1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Its amazing to me.....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    that some people think Trubisky is not permitted to throw deep ?

If he has 3 or 4 targets on any pass play , and 1 goes deep on a crossing pattern and is open , they believe its the OC's fault and not Trubisky that he is throwing to the flat.

I almost got into an argument over this.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Mitch is definitely missing some reads, But the playcalling and offensive philosophy is the real culprit.

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. Steelers-MT

Nov 9, 2017
    Yeah I almost thought i was crazy for a second.

The OC calls the plays , and its the QB decision to where he throws .
    You dont throw to a covered player, so if the deep man was open you throw him the ball.
    Mitch is not doing this.

4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    There is no one or the other. This is a combination of failures. I am glad you didn't get into that argument. You would have lost.

5. Steelers-MT

Nov 9, 2017
    How would I have lost ??
    Mitch is missing players open.

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    There were times when there were guys open. There were times when there were no deep routes called on a play. Again it is a combination of poor play calling and poor QB play.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    He is. But there is more to it than that.

8. Steelers-MT

Nov 9, 2017
    My only question was when a player was open deep. I dont remember the exact play but we had a WR open and Mitch threw to the flat.
    They believe that Mitch is told to do this by the OC.
    That is crazy to me.
    The OC calls the plays, and the QB chooses where to throw.

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He's probably playing ultra conservative so that he doesn't lose the game by giving the ball away. On Steelers Nation Radio they were postulating that if Mason Rudolph was his primary back up, the might be playing more loose than he is. Whereas, he's constantly hearing calls for him to get the hook and make way for KP. Happens on here every 12th post or so.

Obviously, he just needs to get a win and then start stacking wins. Do that, and the calls will subside. Start stacking losses and well, he will be watching from the sidelines.

10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm not sure on this but Mitch may not have the best field vision in the NFL. Also for a QB to look at all his options he needs time. Little tough for any QB to survey the field when you got monsters coming at you trying to knock you on your ass.

I do believe if Canada dry would call a play for a deep ball to DJ the Steelers could pull it off.

11. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    You can look at my thread, i broke down every play good and bad from mitch.

12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The line of thinking I believe some of us are at is… Was Bens arm was dead or is Trubisky sh!t scared? Either way there is a common denominator between the 2 QB’s and the 2 in between (Duck and Mason) and be it fichtner or Canada but this O is not playing the line to gain the majority of the time. Shoddy line okay don’t help but it appears the O seems to be pretty handcuffed and has been for awhile now.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If we go back and look at the play from week 1 the overthrow to Pickens you see several factors conspired to wreck that play and one of them is poor OL play and the other is Mitch no trusting them. Canada shares the blame as well because while he is not throwing the ball he needs to communicate with the QB coach and Mitch about what they are seeing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Again, that is not necessarily true. On some passing plays quarterbacks are given a tiered route tree. Then they go through their progressions, and choose who to throw to based off coverage. Some pass plays are designed to go to a specific spot, or may only have a two man high/low option. Not all routes are run in order for the person running that route to get the ball. Sometimes guys are just running off defenders to open up underneath routes.

Like I said there are just so many variables. Stating that the quarterback throws to who he wants to way over simplifies things. There is much more to it. If I had to put a number on it I would say blame is a 60/40 Trubisky/Canada split.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Mitch might be serviceable somewhere and this offense might be serviceable somewhere, but that somewhere isn't here in both instances.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    :th thgoodpost:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Mitch doesn’t see the field. Awareness, football acumen are imperative to solid QB play. He throws a nice ball but at times he literally looks lost or confused. Ben may have not been old Ben last season but he could often find ways to win (winnable) football games by reading defenses, calling audibles.

Even with average O-Line play we should at least be winning the winnable games (Clev/NE/Jets) especially with all the firepower we have in our receiving core.

The illegal man downfield penalty on the long run shuffle play and Dionte Johnson dropping a perfect long ball while Myles Garret was bearing down on Mitch were 2 critical plays that really cost us in the end.

• Like Like x 1