1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is our defense really that bad?? I don't think so...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Daddymac10, Oct 17, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    no, I know. At least the trend is shooting upwards. Stopping a true elite offense is yet to be determined...

sorry stopping a true elite qb is yet to be determined lol. Ryan is not elite

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree... there's only 3: Brady, Rodgers and Brees.... 2 of those are upcoming on the schedule.

TBD: Mahomes and Goff

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    In terms of fewest punts, NO is #2 and NE is T-8. Getting multiple punts in a game from those teams would be a major defensive showing. (Especially since the league average right now is 2-3 punts/game.)

4. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The point is that by the standards we used to use to judge defenses there really aren't many good ones in the NFL. The standards need to change because the game has changed. As bad as our defense has been at times it is around an average NFL defense in the current NFL.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think 'the current NFL' is the only reason this D has struggled. Rule changes, ect haven't helped, but they have nothing to do with wide open receivers and blown coverage time and time again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I'm not 100% certain but I think we've given up more big/splash plays than any other D in the league this season. Look at the last game, how many 3rd and longs did they give up? How many big plays did they give up to allow them to stay in the game?

Wayyyy too many that's how many.

Every year for the past several years it's been the same old song and dance - "The D is slowly improving!" B.S. We're just putting new dressing on a wound that refuses to heal. Time for a new doctor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If the defense can find a way to both eliminate half or more of the penalties and stop opposing offenses on 3rd and 7 yards, or more, then they will be an above average defense. If the offense can stay high-powered and efficient - putting up 30+ points per game (ballpark), - then the Steelers will be force to be reckoned with.

8. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    It certainly started out that way, but according to this article, they have been way better over the last three games, giving up just 10 such plays vs 23 over the first three games, and only one such play vs the Bengals. Should that trend continue, it would be a good sign that some of the miscommunications issues that plagued the defense to start the season have been cleaned up.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  10. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I just wish they would stick to applying pressure. Every time they let up and play this soft ass zone I’m sure even Nathan Peterman could pick them apart.