1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is William Gay a candidate to move to safety?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, May 11, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's why I didn't like this draft by Colbert that much, this was a deep safety class and he ignored it. Safety should've been more of a priority than WR,RB,QB those posiotions could've been filled later IMO. Defense wins championships.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    No way Gay moves to Safety. I don't think this is the right move. We have Davis and Mitchell as out starters and as much as I hate Mitchell and am pissed that the Steelers ignored FS in the draft, I don't think taking a hobbled CB and moving him to Safety "because he lost a step" is the answer in any way shape or form. They ignored the position in the draft, mostly due to who fell to them at their respective draft slots, but moving an aging CB is not the answer. We know this because of the interest shown in FA S Tre Boston. They'll stick with Davis and Mitchell and then double dip in the 2018 draft hopefully. It is what it is for the 2017 season and although some fans may not be thrilled with Mitchell, (including myself in that group), MT seems to like the guy and has trust in him. To his credit, he has been durable so we may not have to see a backup come in and disrupt the communication of the defensive secondary. Thank you Big Play Willie Gay for the past services but I expect he is a late cut.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Perhaps the Steelers don't feel the safety position is as bad as some fans do :shrug:

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    A FS prospect could have been brought into the fold imo. Mitchell's stock is dropping like a Tie Domi glove.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    They met with Melifonwu, Budda Baker, Josh Jones, Montae Nicholson, Marcus Maye, and Damarius Travis. I think the interest was there but the draft cards didn't fall in their favor. Hence the FA visit of Boston two weeks or so after the draft. They realized they missed the boat. But I still think it's all good. Mitchell can be serviceable for one more year. They sacrificed Safeties this year to bolster other positions. They'll just re-stock next year.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Mitchel more than most.

Of course, due diligence, they look at a lot of people. And word is they would have taken Obi if he fell to them (which I would have loved). However, they obviously didn't feel it was a big enough need or they'd have moved up to get him.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So they would have taken Obi in round two, but they didn't think they needed to upgrade the position?? Why was the first FA brought in after the draft a S? I think the interest was there, but they would not trade draft capitol to chase it. For safety or any position.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't say interest wasn't there, just that its not as big a need as fans are making it out to be. They took an OLB in the first and had Obi and Jones within reach in the second but stood pat and took a WR.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I see your point...I concede my Mitchell disgust clouds the windows from time to time. But I think a top Safety is #1 on the needs list next year (and Mitchell disappoints once more). Depending on Big Ben of course.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't think Mitchell is that bad, but he's not a stud either. I the first month or two of last season I think he was the second best performer in the secondary (behind Cockrell), but IMO Burns and Davis both passed him by season's end, and Mitchell enters 2017 as the weakest starter on the back end. However, I also think that our 3rd/big nickel safety and nickel corner were even weaker spots, especially in the AFCCG. I think we've taken a solid shot at fixing the nickel corner deficiency both through the draft and free agency, but were not able to get better at big nickel. I think the visit by Boston was more about that 3rd safety spot than Mitchell. I do agree that upgrading Mitchell's spot will be a priority next off season.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think a move will be made for a FA safety before we break camp. there are a few out there and we are bringing in or have brought in a few as UDFA's and futures guys to get a look at. there is a need to make this all work. :cool:

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think thats probably true.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

We are so close, I would keep me eye's open and be proactive.

14. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    No. I would not support Gay conversion. He was born that way...to play slot cb.

15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ok so Gay has lost a step, right? Yet he has always been solid against the run, right? So then it would make sense to drop him back to cover the speedier opponents? Am I thinking clearly?:shrug::hmm::scratch:

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I used to be a hardcore Gay basher but now find him serviceable and even somewhat fabulous. I guess this is my coming out of the Gay closet. Now I guess I just need to decide which bathroom to use?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the one with less people in line.:shrug::smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    William Gay is gonna get cut!!! He cant cover anyone. Plus he's 32 and let Jarvis Landry who ran a 4.77 burn him deep! Good Bye!

19. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Nope.. you've lost your mimd.

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    yea Blast you could be right, but that dosent always make it right, as we have seen in the past. Sometimes we are right, lol. :lolol:

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I still think Brian Allen has the size 6-3 215 and 4.4 speed to be a FS, they should start molding him into a safety in camp, he could be a pick machine at that position STEELERWIRE: His ball skills are tremendous which makes sense. But he also understands route concepts which helps him in coverage.............

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ughh....

***Cues Jordan Whitehead chants***.

I can already here them... :facepalm::facepalm:

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Some good safeties to keep an eye on this upcoming season.

See if James from FSU can recover from that injury and Parker from Oklahoma may be worth a look. Still like Aaron Williams from Nebraska, but that's homerism.:smiley1:

24. Walter Lemons

Walter Lemons Member

Jun 19, 2017
    William gay needs to be replaced he can't cover here is the Achilles heel of the defense he puts them in to many rough spots

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Jordan Whitehead would look great in Black & Gold.