1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a worst group of OLBs in the league

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Oct 18, 2016.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Jones, Harrison, Chickillo and Moats has to be the worst group of OLBs in the league right now. I can actually say that it's the worst the Steelers had fielded in all the years that I've been a steelers fan. I'm no statistician, but if someone want to look up our group of just OLBs over the last 10 years and see if there was a worst group.

Porter, Haggans
    Porter, Woodley
    Harrison, Woodley
    Lloyd, Greene
    Worilds, Harrison

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Cleveland's but that one is a gimme... Indianapolis the same..

One might be able place Oakland's on the list given Khalil Mack's disappointing stat line thus far at only 2 sacks with two weeks left until the midway point. If accounting for talent then the silver and black is exempt.

My issue is not the linebackers but how Keith Butler really believes this team has two good enough bookend linebackers to constantly send four in spite of the results.....

.... that and the lack of execution or fundementals of the defense has a whole.

3. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011

I wonder what Cleveland, Indianapolis and Oakland stats are on OLBs? Sacks, pressures, hits on the quarterback compared to our 4. Our 4 OLBs have 2 sacks. You can check that data but I believe it's Moats and Chick. And Moats wasn't even rushing on his sack.

That's why I recommend putting in another linemen and taking one of the OLBs off the field. I know it will hamper some quickness in the flats but they are not getting to the quarterback anyway. Tuitt, Hargraves, McCullers and Harrison would be my front four. Rotate Harrsion with the rest of the OLB group.

4. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I'd be hard pressed to name a weaker group of edge rushers

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Okay. Here you go (courtesy of sporting charts) :

Pittsburgh's:

Sacks: 8

Hits: ?

Pressures: 17

Indianapolis:

Pressures: 12

Oakland's:

Pressures: 18

Cleveland's:

Sacks: 9

Pressures: 18

Got you two of three. Could not get you the hits due to the fact that I do not have PFF Premium.

6. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011

I wonder if that is team totals or just OLBs?

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Team totals that I could find based on players. Best bet for more accuracy would be PFF Premium as sporting charts only showcased 200 players who have recorded pressures.

To get the results you see above, simple addition. For the OLB's statement.. the only comparable ones then are Oakland and Indy given that Cleveland runs a base 4-3 using the Nickel defense.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Well, it's no wonder, the DC never does anything to help the edge rusher LB's get to the QB.

I think if the DC would scheme some looks it would help to beat the Patsys this week.

If I was a DC, I would show Brady a Double A-Gap Blitz all day, that would collapse all the blocking toward the center of the line, and open up room for the edge guys to get to Brady.

Brady doesn't like to get hit at all because his long lean frame can't take it. A Double A-Gap look is gonna mess with his head, and he will point it our to the line everytime.

If the Steeler defense shows a Double A-Gap Blitz and brings the corners up on press coverage, then use one safety to cover any WR that shakes loose, and use the other safety to watch Gronkowski, Brady will look for Gronkowski, or audible to a run. I'd use Gilbert as the safety to cover Gronk because Gilbert is a big body.

Brady's only option would then be LeGarrett Blount RB.

I think thats what the Pats have planned for Landry Jones, he gets rattled by pressure and hits too.
    The Pats will probably show Double A-Gap Blitz, put their corners in press, bring one safety in press on Jesse James, and use the other safety to double AB. That means Landry is going to have to beat the Pats by hitting the Steelers other WR in single coverage. Brady can do that, Jones can't.

The Pats will probably have more success because their edge rusher LB's can beat the Steeler OT's easier than the Steelers can beat the Pats OT's.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    To be fair they were expecting Dupree to be their #1 OLB, the rest of the group is weak.

10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Kinda says it all.

Vince Williams 2 sacks
    Jarvis Jones - 0 sacks.
    Arthur Moats - 1 1/2 sacks
    James Harrison - 0 sacks
    Ryan Shazier 0 sacks
    Anthony Chickillo 1 sack

5 of the team's 8 sacks are from Williams and Heyward. With those two out it's tough.

11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    J.J. is a big part of the problem. The numbers don't lie.

Joey Porter - 30.5 sacks in his first 4 seasons.
    Greg Lloyd - 20 sacks in his first 4 seasons.
    Mike Merriweather - 19.5 sacks in his first 4 seasons.
    Jason Gilden - 17 sacks in his first 4 seasons.
    *Jarvis Jones - 5 sacks so far in his 4 seasons.
    James Harrison - 4 sacks in his first 4 seasons.

Harrison was an undrafted free agent and a late bloomer. Jarvis was a 1st round pick and should at least be in the ball park with the 4 names above him and he isn't even close.

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Joey Porter never played with Woodley. Just sayin'.

• Agree Agree x 2