1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Wallace becoming a diva?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Mar 19, 2012.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Anybody heard about Wallace having an attitude problem last year? According to what Ed Bouchette wrote in PG+, it appears that way:

Wallace must prove that what happened to him in the second half of the 2011 season was not a fluke, that the change in his attitude was temporary and out of frustration and that he will remain the big star of this receiving corps and not Antonio Brown.
    --Ed Bouchette

This could explain why the Steelers have been a little lacidaisical in trying to sign him to a long-term deal. It could also explain why some other teams haven't made a strong play for him in free agency. Bouchette seems to know something, but I don't remember reading or hearing anything about it last year. Is he jealous of Brown?

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Omg this is getting ridiculous. I'm amazed by the Wallace hate on these boards and I guess now the PGH media. I'm starting to respect Bouchette and the Post-Gazette less and less. They try to stir up controversy that's not there, which was evident by the Ben/Haley fiasco (I say fiasco sarcasitcally).

There hasn't been an extension because Wallace and his agent probably was 8-10 mil a year, which he could get on the open market, and the Steelers don't want to pay that much. It doesn't make Mike a bad guy, or a diva... It just shows what his priority is. It's awesome when guys want to take a little less to stay with the team that drafted them and to contend but it Wallace wants to get his 10 mil a year next offseason then more power to him.

WTF has wallace ever done to make anyone think he's a diva?

3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

4. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    And by the way, SBD, you can't deny that Wallace disappeared the second half of 2011. That's a fact. And don't give me this stuff that teams were double-teaming Wallace so AB had a bang up second half. I'm not saying that that's not the case, but the truly good receivers find a way to make plays even when they are double-teamed.

5. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I won't deny that Wallace disappeared, but I think he's a huge weapon even when he's not catching passes. If our offense didn't have Mike there's NO WAY that Brown would've had the season that he did. You say "don't give me" that he's doubled... why not? It's true. I'm going to be telling you all "I told you so" when Wallace leaves and Brown suddenly "disappears." Larry Fitzgerald has come back down to earth every since Anquan Boldin left Arizona... Is he not a "good receiver" like you said?

Wallace still got behind coverage in the second half of the season, Ben missed him a lot too. I just find it mind boggling that the guy has 1200 yards and 8 Tds, makes the pro bowl, and people act like he's some middle of the road bum.

6. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Wallace plays soft, I could see an injury prone season from him this year because maybe he'll try a little harder to play for that big multi-year contract..

7. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Ed Bouchette is a horrible person to gauge personality, he's so moody and sarcastic....he reminds me of Eeyore from Winnie the pooh lol

Wallace doesn't play soft, he's a burner its just what he is. If you want Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson type play from him....it's unfair to Wallace because he just isn't as physically gifted (except speed of course) as those guys. He's built for speed not being shifty or going up and beating people for jump balls. Seriously, go look at Wallace highlights on YouTube or wherever you can to get film on him. He doesn't have great "hips" meaning he's a straight speed runner and you can tell watching him play that he's not exactly freakishly athletic like those other receivers, he even runs funny with his arms flailing away from his body instead on in tight and controlled. Watch his tape and then some from those before mentioned receivers...or Antonio brown for example if you want to see the difference.

Wallace is a runner that plays receiver...and he's the best and most successful one I've ever seen. It is just a fact that he will struggle with double teams....but that does open things up underneath for the other guys, so its obvious to see how he helps the team either way and that's why you absolutely want him on your team. It is a fact that he disappeared a little in the second half, but it's also a fact that double teams and Ben's injury had something to do with it.....it wasn't him being a DIVA as Bouchette is seemingly suggesting.

I love this young receiving corps all three of them ( Wallace,brown, sanders) as people and players. I really hope we get to watch them play together for at least 5 more years. They remind me of the fun bunch.....but in showing how times have changed......its the young money crew now lol

8. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Okay, I like Mike Wallace and want him to stay. I also know that his production dropped off because he was double teamed. I dont consider him soft but I would like to see him block with more effort. However, I dont think its that far of a stretch to call him a Diva....IMO.

