1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Teryl Austin the Next DC??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought that is what happened when they let Porter go and demoted Butler to LB coach.

Isn't that when Tomlin took over as DC, and started calling the defense?

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Wondering who would want to come here and be DC under Tomlin.

Look at the 2 McDaniel/s boys who just received Head coaching jobs; They were not exactly running the teams they were coaching on.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Steelers to offer the job to austin.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Even great teachers need great students. Lots of people know who the legendary Bruce Lee is but not many know of his teacher; Ip Man, Grand Master of Wing Chun. Extreme differing example... but the basics and principles are the same.

Give the man some talent and let him work. Minkah was a fantastic place to start with. Add some more and watch the results continue to develop; all the more reason I really would like Ahkello Witherspoon signed long term.

5. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Probably would’ve been just as good of a hire.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I looked back at the track record and I'm not impressed.

1 good showing with the lions and that's kinda it.

He helped have a top pass d a few years back in the burgh but this is a hire/promotion that where I'm taking a sure year one but what about year 3 approach. Seems like constant performance may be an issue.

Hoping for the best!

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Edmunds had his best season in 2021, Sutton also improved under Austin.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm willing to give the guy a chance, if you guys want to keep crying about it then go ahead.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Butler stated Tomlin was calling the defense LeBeau's last two years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Would have been nice if that had translated to the D on the field just a little bit. It's one thing to be liked by the players and another to translate that relationship to the field. This appears a hiring that will allow Tomlin to continue to call the D anytime he wants to and will lead to the same results over time. It's a "safe" hire and one that probably cost the team much less than bringing in another D coordinator

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    We have no choice but to "give the guy a chance" I suppose expressing an opinion here that is not yours can be construed as "crying" I'm just not impressed with the way the Steelers fill these coaching vacancies. Anyway we'll see how he does

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Teryl Austin brings an 'ok' pedigree that includes a couple of Super Bowls.
    His real failures were with the Detroit Lions who were dismal to begin with.

Personally, I think I'd rather them bring in a DC from the outside to inject some new ideas.

I really don't get the banging in Tomlin, he is a Defensive minded Coach, it was what he did.
    But when camps open up, this will be something I focus on.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    nice side step and deflection. I don't think I said anything negative or positive about Austin one way or another, I have only criticized your attempts to inaccurately prove he is a good position coach with things that don't prove it at all and ask for some evidence of your claims. Predictably you started linking other people's thoughts and statements in an attempt to confuse the issue which is that your list of players who played well with Austin here in no way proves or disprove his ability to be a solid DC for the Steelers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin isn't willing to give the defensive coordinator a chance.

"Let's see how Tomlin does running the defense. It's a big change from Tomlin running the defense. Let's see how it goes."

I don't understand your viewpoint.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not seeing this as a bad thing. Really, was the defense bad when healthy these past few years? No it wasn’t. I think that what we’ve seen is 1) key injuries both seasons, and 2) no legitimate “Buck” linebacker who could engage with a blocker and play downhill run defense in 2021. The combination led to a very inconsistent run defense. Absolutely horrid much of the time, but surprisingly respectable at others. Yes, there were some fundamental breakdowns, especially tackling, that were very frustrating at times, but it wasn’t a terrible defense (especially when healthy). We need to consider that it’s a defense that was put in harms way weekly by an offense that probably came close to setting an NFL record for 3-and-outs.

I’m not saying that the defense was perfect, but over the 2019 - 2021 span when Austin has been here it was pretty good most of the time, with some dominant showings in 2019 and 2020 with fewer injuries.

Yeah, it would be nice to get some new blood and new ideas into the building, but I’d much rather see that on offense and just do some personnel updates to improve the defense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Man, he did get blitzed during that stretch. To clarify: "Austin was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator after the Bengals defense became the first in NFL history to give up 500+ yards in 3 straight games, against the Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and New Orleans Saints, respectively."
    Marvin Lewis left after this season as well.. There wasn't much good about that team.

19. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah. Injuries and bad personnel contributed. Marvin Lewis as DC gave up 493 yards to the Browns in week 16 (only 26 points though). But Marvin Lewis also was the DC for the 2000 Ravens which is arguably the best defense in the Super Bowl era. Even Warren Sapp said that defense was better than the 2002 Bucs. It just shows how much personnel matters.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Keep saying that nabbing a BUCK 'Backer will assist far more than others know. A BUCK prospect like Tremaine Edmunds is not available in this class; said player in it of himself is rare anyhow for he is classified as a unicorn. Darrian Beavers, Damone Clark and Christian Harris. Those three are more or less of what this draft has in terms of immediate plug n play players. Brandon Smith would be considered here but to me, he is more WILL like than a BUCK. Another would be Quay Walker but he is not as refined nor gifted as the first three options.

As asinine as this is going to sound, I would rather off have the team address this in Round 2 rather than wait. This CB class is stacked and will definitely see considerable value later on; WRs the same. Linebackers, namely Bucks??.... not so much.

22. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I was in Washington when they hired Marvin Lewis. Talk about a debacle, Steve Spurrier was the head coach. Lewis was probably, in my opinion, the only guy on the entire staff that knew anything about football. I was shocked the Bengals hired him.

It is hard to read a Coordinators job, unless you know the play breakdown, the game plan (which is to attack the weakness and take away the strengths) and can access the execution.

Sometimes you can just watch the pre-snap alignments and see the confusion by the DB's... that's never a good sign.
    It doesn't matter if they are in Quarters, cover 2/3, single, mixed, zone, smoke, etc...

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So you’re saying we need to stop passing the Buck? Ok… I’ll show myself out.

Seriously though, it makes the Buddy Johnson selection a little bit puzzling given that pretty much all of our current LBs are “Mack sized.” I say “Mack sized” because I see Spillane’s style of play as better suiting a Buck role if he had better size and strength. Ditto for Johnson. I think both guys are better run defenders than coverage guys, but you’ve got to be able to keep them clean like a Mack.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Spillane's mentality is ideally suited for the role. Everything else though... just is not. Buddy Johnson is an interesting case for certain. Has he bulked up enough? The site lists him at 229 though I doubt he is listed that now.