1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a real thing? (Polamalu Facebook controversy)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HugeSnack, Jan 20, 2012.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12010/1202448-28-0.stm

Just came across this. It's the first I've heard of it. I'm wondering if other people, maybe closer to Pittsburgh, had heard about this or knew people that actually cared or were affected.

The controversy consists of Troy recommending a movie on his Facebook, which he apparently does a lot of. The movie is a documentary about gas drilling. The article suggests there was a huge outrage among fans? One guy says he's "left wing trash" and he's disappointed to see coming with a Steelers seal of approval. Like they aren't supposed to let democrats on the team or something? Had anyone even heard of this?

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I heard something about it a couple of weeks back but really didn't think much of it. The movie is put out by an ultra-liberal production company and it talks about the "evils of gas drilling and fracking". I'm as conservative as they come and really don't care whether or not Troy is a flaming liberal as long as he helps the Steelers win football games.

3. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I just heard about it yesterday and think it's a non-issue.

EDIT: Not that drilling is a non-issue, just that Polamalu recommending the movie is.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yes, i've heard of it and it's going on all around PA.,WV,OH. it has been known to mess up the water. vs. lots of dollars in peoples pockets. :cool:

5. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There are democrats on our team?? :shocked:

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    This just in: NFL players are people too. They have opinions on things outside of football. And they might differ from yours...

Move along. Nothing to see here.

7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    man of all our guys I thought TP would be a republican

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Why? He's from Oregon, (with the exception of a few counties, one of the most liberal states in the country), and went to USC.........in LA. Doesn't get much more liberal unless he'd gone to school at Berkley!

9. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    :amen:

10. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe its because I'm young, but I have never seen the point of
    1. Caring what Athletes or movie stars or any our famous people think about issues.
    2. Labeling people liberal or conservative based on one stance they take. Logically if you always pick one side because its the side some of your opinions "fall under" then you are biased and most likely uninformed. You probably shouldn't lump people into these radical groups without facts. That is what real America is about.

EDIT: to clarify I mean it isn't logical to assume based on one instance that someone will always be conservative or always be liberal. We talk about balanced offense working the best in football, well a balance between the 2 works best in life. Just my opinion

11. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    troy a republican?

ha. like someone mentioned, he grew up in oregon. i'm in portland til the end of march and this place buh-lows. a liberal nightmare. the young guys all dress like little elves with stocking caps and puffy vests and the older guys all look like the unabomber. and the women . . . well, they all look like the unabomber too. there is no social life here, very little business . . . it sucks.

and, if you're not familiar with troy polamalu, the guy is a little nutty. very holistic, EXTREMELY spiritual, and was quoted in a GQ article a few years back as having seen "monsters." he says that "demons walk among us."

so, uh . . . yeah.

12. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    not many liberals are religious like him right???????

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    All politics aside, I always thought he was one of the most thoughtful athletes I've ever seen.

14. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't know why this would make anyone mad, and for those that are all I can do is ask if you have good drinking water? I live near where fracking is taking place and they keep telling everyone it is safe and at the same time a friend of mine gets his water from a big truck because the ground water is now polluted with gas, the same gas that is protected by multiple layers of concrete and earth. I was all for "drill baby drill" but I now see why people in the affected areas aren't open to it, I thought this fracking thing was going to be great but now even places I fish are becoming polluted with gas and the crap they shoot down the hole, some kind of messed up chemicals. So if someone want to call me left wing trash or liberal then they need toswap homes so they can let their children drink the water and smile because it is safe. Sorry for the rant but I get sick of labels and politics.

15. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    labels and poliics, you are right on and most have no clue what the "labels" mean or are supposed to mean.

Give it a break.

16. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

........and By far the most taxed state of the 57 that Obummer believes there are.

17. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm pretty sure Obama thinks there are 58 states.

18. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011

Maybe. Since he is now negotiating with the taliban *Terrorist* maybe he decided 57 weren't enough.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sure if that's true. If you live there and know 1st hand, I'll believe you. I don't live there but I have property in Josephine county. There's no sales tax and rural property is determined by "woodlot resources" so, I only pay property tax on 1 out of 7 acres. is it state income tax? Does it vary by county? I don't really know but, living in CA, it's hard to imagine a state taxed more than we are.

20. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    BIG difference between being spiritual and being religious.

21. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    i totally agree. he comes from a good place.

i'm a hardcore republican but i have some liberal views. i'm probably closer to being libertarian with very conservative views towads the economy and some relaxed, liberal views socially. basically, i'd feel comfortable letting pittsburgh native dennis miller represent my viewpoints. i pretty much align with him on most topics.

i agree that just because somebody feels a certain way about one subject, it doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the political subjects are in line with the political party that dominates that belief.

22. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sure he made that comment right after coming off the field with the Ratbirds so I'm not surprised :hehehe:

23. theotherbigben

theotherbigben Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Sure am glad to see some political discussions on my football teams message board! I hate people who hate people for their political views. Can we stick to football here? If not, I'm gonna head to CNN.com to see whats up with the steelers.

24. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011
    NO. Stay away from the Communist News Network!

25. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Can we delete this thread? I can be fairly opinionated when it comes to politics, but I don't care what political beliefs my Steelers players have, and I certainly don't want to come to the Steelers message board to discuss politics.

We're a diverse group of people that are unified by our love of the Steelers!