1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Timmons as bad as he looks or just misused?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Dec 24, 2011.

1. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I've seen this guy lost on the field many times and whiffing on tackles.
    He's certainly not very good at covering the pass so should they just bull rush him?

2. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I was very happy when we drafted him.Was a beast at Fla St. Thought he played well today.His natural position is OLB has ben since high school.We are using him inside.Id like to see when 56 gets back move 92 inside let 94 play outside.Think we will get alot more out of him there.Sit 51 move 93 inside.Im most likely wrong but tell me why.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You are wrong, and I think I already did, in another thread. Also, Timmons played OLB for like 4 games or something this year. How'd he do? His role is inside, where it should be.

I need to rewatch the game, but I thought he played well today. I did see a missed tackle or two.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I think Timmons is fine...people are making too big a deal of this. Playing at OLB some and moving around soo much has hurt him...as far as stats and thats allllllll that people seem to care about.

Now for those bring who bring up his play at FSU...didnt they play a 4-3 D?

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

From one of your own posts 12/23/11 at about 13:30 so a day and a half past.Your opinion has changed this much in a day and a half?......LOL.......

"Timmons - is the most versitile player on our team after Polamalu and has been moved all over the place this season with Harrison and Woodley and Worilds missing so much time. People whining about the fact that he doesn't produce a pass rush as the number four OLB kill me. He still held up against the run and was not successfully targeted by offenses. He spent most of his time in coverage on passes. He had a Pro Bowl season in his 4th year, and his 5th year has been less consistent, but still good. He's been all over the place (literally) and the rest of the defense hasn't been itself either. It's a domino effect"......Well???

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    A quick tidbit i found from the BTSC website...

"Lawrence Timmons was everywhere, taking down Rams a total of ten times, seven unassisted. He also had his first sack of the season. That's four straight games with at least eight tackles for the standout inside linebacker. "

7. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is being used wrong, His position should stay ILB but they should
    let him rush the QB often. 2 years ago at training camp he could not
    be blocked, he is a great pass rusher although not big enough outside to take on
    350LB tackle. If used properly he could be a force? He has freak like talent, just getting
    it out of him seems to be the problem. Like Cowher use to say to LLoyd get the QB!

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    :good: :good: :good:

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yeah I think he is being misused.....we will see if anything changes

11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If Timmons isn't literally flying on the field, running through Olinemen, or making spectacular plays every down people are going to consider him a bust. I think some fan's expectations of players gets a little unrealistic. Seems that some didn't notice when he had good coverage, applied pressure to the QB, or made tackles. He was also unselfish because he was willing to be moved around when injuries struck the outside LB's. I believe that was a difficult adjustment to make.

12. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've been hearing his name a lot in the past few games, he's beginning to wake up.

13. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He had an excellent game yesterday and it is almost comical to read some of the comments about him and fans have no idea of his responsibility on a given play.

14. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

I'd probably have a different opinion and probably wouldn't have posted this thread had I watched the game. I only listened to it on the radio but Tunch and Wolfe said he missed a tackle and got screamed at by Tomlin, taken out of the game for a play and went right back in and was out of position to make another play.

15. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    On on play he went the wrong way and allowed Jackson to get around the right end to convert a 3rd and 12.

16. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    He's a decent player, definitely good but he lacks that "it" factor that you need to jump from being just good to become great. He makes the tackles, but hey, any LB can do that.

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think the big reason his play is down is the switching back and forth. He is a huge reason we beat the pats and if we see them again in the playoffs i want him to play olb. He matched up really well against gronk man to man amd playing olb let him get a bump on him at the line. I also think he is being misused at ilb. He needs to be flying to the qb and blowing up guards and rbs in the hole. He is extremely athletic and should be going after the qb. The biggest problem with that is that would leave farrior in coverage and i dont care who the qb and te are they would have a huge day if we sent timmons more and had farrior covering the te. Gronk would eat his lunch.

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I feel like I'm looking at a Chinese menu or a Magic Eye puzzle. I do not understand what you're saying. My opinion didn't change. I defended him then and I defend him now. He belongs inside. My point was that he's our fourth outside linebacker, and still was able to hold his ground and prevent defenses from picking on him (he was not a weak link). However, he didn't get much pass rush from there because he can't bull rush a 350 lb OT. He rushes the passer well against TEs and RBs. He played well there for a backup, and I'm glad we have someone as versitile as him to do stuff like that when we need it.

But he won't ever excel outside. He can only excel inside, where he can run sideline to sideline, use his speed and athleticism, blitz from anywhere and spend lots of time in coverage. So those wanting to switch him out there with our All-Pro OLBs are basically out of their collective gords on multiple levels.

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You might be right about him going the wrong way, I don't know. I still haven't re-watched.

But both of those 3rd and 12+ draws were give-up plays, and both times Keenan Lewis absolutely blew it by getting inexcusably sucked inside. That was pathetic.

20. white_steel_wolfe

white_steel_wolfe Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not sure its his fault...our corners get blown up often and we have yet to have a decently healthy team playing >.>

Haven't payed much attention to his play either way :herewego:

21. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Good not agree more. :yeehaw: :towel: :amen:

22. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Because Arians can't get them in the endzone, it puts too much pressure on the defense. If we had a top 5 coordinator, Timmons would consistently be a Pro Bowl ILB.

23. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    just for the slim chance you are not trolling: the same defense that can't stop a nosebleed on 3rd and [whatever] unless it's 3rd&goal against terrible teams?

24. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think Timmons is fine.I really don't think anyone on our defense is having a outstanding year.

25. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Timmons is an okay ILB. He's had one season where he played up to the level we expected from him when he was drafted--- in the 1st round... A top 15 draft choice. People say he's better suited outside yet when he's out there he stinks. People say he's a great cover LB yet he can't cover crap. Watch the SF game and tell me he's a good coverage ILB.

People just like defending him to the point they are blaming the O.C. for his play.

Due to timmons poor development as a dominating ILB we're probably gonna have to go ILB in rd 1 this year and this hurts since we need to also go OT & OG in the 1st couple rds.

Cajun-