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i remember wallace fighting in kansas and seems little hot head

10. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Very well said. If we had a karma system I'd give you a +1 lol.

That's a great point about Wallace's blocking and physicality at going up for the ball. He's just not built for it. If he was bigger, he probably wouldn't be as fast. Hines is a devastating blocker and while the willingness to block is a big part... I met Hines at training camp a few years ago and was really surprised at how thickly built he is... He looks much stronger in person that he does on tv.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know if Wallace had attitude problems or not. What I do know is well listening to an interview that he did on Sirius NFL radio he was talking about hopefully getting a deal done, and one of the things he said was "I stayed out of trouble..." when listing reasons why he felt he deserved a big contract.

That to me is a ridiculous thing to say. You're supposed to stay out of trouble, the fact that he did isn't exactly a positive.

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The reaction to Wallace on this board is perplexing.

There are many who are happy to take a late 1st rounder for him. Well, if the Steelers get a Troy Polumalu or a Ben Roethlisberger with that pick fine, but suppose it's Jamien Stephens. Anyone ever hear of a bird in the hand? Suppose you drafted a WR exactly like Mike Wallace? Would that be ok? Well why take the risk.

There are many who think he's soft, underrated, undisciplined. Ok maybe he is. At 25, Mike Wallace has two seasons with 1100 yd receving or more. Since the start of the 16 game season in 1978, do you know how many WR have done that at 25? 18. About once every two season. He may be frustrating, he may annoy you, but his production is there.

There are many who don't want to 'overpay' the guy. Well, look at the market. Stevie Johnson's getting nearly $8/yr over 5yrs. If you don't want to pay Wallace, you'll end up paying somebody else, who probably won't be as good.

There are a few who dream that it's 1995 again and the Steelers will be a run-first team using Redman or someone as the new Bus. The game may change back to that, but I won't hold my breath. And if I'm Bal, NE or Cincy and the Steelers want to shed guys like Wallace, take the ball out of Ben's hands and run more.... I'll help them scout players to help them make it happen.

13. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wallace is a diva only on this message board.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would take a first round only if i'm sure that he will not resign next season ,depends what plan has our f.o

15. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I will never again believe one word DUCHETTE says. Go look up the real FULL interview he did on Anthony Smith's interview on the Pats guarentee and you will see why

16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Never mind I got it for you. Right at 14 seconds. This was part of the unedited version. What Duchette said was you going to win. You do not see smith saying what he did here at the 14 second mark.
    Duchette in the edited version says you going to win?
    A S yes
    DB that a guarentee?
    A S yes BTW if he had said nah they're going to kick out ass. We would have all been calling for Smith to be on the first thing smoking out of town
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-YK5DHhvY

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, he's supposed to stay out of trouble. I don't see it as such a bad thing that he mentioned it. It's true. Just because he's supposed to, and did, doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who don't. NFL players get into trouble way, way too often. Young, famous millionaires. Take 100 NFL players and 100 tax attorneys and see who gets into more trouble.

He was pointing out that he has a clean record, and so he's not any kind of weird risk like so many other guys (Santonio Holmes, Desean Jackson, Ben Roethlisberger, etc.). It's just one factor that we don't have reason to worry about with him. If I was going to ask a girl to marry me, and she wanted a list of reasons why, I guess it might sound silly of me to say I don't cheat on her. But the implication isn't that I'm some kind of saint for not cheating, the implication is only that the temptation is there. Same situation here. Not a big deal.

18. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess my biggest concern is that the Steelers keep Wallace for one more year under the tender offer and then he's unrestriced. Without the #1 pick price he'll be gone anyway.

19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    He's a top WR in the NFL and this board has a hard time w/ the word diva?