1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It Is Time To Double Team Gronk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jay31, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I had this thought since the Patriots defeated the Steelers in the 2016 regular season, but if the Steelers play the Patriots again in the playoffs, I believe that Pittsburgh will have to play double coverage on Rob Gronkowski. That guy has been a headache for Pittsburgh's defense for a while now. He is too big and too much of a skilled tight end for them to play single coverage on him. Pittsburgh don't have the luxury of having a shutdown corner or safety to play him one on one. The Steelers did play hard and tried to disrupt Gronk in today's game with the man to man defense, but it was not enough. I think the Steelers will have to take their chances and force Tom Brady to have to throw the ball to either Danny Amendola and Brandin Cooks more. Tom Brady knows that no one on the Steelers secondary can stop Gronk one on one. So that is why their defense have to make the Brady to Gronk connection more difficult. And I believe they can do that by putting two guys on him. The Steelers have tried playing zone coverage and single man to man coverage on Gronk. Its time to try something else. This was the stat sheet for the Patriots main 3 receiving targets in today's game.

Rob Gronkowski= 9 balls for 168 yds

Brandin Cooks= 4 balls for 60 yds

Danny Amendola= 2 balls for 23 yds

2. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Hey the Pats play the Bills next weekend. Maybe Gronk will have another late hit again. If so, he will only have to sit out last game vs the Jets. It's only a one game suspension.

I hope the Bills show up with fury.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I think every player on opposing teams playing the Pats should wear those stupid Gronk robo arms and smack him around with them. And if anyone questions it just say we need it to protect our arms.

4. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Water is wet

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    The good thing is that the Bills are playing for their playoff lives. If they want to make the playoffs they better take the Pats out and get some free sandwiches from Pittsburgh!

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He should of been doubled the minute he caught the first two passes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was surprised it didn't happen more often also. I guess it wouldn't be a true man to man then is the only problem. I just don't understand it. He was eating Davis alive and always seemed to be 2 to 3 steps ahead of him every catch. U simply cannot cover him with a small safety.

8. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I'm going to keep this short, and sweet. Let's not forget what football is, just a bunch of tough men battling on a field. Connect the dots for yourselves my fellow STEELER NATION FAITHFUL....

Rules:

1) Use edge rusher (LB/D line) to jam Gronk at line. Every down. Quarters 1, 2, 3, and probably much of 4. Special exceptions are allowable. Wear Gronk out, he's big and tough-ish, not a machine. Greg Lloyd would tear him apart. We need a good OLB rotation to accomplish this.

2) Do not use DBs to jam Gronk. Do not use DBs to jam Gronk. Special exceptions are allowed...consider rules 1 and 3.

3) Very seriously consider deploying occasional double coverage on Gronk.

4) I'm not sure. But rules 1, 2, and 3 sound like they're worth considering. Pretty sure I've seen Buffalo jam Gronk out of a game. Made Gronk look weak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I am inclined to put Brian Allen on him man up. Gronk will still over powet him... but this running free and jump ball bs should slow down

HACK

10. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Every team has the same game plan coming in, double their best receiver, except for the steelers I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    To echo what theRealeHarris said, I don't know why they don't change tactics.
    What's the harm with playing him in bump and run. Use the 5 yard chuck rule to your advantage. He should never have a free release. Ever.
    You hit him EVERY TIME you line up across from him.
    Match up Sutton on him (since he's probably the biggest DB) and have Hilton play about 5 yards behind him as a shadow to clean up in case he gets by Sutton. I realize that Hilton gives up 9 inches on Gronk, but he can also lay a good hit when he needs to to jar the ball loose.

12. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Tomlin .... double team gronk? That’s just what they are expecting us to do!

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Day late a dollar short...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They need to bump him at the LOS .. they're just letting him run his route it's all timing

15. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It reminded me of when Ike Taylor was getting touched against the Broncos and no adjustment was made.

Davis also was letting him get a free release off the line of scrimmage. He might be stronger but the fighting would of disrupted the timing and might of have the defense time to get to Brady.

16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I didn't see too many "free releases" in the fourth quarter. Gronkowski just sheds bumps -- he's huge, and he pushes the DB aside pretty effortlessly.