1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It wasn't a mother loving catch!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Dec 22, 2017.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    7FC4272F-9613-4482-8F24-BDBF6346D973-353-0000004107E618E8.jpeg

Ball on the ground! Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Here's where I'm at with it. Probably want a catch based on the rules. At the same time since they called it a touchdown it probably shouldn't have been overturned based on the rules.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
  4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Maybe if he managed to keep both hands on the ball. However as you can plainly see he didn't. I'm sure in this day and age of super high def slow motion that's exactly what the refs saw and why it was overturned. James didn't maintain control of the ball and the ball hit the ground. End of story.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Only thing missing is the time and date stamp with a shot of th ref blowing the whistle

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Not by the rules, but it's a TD for any other position breaking the plane and ground causing etc...
    Rule needs to be addressed again. What's good for the gander is good for the goose and it would no doubt cause some damn problem down the road in other scenarios somehow. Either way you dice it, if balls that break the plane can be fumbled away and TDs still stand, or if people flying out of bounds can just get the ball across a plane and it's a TD, or if players get pushed back a yard after the ball breaks the plane while never themselves getting into the endzone, then in a fair and gentlemanly manner that was a TD for JJ.

So maybe it's a little less about what is a catch, and what is actually a TD?!?!?! ****s maddening. On to Houston.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Another thread on this? Good thing we are not the players on the team; way time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

It's not a catch so it can't possibly be a td.

9. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017

Nah OP just wants to prove to me he actually AGREES with me...lol

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Wasn't last week anyhow hahahahaha

11. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Jan 16, 2017

Thanks OP you didn't have to go thru all this trouble to prove I was right ..

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Can't the ball touch the ground as long as you maintain control of the ball? I agree it wasn't a catch, just felt like there wasn't enough to overturn it. At the same time though I also feel if it had been called incomplete on the field there's no way the could have overturned the call.
    Either way I was over it till you started it back up.
    :hehehe:

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Knee down, Elbow down, control of the ball to make a football move, ball crosses the GL = TD. Called on field a TD. Not enough evidence during replay with a conclusive view to overturn the call on the field.

First time in my life of watching football where a ball "didn't survive the ground" is a BS excuse to make this weeks games more meaningful and important.

TD unless it's against the Pats (3 times this season).

BTW - I'm not wearing any tin foil hat.

PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

What was the football move? Since when did knee down or elbow down mean anything if your not touched in the NFL? It's there in color that James didn't control the ball and the ball is on the ground.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  15. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Jan 16, 2017

Tony Romo and the other guy called it a td for sure but then both were like why are the officials taking sooooo long under the booth and as soon as they saw ball hit the ground they are like omg this one is coming back.

16. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I know it's a tough game and all that, but how does the back of his left hand end up on the ball? Catch and hold it JJ. Not varsity enough....he didn't do his job and finish the play.

17. SteelCurtainBestEVA

SteelCurtainBestEVA Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Strummerfan is right!
    I’m just wondering if he’s trying to educate the fan base or rub salt in the wounds:hmm::hehehe:

18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Can we reach a record number of disagrees on OP's post?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You can disagree all you want, but the proof is in the pudding. Unlike you and your tinfoil hat wearing brethren I provide proof as opposed to your what aboutisms.

It was 1772 and the ref through a flag and the patriots won! Oh noes the fix is in! Fire goodell fire goodell rah rah

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    A friend of mine from work (Bengal's fan) told me he heard someone on NFL network say that an official explained on Monday that Ben completed the pass, but JJ didn't catch it. Wrap your head around that one.

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

If he meant Ben put the ball on target and on time then yeah I got nothin

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

They were talking about that on the radio today.

With the 10,000 frames per second technology, they should replay every single down in the NFL cause I guarantee they miss spot the ball on each and every play. All the holding that goes on we can catch those infractions too. I mean, if we demand absolute proof for the outcome of all the plays like what everyone is doing here for this particular play, we might as well dissect the game to it's fullest in order to get the true results. Games will be 8 1/2 long and boring as heck but in the long run it will be worth the wait so that we can make sure the ball "survives" the honest game it's supposed to be.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The ball moved, so he didn't maintain control.

That said, I doubt the officials saw a picture this good during the replay. I'm sure we'd know about it if they did. Of course, the defense of the call was handled poorly by what's-his-name from the league, which added to the trouble.

It was the right call, though I agree that at the time the officials didn't have irrefutable evidence, so it shouldn't have been overturned.

The other issue is the Patriots got a game-winning touchdown against the Texans on a play that should have been overturned for the exact same rule. To be clear, I'm not crying conspiracy theory here. I'm saying it was incompetence. The James call was the right call made the wrong way. The call in Patriots-Texans offered even clearer evidence and wasn't overturned. That both went the Patriots' way and either one would have been enough to put the Steelers in the top seed is why this stuff still has legs.

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What you can't see is JJ's incredibly long, 12 inch pinkie finger on his right hand, which was CLEARLY under the ball!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is possible he still had part of his hand under the ball, but it doesn't matter if the ball touched the ground because he clearly lost control as his hands hit .