1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It looks like Jags to remain our Daddy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Mar 16, 2018.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Denver drafted von Miller(their franchise cornerstone and best player), Chris Harris, demariyus Thomas, Bradley roby, etc... it was a combination of draft and free agency and still look at the browns. They spend big and have failed isn't like everyone successfl from it. And we drafted great OFFENSIVE PLYERS but DEFENSIVELY has been bad for the most part.

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They are division 1 subdivision right?

3. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I think that Cam Heyward, Ryan Shazier, TJ Watt have been excellent pick ups. The fact is we do not have the option of drafting a Patrick Peterson, Suh or Garrett because we have enjoyed so much success over the years.

4. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    There have been several late round picks we could have taken everyone good isn't a top ten pick. Shazier was a great pick. Heyward decent and the jury is still out on watt but so far I like him. But other than them defensively has been bad in the draft and free agency.

5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Correct but my uncle played there back in the 90s and he passed a few years back so I choose to go there.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You are correct about late round picks however if they were late round picks that also means more then the Steelers were wrong about them, round after round after round. You say elite look at 2016 2 of the elite players were top 5 picks(Bosa&Ramsey) and we just don't get them kind of picks heck we don't get top 15 picks. When was the last time we had a top 15 picks, Ben???? I am thinking you are a little hard on your criticism of the drafting of our defense. First off nobody hits the draft like I said before 50-60-70% every year. And iit is very hard to hit it on both sides of the ball, we have done pretty good/great on offense. Throw in a player like Shazier who was an elite player and the fact that we got 5 starters in the last 3 drafts is pretty good. That isn't including how many played I am just saying starters, yeah we need a play maker I get where your coming from with that. I just feel there is more to it than saying we drafted bad, play calling and scheme is a big factor as well. I know this sounds optimistic but I really think you are going to see Davis step up this year as a play maker now that he will be playing more "center field" and Burnett more in the box. jmo

7. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats cool. I wasnt meaning anything bad by it. I was asking cause i knew some scools like georgia st and appy st moved up. Didnt think they did but was asking

8. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Maybe but we’ve been a very successful team overall.

9. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'll give you that. Of the schools in the conference the only other one worth mentioning is grambling state.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You're right no one absolutely always hits in the draft but I'm talking 10 years in the tomlin span of bad defensive draft picks I do give them credit on offense but we see with elite qb play you don't need the best of the best weapons to succed plus our problem has been defense and not offense since Ben has Been the starting qb. And if you rank some of these guys who are our starters they are at the bottom of rankings in their positions. I can think of alot of dbs id rather have then ours especially burns and the safties and on some teams their entire secondary would start over ours.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah we have. Just feel like if we had just a decent defense like say Philly or even the falcons level we would have won a chip these last few years.

13. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I will completely disagree on the bad draft picks. I will give u some bad secondary picks but for me the past 2 years have improved. But you cant question timmons, shazier, heyward, tuitt, watt, hargrave, williams, among others on defense. I still think worilds would have been good if not retired.

14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I like watt but still too early. Shazier no explanation needed. Heyward solid pick. Timmons was picked in 07 I'm talking 2010 and on but he was a good pick. Tuitt can' stay healthy and haegrace is ok but the whole front seven looked bad without shazier.

15. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Injury is all that will stop watt from being solid. U can see that and thats not on tomlin. Injuries have slowed dupree, who i still think will be good. Same with tuitt. Sometimes you can just tell who can play and who cant. In my opinion tomlin has missed, and i shouldnt say tomlin cause its not just him, as missed on 2 first rounders. Jones and hood. Hood i hated. I actually liked the jones pick but that didnt work out.

Not alot of franchises have done better in 1st rd. Not to bad in late rounds either. If they could have just hit on 2 or 3 of those corners. That is what makes it look bad

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Major? Good luck to you. :smiley1:

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They haven't but I can say more than half of the league has better defensive personell than we do. Now offense no one is better you came argue Philly due to scheme but offensively we are the best so it' like you suffer some for the better of the other but my whole point about that has been when we had just good but not great talent on offense with a great defense we won because we had an elite qb. With a great offense and a bad defense we have not been successul in terms of championships. And watt is good so far but will he be a gasme changer? That's yet to be determined is what I'm saying.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Criminal justice and thanks.

19. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand but i look at it different. We went from the oldest d to one of the youngest in 4 years. Hard to do.imo you have shazier, burns, wattt, dupree, tuitt, williams, chickalo, davis, hargrave, and several backups playing on rookie contracts still. Along with a safety that sucks and average corners. Because we did miss on some of them

I think sutton will be good and allen is a wildcard. Can they be better, absolutely. But i think next couple of years if they can sure up the back end and i think burnett does. They can be a special group. But i am bias lol

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with a lot of what your saying but not all of it. You can't split defensive and offensive picks you have to look at the draft as a whole and there hasn't been many teams out there that have drafted better as a whole than the Steelers. Has there been picks over the years that make you scratch you head hell year. Just recently we drafted a LS just to cut him and waste that pick. We also draft midget RB's and DB's and get nothing from them. Also speaking of DB's that was a position we kept ignoring in the draft so I get where you coming from. However you then have to look at the guys that we did hit on and where AB(6th), Wallace(3rd), Sanders(3rd), Worilds(2nd), Beachum(7th), VW(6th), Bell(2nd), MB(4th), Tuitt(2nd), Shazier(1st), Heyward(1st) all pretty much starters and we hit on them up and down in the draft. That imo is some pretty good drafting and it is very hard to find guys like Ramsey or Miller like you keep pointing out when you draft where we do. Both them guys were top 5 draft picks and out best draft pick in 10 years has been at #15 and that was Shazier, imo an elite player.

It is very easy to say man I wish we took Collins instead of Dupree now or to talk about certain picks as bad. Go back and look at the draft with Burns and then look at the next 15 picks who should we have taken? I trust the Steelers when they make decisions when it comes to the draft cause they do know what they are doing, I don't always agree but I trust them. I know where your coming from it is easy to say we need a playmaker but where do we get him picking this far back every year. We have to settle with hitting playmakers on the other side of the ball and hope the guys we draft Burns, Dupree, Davis, Watt turn into good ball players. Right?

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Especially considering we draft from the bottom of the list. Our first round choices are closer to a high second than they are even a mid round first.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Canaday could have turned out to be exactly the player that Arizona cut 3 games into his previous season.
    If the Steelers would have chosen Holba instead, that would have worked too. (Jaguars seem okay with him.)

Better to have two acceptable options and be forced to cut one, then to have no options (and use Harrison as the LS).

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    A decent defense like the Falcons :roflmao:, the same Falcons who blew a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl :facepalm:.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Offense was held to ZERO in the final like 20 mins of the game and they made crucial mistakes. If ATL keeps scoring it would have been impossible for NE to come back.

25. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    We also got rid of Mitchell, which is a massive improvement against a team who plays a scheme such as Jacksonville.

They're good, we're good, football is fun! I'd say people are underrating how good we are in this thread.