a coaching fail - it was Dick LeBeau, because it was the defense who gave up the long drive after the field goal. That, in my opinion was the whole game, because a stop there and a return to an offense that was moving the ball well may just have resulted in at least a tie.

The statistics don't lie, and though I'm not a B.A. fan, he had things planned correctly last night. Ben just didn't come through like we've come to expect.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would agree going into the game I thought he would as well. But by halftime it should have been apparent that he could not and maybe they should start using Charlie or Dixon just to spell Ben and keep the Niners off balance. Instead they figured well it is a 6 pt lead at halftime and the team is making plays so eventually they will break through. Big lack of communication on this team.

10. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Don't forget that historically, Ben has been the hero. He has done it so many times, we've come to expect it. I honestly can't argue with the decision to leave him in until the sack/fumble. After that, I didn't see the logic in it, but before? We have been spoiled by a quarterback who has shown a propensity for pulling things out in those kinds of circumstances. So, in hindsight, while it may have seemed they should have pulled Ben, in the thick of the game, with things still within reach, I can see why he was left in.

11. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Who cares what the stats are if you don't score! This has been the story of this offense, put up big numbers with no points. Arians sucks in the redzone (I know we didn't get there much last night though).

12. Steelballz

Steelballz Active Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Dumbest thing I have read so far today, you must be a troll or a complete moron! Turn in your fan card and leave please!

13. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This.

I can forgive the defense giving up 1 TD... but two? And against a team who probably sucks worse than the Steelers at red zone offense...

I'm going to keep throwing this out there: the issue is the personnel, on the field. Not the coaches.

14. steelgirl ny 47

steelgirl ny 47 Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It seems that everytime the front door opens, the playing calling slams it shut. Hope the players and coaches WAKE THE HELL UP!!!

15. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    The REASON we did not SCORE had nothing to do with Arians. Did you see the 4 turnovers? The gameplan was there. The offensive failure was on Ben - and he admitted as much.

The STATS reflect a solid gameplan because the Steelers moved the ball effeciently and regularly. The failures to score were because of epic failures including both turnovers and penalties. I'm not a pro coach, but I would venture to say that you don't write those into a game plan.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

Thank you, someone who thinks like me. Sometimes it's not game plan but execution of the plan, and in this game the executed themselves.

17. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Marty Schottenheimer got fired after his team went 14-2...

18. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I honestly don't care whether BA would stay or go. I wouldn't shed a tear either way. However, last night's game is NOT the case that the haters should be using to make their case. It would be like a prosecutor trying to get the death penalty for a criminal and using the ONE murder the guy committed in self-defense as his evidence. Last night was one of BA's better performances. Yet - I don't see a single person saying we should cut Ben.

19. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with ya on that Thorn

20. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    No sense in trying to talk reason. Consider that our offense is giving the ball away more than usual this year, our defense is creating less turnovers than ususal this year and brain fart offensive penalties have been repeatedly killing drives it's still all BAs fault LOL ! Just LOL !!!

21. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Exactly. In fact, this year has probably been one of BA's better years overall and one of our offense/defense's worst when it comes to what we typically expect. I was actually thinking last night that they could pull things off based on the playcalling I saw and then - BOOM - interception. BOOM - penalty. BOOM - another interception. No OC can create a plan to overcome ineptitude on the field and that's what we saw from Ben when it counted last night. Leg or no leg, he should have seen that he wasn't helping the team and pulled HIMSELF off of the field.

22. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

I don't understand the BA hate. we started drives consistently inside the 20 without our starting center, big ben's ankle limited his mobility AS WELL AS his accuracy, #1 rush D in the nfl and running out of the shotgun is tough to do effectively. Also there were 0 Wide receiver screens for all you haters, see how many points that got us?

23. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

remember the part where we lost both of our premier pass rushers on a defense which is based off of rushing the passer and timing blitzing which disrupts pass plays. one TD was set up by the ben fumble on our 20 and the other was held to a FG then the phantom leaping call on timmons

24. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I forgot about the bogus leaping call. However, with the way they were pinned at the beginning of the drive, even a field goal was a fail by the defense IMO. To give up such a long drive after the field goal to bring it to 6-3 was a momentum killer and inexcusable by our defense.

25. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    ...and that was the dumbest firing ever!!! the Bolts went down hill from there.