1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Teryl Austin the Next DC??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 22, 2022.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Butler officially retires……… Insider thinks it’s Austin Time

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I hope not. Hiring from within hasn't been very successful for this organization.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    just lock Teryl in

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    More than likely. I fail to see why he would not be. That said, it would be good for change for some change in terms of how the Steelers search for coaches. Not saying Teryl Austin should not have his chance again (what he has done for this secondary has been nothing short of incredible) but branching out never hurts either.

Regardless, pencil Austin in as the likely incumbent, if not shoe in, for DC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Are you sure about that? It seems to me the last two times we went to the sb it was after hiring an OC from within. Besides, Austin was an outside hire. Klemm was an outside hire. Canada was an outside hire. This narrative that we only hire from within is garbage IMO.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Leslie Frazier makes a lot of sense to Tomlin as an outside hire based on coverages he runs being similar to Tomlin. Only outside hire I could even see. This is Tomlin's defense and he has it in both hands, around the neck, choking the life out of it.

7. Cranny

Cranny Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    We need to hire coaches from outside the organization! If they hire Austin and Canada stays it’s gonna be more or the same old crap next year. Not looking forward to it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    (Bad word) LeBeau is still around. :shrug:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And 84 years old.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Austin is a good coach by all accounts and I’d have no real issue with him getting the job but this hiring from within policy is getting really tiresome, how can you evolve a team and work new ideas in when you only promote guys from within your existing system.

The worst example was Sarrett and then subsequently Klemm getting the OLine coordinator job after Munchak left. Both were seemingly out of their depth, Klemm to the point where they let him walk away in the middle of the season. That’s just bad process, and it hurt the team.

I don’t know if it’s money driving this policy or some deluded / arrogant belief that their own people are better than other candidates but it’s not helping the team in most cases.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Not really the same thing when you hire them years before promoting them. That's more indoctrinating into how the organization operates before giving them the higher position. Hiring someone off the street to the higher position with no previous connection gives a greater chance of new ideas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    It raises the ever popular question as to who is actually hiring the coaching staff. My guess has been that it's Tomlin who doesn't take that hiring process seriously enough and needs to be prodded from management but it still doesn't work.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    But why would Frazier leave Buffalo for another DC job when he’s getting HC interviews?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Exactly, they are in the system and more likely to continue with a lot of what everyone is comfortable with.

TBH I’ve no issue at all with Austin in this case (we all know he is getting the job) because he has the experience.

It’s the coaching clown car on offence that gets me, Sarrett, Klemm, Fictner Canada etc, very few other team would have given them the jobs they got with the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Austin has only been here 2 seasons, prior to that he had 2 stints as a DC so it wouldn’t exactly be a Butler type promotion from within.

His resume as a DC is mixed but his last stop as the Bengals DC saw his defense give up 3 straight 500 yard games, a record.

His first stop as the Lions DC saw him produce a very good unit but fell off the following year.

It’s going to be Austin which I won’t hate but would prefer a DC brought in with a better track record.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    He's not coming to Pittsburgh. I called Teryl Austin last weekend. I just saying "what if" and I do think people are going to see that Tomlin is on his last contract, and that the Steelers hire from within more than most teams.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Let’s promote the guy with the weakest, softest group on the defense.

18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    The DC is going to be largely an assistant to Tomlin regardless. They are not going to allow somebody to come in and shake everything up so they are never going to bring in a big name. May as well be Austin

It’s on offence is where they needed to up their game, I’m really not sure about keeping Canada, will see how it goes I guess.

19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I saw a quote by adidi kinkibala (??) earlier this year saying Butler was basically a figure head, hasn’t built a defensive unit nor calls defense on game days ……

I say this because I saw a quote from another beat writer today saying Austin will most likely become the next DC But we’ll never know how good he is because he’ll never call the plays in gameday!!!!

I actually find this a bit puzzling and concerning. During the chiefs game every time the camera panned over to butler he was just standing there, no playsheeet in hand.

Cajun

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think we will see big hires on either side of the ball but its what I think they should do.

I tend to think now that Tomlin hasn’t been as hands off as fans always thought, I think he is deeply involved in both offense and defense. I think Haley was probably the last coach that operated primarily on his own and if we are to believe the beat writers, Rooney was responsible for Haley coming here. He needs to do that again and explain to Tomlin this is how it is going to be. That probably doesn’t happen but it should.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why would Frazier leave Buffalo for Pittsburgh, unless they gave him a big pay raise.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And fans actually believe this BS :facepalm:, I paid attention during the Chiefs Tomlin didn't have a playsheet, but Butler did he always does so I don't know what you're talking about.

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not sure if you want to believe this but here it is in Butler's own words.

24. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I don’t recall Tomlin with a play sheet either, but I did take notice of Butler being empty handed…….

Cajun

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm sure Tomlin got involved on occasion, but I'm not buying it that he makes all the calls on game day, when they show him you rarely see him with a playsheet.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1