1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Kenny the Guy?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Oct 20, 2023.

1. Steelers Franchise QB for the next 10 years

22.9%
  2. Backup QB on another team

50.0%
  3. Starting QB for another team

8.3%
  4. Out of the NFL in 4 Years

18.8%
  1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yup, it matters. He may work out or he won’t, but they are going give him his shot. Don’t wanna be like Arizona and Cleveland and pick a QB in the first 5 years in a row.

2. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    I still think it's very hard to judge him in this joke of a system with a HS level OC, and a poor o-line, no run game etc - but at the same time i've tried to assess him independently as it's obvious he's gone backwards this year. That's a bad sign, I had a confidence level of 7 after season, I'm down to 6 now, another bad showing tonight and down to 5. I'm deseperate for him to be the guy because if not we've just wasted 2 years, and we're back to square 1 with the best def player in the league only getting a little older. Ther worst thing is he looks to have lost confidence and is jittery.

As for the team, the minimum acceptable progression would be a playoff spot, anything less than that and the season was a fail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    OOOPS
    Did somebody drop this?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This thread is dated Oct 20... which is fine. I just noted to weigh in to the OP question.

The answer is no.
    The short-sighted fantasy viewpoint is, 'he hasn't gotten me 35 points and my team doesn't win.'
    The long game is what's at hand.

#1 - Matt Canada should have never been allowed to on-board the franchise QB. That should have been obvious when he couldn't find anything to work with Ben - even though Ben was not the QB he was. Matt is now gone, good riddance.

#2 - Mike Sullivan and Eddie Faulkner are doing the best with what they can after Matt was released 2 games back. They have to pull from Canada's library of plays. For example, they really only had 1 day of practice this week and that makes it pretty tough to introduce something different.

#3 - Kenny Pickett. I've never thought he was elite level but I am convinced he can run the show very well.
    - Year 1: We saw improved play as the season wore on. It started off shaky with those picks, picks which some seem to just cling on to for justification of invalid points. Truth is, he's not throwing picks.
    - Canada's offense was designed to throw quick safe sideline throws and occasionally go deep. Kenny has to do what the play is designed to do. It's a crap offense and Canada had no idea how to set up plays.
    - Kenny can run, no doubt. He's not a Jackson but mobile enough to give defenses headaches.

#4 There's a new OC on the horizon. Hopefully they don't go with an internal promotion 'cause they deserve it.' In today's NFL, you need to be creative and have new ideas. A good one will use the talent and get the most from it.

#5 DJ has become a cancer. He is not playing 100% and I am of the opinion that is rubbing off on Pickens as well. So 2 WR's not playing 100% are pretty tough to pass to. I think DJ needs to go and they need a 'lead by example' guy - I always point to Terry McLaurin since he is exactly that kind of guy, you're going to get 150% on every play. Currently, our WR's suck. They are not helping our QB and they can cry all they want about throwing them the ball, you are supposed to/ expected to run the route exactly as practiced, it's about timing. Everything behind those two WR's are very mediocre to poor.

#6 We need a Center and OT.

#7 When the coaching staff is in place, and camp opens... The battle for QB is open. Competition is good. I think Kenny wins unless they pull of something that gets them a Mahomes or some reasonable facsimile.

I developed my viewpoints from a retired OC who was a very good OC in the 2000's and one that is a current one and tossed in some thoughts from a DC.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Interesting that this thread came back up. When I first posted this most of you said it was too early to tell. What does everyone think now that the sample size is a bit larger?

I am still on the fence. If Kenny can get paired with a really good OC, then I definitely still think he has potential to be a franchise QB. I am just not sure that is going to happen here. Tomlin does not have a history of making smart hires. I have absolutely no confidence that the next OC that gets brought in will be an upgrade over Faulkner/Sullivan/Canada.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Kenny will get another chance next year so we shall see

But right now his arrow isn’t pointing up

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I don't think it is 100% Tomlin's decision.
    Ohmar is not tipping anything, but I get a strong feeling he's going to have the hammer.
    The main key is chemistry, and the Front Office and Tomlin must be on the same page.
    But I am 100% with you, the confidence factor is shaky at best.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I want to see What Kenny can do with a new playbook, new OC, and new Center ... and maybe another WR threat.

I don't think he will ever be top 5 in the league, but if the team around him is strong enough we can be successful.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Best arm I have EVER seen!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    the duck sunk em?

11. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    bigk is dead and living in philly pa

12. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022

YEAH ?

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    many here thought kenny was NOT the guy. so did many in the Steelers FO, it appears.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Yeah, but some here fought tooth and nail in every damn thread that he was the guy.
    Even if the thread was about the new punter.
    SMH

15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Pretty sure this debate can be put to rest

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

you might.....if HURTS goes down.....IN PHILADELPHIA

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    the votes here are interesting, if you go back and look.

over 50% of the votes where him, as a backup, elsewhere.

18. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Just option 1
    The rest are alive and well

19. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Im gonna go out on a limb and say we trade him. :roflmao:

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I’m watching tanner McKee highlights and starting to believe Pickett might end up #3

22. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Ok Strummer,
    Now you're just pouring salt into others

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You have to admit it would be pretty funny.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Where is @Formerscribe to tell us how much better He was than Mason, and how what they did proves it. LoL . Now We shall see who is selling real estate faster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    No ribbon left in the the ticky ticky typewriter?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2