1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Rooney looking for a "head coach" for the offense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 1, 2012.

1. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Saw that too but wonder if its really much of a promotion at all. With McCarthy still calling the plays, and likely having a big say in game planning, is a GB OC just another name for an Offensive Assistant? Oh well, the search continues for us.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

An OC may be an Offensive Assistant in GB, but I stand by my contention that and OC in the Burgh is most certainly the "head coach" of the offense.

3. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    by definition an OC cant be HEAD coach of the offense! :frustrated:

4. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

My point is that an OC in Pittsburgh will, at least in theory, have a lot more authority than an OC on a team where the Head Coach calls the plays. Tomlin has 0, Zero, Nada, experience as an offensive coach so he needs someone experienced and capable doing that job. I realize that our OC is not literally a head coach, but he can be characterized that way because our head coach is not an offensive minded coach.

5. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    you could characterized a RB as a WR or vise virsa still would make no since an OC CAN NOT be a HEAD coach! a HEAD coach is CALLED a HEAD COACH because you know he is the HEAD OF ALL COACHES!

6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

SteelMojo, I am using hyperbole to make a point here. I realize we only have one HEAD COACH, but I believe DL is "like" (does it work better for you if I insert the word "like" here?) a head coach for the defense. I'm just saying that we need that kind of leadership for the offense. I've heard it said and you probably have too, that James Farrior is the QB of the defense because he calls the defensive alignments. That doesn't mean that I want him to step behind the center and start throwing 25 passes a game. It simply means for comparitive purposes he is LIKE a QB on defense.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    excellent explanation.

8. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    no its not QB of the D is diff then HEAD coach of the offense! the term Head is in front of coach for reason like said by definition can only be ONE head coach :frustrated:

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Point made (by both sides), move along...

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We all get what you're saying Jack. Not sure why someone needs to be so hard headed. As far as our HC os concerned, I sure hope he finds the right guy to run the O and keeps his nose out of the day to day. But he must get involved if we continue to be inept in our ability to score.

11. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I see everyone's point of view here but to me it's all semantics. Some OC's have more control and authority than other OC's. For instance, like it or not Tomlin gave BA near total control of our offense while coaches like McCarthy and Payton for example run their own offensive show, including play calling. Clements "promotion" to OC may give him more input into GB's offense but it's not going to give him the full on OC exposure he would have received in coming here by calling his own plays.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    tomlin was a wr in college. also being a defensive "guy" , he better know offense too, because that's what you gameplan against. so it's not like he doesn't know offense. we do have an assistant head coach also in john mitchell, you would think he could help out MT in some capacity if needed, he's been around here a long time. he's also the D-line coach which should help our O-line since he works with the D-line to defend against certain types of blocking schemes. they go hand in hand. it's not like defensive coaches don't know offense. they see all the time what their defenses have to defend against. :cool:

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree. And based on what the general public has seen (or not seen) of Tomlin being involved in the O or even being capable of calling an O or managing a game on O, then I would say we need an OC who can truly have total control of the offense. Tomlin needs to give that control to the OC because he is incapable of doing it himself. However, if the new OC becomes stubborn and refuses to adjust, ala Bruce Arians, then someone needs to step in and exert some control. I would hope it would be Tomlin, but his track record with Arians and the owner having to step in doesn't help my confidence level in our HC.

14. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't think so. I think he's looking for someone to effectively coordinate the offense in a manner that allows them to score more TDs, and increase Red Zone percentage, to accompany all the yardage they gain. Also, I think he wants someone who can coordinate a better ground game.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the more i think about it, the more i wonder about mike tomlin. maybe it's not just a head coach for the offense, but maybe a future HC. i'm not sold on him yet as a great leader of this team. we have alot of talent on this team. we have or had a great defense. i mean a great defense since he's been here and before. he got handed a great team to start with, similar to what ben was handed. MT is as much an enabler to ben as BA was. i think if it was noll, last year when ben came back after suspension and we were 3-1 and very nearly 4-0, i'm not so sure ben would have been handed the keys to the car the next week. i think chuck would have sent his own message out to ben. GOD knows he would bench bradshaw to get his attention. just the little things like this make me question his overall ability to lead this team to the hieghts it should be at, and actually be the HC the rooneys expect for they're historic franchise. :cool:

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    A guy like Hue Jackson has the cred to lead the offense as kind of an "assistant head coach." I agree with concerns stated by someone above that Haley is too arrogant and immature in his approach to dealing with people. I could see a big-time clash there.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i was just reading on the bleacher report about the list of worst OC in the league. hue jackson is one of them. :cool:

18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    At the risk of getting SteelMojo started again, I would say the answer to this question was a resounding YES! :thumbsup: