1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Tanking Illegal? Flores says he was offered a $100,000 Bonus for every game he lost.

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Brice, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I guess this is one way to put the Fix in; if the Head Coach is getting paid to make his team lose.

Miami Dolphins Owner Dangled $100,000 for Losing Games, Ex-Coach Brian Flores Says (msn.com)
    According to Flores, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, the billionaire real-estate developer, instructed him to “tank” as many games as he could during the 2019 season, dangling a $100,000 reward for each loss. Flores said he refused to do so, which created a clash with Ross and team management and ultimately led to his firing at the end of this season. Ross was “mad” that the five games the team won that season cost them a chance at the top overall draft pick, the lawsuit alleges.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Whether it is legal or not remains to be seen but it is a pretty scumy move. Jerry Jones just responded to all of Flores allegations by saying there are definitely improvements that can and should be made to the league's policy in regards to the Rooney Rule. I find that hilarious since he had decided on Mike McCarthy before he even thought about inviting Marvin Lewis in for an interview just so no one questioned whether or not he followed the rule.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    And now former head coach for Cleveland is saying he was also paid by his owner to lose games..... Who didn't see this one?

Browns refute tanking claims by former coach Hue Jackson (msn.com)
    CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cleveland Browns say suggestions by former coach Hue Jackson and an associate that he was paid by the team to lose games are “completely fabricated.”

Jackson, who is now coaching at Grambling, made several posts on Twitter inferring that he received bonus payments from Browns owner Jimmy Haslam during his two-plus seasons with the team.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Peter King and Mike Florio were saying this morning that Hue Jackson's claims are due to his being out of the pro game and being forced to take a job in college football. Not that they didn't have merit just that he has nothing to lose by spilling the beans about it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    As I said earlier in a different post. It's not illegal because it is covered by the " "Entertainment " clause.
    Just like Pro Wrestling . Though if it comes out 2 be true it's a black eye on the NFL.

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would question that because of gambling. I don't think you are allowed to fix something that the public is betting on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You can bet on Pro Wrestling, and that's what keeps them from getting in trouble. The so called " Entertainment " clause.
    Though like I said it will be a huge black eye for all involved with the NFL if this all comes out as true.

8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Even if either claim has merit, how the hell do these guys think they will prove it unless they recorded any of the conversations surreptitiously? I'm going to assume there were no witnesses. Would someone smart enough to be of the means to own or partially own an NFL franchise be foolish enough to make anyone other than himself and his head coach privy to such conversation(s)?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    The Steelers have played the Browns the last game of the season a few times. One year magically the first and second string QB became unavailable for the game during the week of practice. In my opinion the Browns had nothing to play for and wanted to lose sadly the third string gave us a good game. Tomlin was awarded a non-losing season and both teams didn’t make the playoffs. This story line makes sense to me and confirms the fact these other teams lose on purpose.

10. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    The nfl should have lottery balls for all the non-playoff teams. To help prevent tanking

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Well he must be rich then. Might go down in history as the best coach to ever do that? :)

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Tanking is not incentivized via financial means. Throwing away games with the intent to lose while gaining finances is. Granted, tanking itself is quite short sighted in it of itself anyway for a mega million lottery ticket that may or may not turn out well; Joe Burrow and Baker Mayfiled being the two most prime examples here.

What will be troubling for the likes of Haslam and Ross is the possibility of not only the United States Supreme Court stepping in but also the FBI as well. The current state of affairs that is taking place (one that I will not further expand on) is one aspect already being ridden like a pony by the media across the USA.

Possible collision however?!?!..... that is ANOTHER EXTREME all together. Should that be the case for the likes of Ross and Haslam... yikes for the NFL as a whole!! :eek:

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am wondering myself about this. Not so much the incentives themselves. Rather, was Hue forced to take these incentives?! That is a bigger question for me.

If so?! Add bribery to the list of crimes as well. If not that but still proven?! Collusion... which is still a crime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Neither Flores nor Jackson may have to do much for the United States Government to Step in as Congress is already investigating the NFL for years of controversy embroiled within the now Washington Commanders. Given how this current NFL Hiring Cycle has turned out in addition to the fact that there more evidence to call upon now in addition to years past, never mind just Congress... I would imagine even the FBI would open up an investigation as well. Sure, the NFL and its Owners could state that the Rooney Rule itself was followed and the conditions of such were met given the guidelines of said rule. However..... there is quite the contradiction here...

If the NFL practiced what they preached about aspects such as unity and change, such current events like the one that is being currently witnessed would not be even brought forth. Sadly, this simply is not the case. Yes, I do understand that no one is going to nor should tell someone how to spend their money and never mind on who they should invest in. By law, this is their right.

Again though, here is the highlight of all of this; why continue to promote such positive messages about real world issues while not only doing little to nothing about them but also ignoring them in the process?! Much of the Ownership in the league are in quite a pickle here.

15. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014

You're right on here, AQL. There could be a whole lot of gremlins under the tarp once the Feds start poking around. I'm not denigrating racism charges. However, for the owners Rooney Rule infractions could very well turn out to be the least of their troubles. Comparable to how the Watergate break in was about a whole hell of lot more than a botched burglary.

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Jackson claims he has proof, so my bet would be on an emails or text messages.

I don't remember how they got Sean Payton on Bountygate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    The same guy who’s heavily invested in the deregulated electric grid that melts down when it hits 32 degrees and makes people freeze to death maybe he should fix that first.

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s amazing how often people claim to have “proof” of totally unfounded accusations and then fail to reveal that “proof” when the time comes. Did you hear his interview on ESPN the other day? He talked in circles and made no sense at all. He sucked as a coach and now wants to blame everybody else for his ineptitude!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I guess you're right. A lottery system would prevent teams from tanking.

20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Like that idea.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This is not over yet. NFL beginning investigation of the Cleveland Browns (April 18th)

Spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed the league engaged former Securities and Exchange Commission chair Mary Jo White to look into Jackson's allegations.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-tanking-claims-made-former-coach-hue-jackson

I think the best thing that could come out of this is a lottery system to stop teams from doing this.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why???
    Which of these teams has it truly helped??? That's why I laugh when some fans suggest tanking.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Cleveland would not have Myles Garret if they had not tanked.

Same can be said for Baker, but only Cleveland would have drafted him with the number 1 pick.

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hear what You are saying, but what I'm saying is .....it's not really helped any of those teams IMO. Now if You said for instance......KC....tanked 2 get Mahomes.....I could see the point, but they didn't....because smart teams don't tank, and only the dumb ones would risk a whole season for an unknown draft pick, and it hasn't really helped any of them in the long run.
    Of course this is JMO

25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Will teams be tanking this year to get inline for Bryce Young or CJ Stroud?

0-17 will get you one of these franchise QBs, 4-13 may not.