1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Timmons is the invisible man?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DDinAZsteel1, Dec 9, 2011.

1. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For a guy who I thought was going to be a stud, you don't really see Lawrence Timmons making too many eye opening plays. Or plays in geenral really. Or am I missing them? Don't rewatch the games more than once typically so maybe I just don't give him the credit he deserves. But from what I ahve seen, I am unimpressed. Again, I could be wrong and am kind of hoping for one or more of you to tell me I am. If not, bad 1st rd pick.

2. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Timmons? What is this Timmons you speak of? :confused:

3. theotherbigben

theotherbigben Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    I started a post just like this about 2 weeks ago. I even asked people to convince me I was wrong. No one did. A few attempted. I don't study film or anything, but I'm seeing nothing from this guy. Nothing special anyway. And he's gotten 2 big paydays! I did see Larry Foote make a big tackle yesterday.

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    timmons takes up blockers that in turn allows others to make the big plays

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In my opinion they use timmons in coverage more because of farrior being weak in that department. I watch alot of the linebacker play and timmons is a stud. the inside backers are not as flashy as the outside. timmons is solid. he allows alot of the other players to make the flash plays. for what he is asked to do he is fine

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Got the dough, now he is a no show?

7. theotherbigben

Nov 16, 2011
    Timmons takes up blockers? I thought that was the d lines job. And if Timmons is in coverage, how about seeing him defend a pass once in a while. Or better yet, an interception!

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have to agree that since he got this fat contract he's been super quiet all season. Last year he was a beast. What happened?

Maybe it's a coincidence he has dropped off but I'm not so sure. I check the box score every week after the game to just see how close the game was by the numbers. His tackle ttals are never very high this year. Ike usually has more. I'm starting to be of the mind to find someone else for him soon when they can and use that money somewhere else if his pockets are slow him down. Unless he turns on soon.

He was brought in to replace Harrison after a season or two before they knew how much of a monster James was actually going to turn out to be. I never heard anyone remark about how good Silverback was until he was starting. He just seemed like a fine back up to Porter. Never knew he'd be better. When he filled the OLB position for a few games this year he did little more than phone in the effort. I don't think he even registered a sack during that tenure.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I wonder if his play will step up when Farrior moves aside.

And when I say wonder, I mean "hope in despite of current performance".

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I always compare our current MLB's to guys like Levon Kirkland as the standard, Kirkland was always laying the wood on some body or covering guys down field like a glove.

Surprisingly Timmons' stats are very similar to Kirkland's. I think it was too soon to give TImmons the payday though, he doesn't mean to the Steelers what Willis does to the 9ers or Beason to the Panthers, but the fact that Farrior is soon out forced the FO's hand.

This year its tough to say he is having a bad year because there is something really wrong with the Dline the way we are getting run on, really don't understand it, that will cause TImmons tackle numbers to drop and a guy like Ike or Clarks to raise. I thought he would been more of a sack master when he filled in for Harrison though?

11. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That 28 yard draw they gotvon 3rd down and 20 was foote's mess-up.

12. theotherbigben

Nov 16, 2011
    Foote also made the tackle on 3rd & goal didn't he? Even if he didn't and Timmons was on the field on the 3rd & 20, isn't that still kinda a -1 to use a hockey term? I'm just tired of making excuses for this guy.

13. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    His role could change once Farrior is gone. Timmons has Footes old job to take on the blockers and let Farrior play hero.

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Foote was completely unblocked, Timmons took on a blocker, like a lot of other guys on that play. Foote got the credit for the tackle, but Harrison killed the play with penetration and opened the lane for Foote, and McLendon burst through and Had Hillis around the knees so he couldn't fight Foote.

That long draw run was a disgraceful play call on 3rd and 20. All the DBs playing on the line of scrimmage? None of them even knew it was a running play until the guy had the first. No linebacker in the middle of the field at all? The only ones who were (whoever they were doesn't matter) were blitzing. It was inexcusable by LeBeau.

15. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well if he is doing his job well in coverage he wouldn't need to defend passes or make interceptions... o wait, he doesn't have many tipped passes or interceptions, so he is either good at coverage or getting burnt all the time, but we are #1 in pass defense so.... yeah.

16. theotherbigben

Nov 16, 2011
    Sorry Scrap but I also saw him get beat by a tight end for a long play early in the game. I'm not saying he sucks. He's just not living up to expectations.

17. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    it'd be cool if he was invisible

he might not be trying to take too many risk and play at a level to maintain,especially with other starters not playing due to injuries and such.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    actually the last two weeks have been his best games of the season. last game he had several tackles. before that though he's been invisable. i had a thread going about him too. then two better games. if they have him playing more pass coverage, they need to stop it because he's not very good at it. i'd sure like that kid from boston college in the draft. nice pass coverage skills as an inside backer. :cool:

19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    With Timmons disappearance and Gay's emergence as a much improved CB I asked who was more valuable to this defense since many has noticed and discussed our CB play has hurt us in trying to get another Ring, brady and Rodgers seem to pick us apart.

Well, I got blasted and no-one,except maybe freetibet, offered a viable rebuttal to timmons being more important to this defense than Gay this year,2011. Forget potential,could be or will be, or past blunders, who's getting their job done and who's harder to be replaced in the middle of a championship game.

Let me stop, Wardismvp said it best!!

Cajun-

20. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You said the same thing about Ziggy. So which of our players are actually allowed to make plays and not just "take up blockers"?

21. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    The other 9?

Or maybe just Willie Gay.

22. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I think it probably has a lot to do with him moving to outside backer for a lot of the year because of the injuries to Woodley/Harrison. He has to learn a completely new position (which inside to outside backer is) and is probably not as comfortable with the position and as such isn't showing up as much as he did last year. He still has the talent, still knows how to play, but isn't making the flashy plays like last year. He's played better than Foote and Farrior, that much is clear, though.

23. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    In the Browns game Harrison was rushing from the edge and getting nowhere. Then in the 4th they started moving him the other edge/the middle.

They need to move Timmons around and change things up for him in the same way? He should be more of a pass rushing force to go along with his pass coverage and run defense.

24. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, I thought the plan was always to use Timmons in a Troy-type role, where he roamed about. I've not noticed that a lot this year.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Do you people think he can be a game changer? Thats what he was signed to be,
    game changer, difference maker, playmaker. He is not /has not made many
    game changing plays. This is why he got the big money?