1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is William Gay a candidate to move to safety?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, May 11, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    stafford is said to be looking good so far. i could see davis eventually moving to FS after mitchell. i also don't think we are done bringing in safeties yet. :cool:

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me neither Mac.

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Sadly I don't think Gay makes it out of training camp. He was slow last year and he certainly didn't get faster over the offseason. I think our starting 3 are going to be Cockrell, Burns, and Sensabaugh. I think Sutton or Golson will push for that nickel spot though. That one is a toss up. Gay doesn't do specials and at this point in his career the only thing he brings to the table is experience. I think he final spot will be between Allen and and Gay with Allen getting it.

4. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Gay at safety ? Our CB's are so avg (at least last yr) we may still need the help there. But with that being said, I think the defense stands to make major gains this season because the last half of 2016 they actually played at an elite level (top 3) in the league. But that was all for naught during the AFC game against the Pats

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is this opinion or based on numbers? I'm not arguing, I just like statistics.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    golden, dangerfield, golson, gay are in need of huge preseasons to stay IMHO. gay is probably in the best position to stay of that group though. he could play at least 3 of the 4 DB spots in a pinch. with hilton showing so much promise so far that may be up in the air also. he played some FS at ol' miss as well. gays knowledge is what is keeping him around. he can tackle pretty well too.:cool:

7. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Oh yea. According to ESPN's Max Kellerman. He mentioned it 4 or 5 times right before the playoffs
    Good question bro. I never actually researched it myself, just putting my trust into ESPN's host of First Take, Max Kellerman. He mentioned it at least 10 times late last season in debates with Stephen A. Smith and various guests. He's known as the "analytical man" on the show. I'm "guessing" that's why the team appears to be keeping so much of it's defensive players going into this year. Gonna be interesting to see at what level they play

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think Dangerfield has the back up SS role locked up. He is very good on specials also. Golden fell out of favor real quick and I believe late last year it was Dangerfield coming of the bench and not Golden. Unless I'm missing someone you have both the back up SS in your list.

Edit: Forgot about Stafford but I still think Dangerfield has a real shot at the back up role. His role has continued to grow.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Had similar thoughts after we drafted him as well. Mike may have one or two more good years left in him but Sean could very well be the incumbent to take over when it is all said and done.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's only in shorts but:

burns: lock
    cockrell: lock as well but only signed for one year.
    sutton: lock

davis: lock
    mitchell: lock
    stafford: looking very good and knows the system fairly well. i'm going with lock.

ok thats 6.

sensabaugh: i don't think he's going anywhere. first off we don't normally cut vet FA's brought in. he is familiar with the system too. lock.

thats 7.

CB'S

gay: vet. knows the system. can play slot or outside. not a man corner.
    hilton: having a good mini camp. has been taking reps over golson. good tackler. played some FS in college,
    golson: draft pick. injured for two years basically out of football.
    allen: draft pick. size. speed. making some noise in mini camp. raw. possible safety?
    dixon: good size. good speed. not brand new.
    ducre: not brand new. has some game experience.

Safety:

golden: vet. didn't have a great year in 2016, ST's captain. lost playing time late in the year.
    dangerfield: vet to a point. has hung around for a few years. saw more playing time in 2016 finally but numbers were down. ST's.
    hagan: young. not fast. good size. futures pickup. decent college play. long shot.
    webb: UDFA. not fast. decent college play. long shot.

Late addition:

?????????????

:cool:

11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012