1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Steeler (#Steelers, #Steelers') Way Dead?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, Jan 17, 2022.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I would believe everyone would agree Art Rooney II is not on the same level as Dan Rooney. At the same time Art II has not had the opportunity to hire a head coach, GM, or franchise QB. But what I see as a fan, the Steelers culture has changed for the worse n the past five years, and some would say since the Super Bowl XLV loss.

Yes, they have made some good player personnel decisions and draft selections. I think it was wise to give TJ Watt his money, as he has proven to be a top 5-10 NFL player, a difference maker. But Rooney II has been hesitant to hold Tomlin accountable, and to a lesser extent, Colbert. Rooney II should not have given Tomlin the three year contract extension before this season, after the freefall from the 11-0 start last year. Tomlin should have been on a prove it deal. Given what happened this season, Tomlin deserves an extension, but not three years, probably two. If Tomlin balked at two, then maybe Rooney II should have said let's put the ball in your court at the end of the season. Or Is Rooney II tying Tomlin's hands by forcing him to hire an OC on the cheap in hiring Canada?

Rooney II needs to already be pinpointing potential GM candidates, including a possible outside hire, and telling Colbert, if he finds one, Colbert will be moved to an advisory role. Either way Rooney II needs to show some firm leadership. Canada needs to go. A possible outside DC needs to be hired. Tomlin needs to figure out how to toughen up his team. If Tomlin gains more power through this transition, the Steelers will be none the better. I am not saying blow up the organization, but it is time for Art Rooney II to prove he has the bloodlines of his father. Maybe I am wrong, and all they need is their next franchise QB.