1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Kenny the Guy?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Oct 20, 2023.

1. Steelers Franchise QB for the next 10 years

22.9%
  2. Backup QB on another team

50.0%
  3. Starting QB for another team

8.3%
  4. Out of the NFL in 4 Years

18.8%
  1. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    In 2032, Canada leaves the Steelers and goes to Canada to be the head coach of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Pickett and Tomlin, after 10 consecutive 9-8 seasons, finish with a record of 11-7 and win the Super Bowl with both retiring soon after.

2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Everything you said makes sense. But it just isn't the way the Steelers operate.

3. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Anyone remember when Terry came to town? I was very young, but they say he was a disaster for a couple years. So I guess we see how it goes because we know they will give him his shot.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Terry was a mental disaster at first but he had the best arm to ever play the game coming out of the box

5. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    He struggled for a year or so didn’t he?

6. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh yeah definitely

Even in 1974 the year the first super-bowl was won the Steelers used 3 different quarterbacks

But once they settled on Bradshaw it was him all the way

7. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    That’s what I was thinking. I’m not saying he will turn out, but they have to feel him out and it sucks while they are doing it

8. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    There was a time when young quarterbacks would not even see the field fir 2-3 years but free agency and contracts have changed that

9. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Isn’t that what this year is about? I know it is for me. I’m using this season to determine if I found my Franchise or I’m in the draft hunt again. I’d make no bones about it and would be sure to communicate that to the young man. For me it’s simple. This entire season, and I mean to be fair, he (KP) has the ENTIRE season to show me he can lead this franchise for the foreseeable future. If you don’t get it done, we’re looking. You simply cannot win today with out “that guy” at QB. As Pittsburgh fans we know that even more so than others. Other fan bases will try to get by with a solid good QB but not a great one. That won’t get it done. You need to find a great one to get there. I’m not even getting mad at his play, others yes, but not KP. Rather, I’m simply watching hm for our future and if he doesn’t work out let’s get the early exit out and begin the hunt again. We have the next draft to do so.

As of now I’m still on the fence as our team is too. Tip the scale for me KP.

• Like Like x 1
  10. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    They never really gave Mason a chance. Pulled him for a <duck> who swam great then -----Quacked---- his way to :noose:

11. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Something we never really consider is that a head coach really has to re-learn how they manage their team when a long time QB leaves. How many coaches have won multiple SuperBowls with different QB’s? Crybaugh comes to mind but Ray was his leader. George Seiford with the niners I think? I can’t really think of any others. Typically, coaches struggle to remake the teams identity after the loss of a champion QB. I guess Washington did it with Gibbs?

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You really cannot compare 1970 with today's roster tactics. Bradshaw and every other player was held by an organization for their entire career if the team wanted. The only way out was to find another league, the WFL lasted for 2 years, or not play. Alos it was expected for a QB to take a few years to actually learn the NFL game, many QB's called their own plays, there were far less coach's, and the game really was not a full time job. When the season was over you did not come back till training camp, they had 6 preseason games back then.

Today with the Cap you need to make decisions faster on your players. After his 3rd season the team needs to make a decision on a 1st rounders 5th year option. That is guaranteed the moment they make the choice, so you lock your Cap for that year at 18 to 30 million bucks (more or less depending where he was picked). While they do not have to make a decision this year, if they do not see enough after year 3 the decision has to be made, choosing wrong can set the franchise back years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Kenny may or may not be the guy, but Tomlin didn’t do him any favors by retaining Canada when he could have upgraded at OC and given Kenny an opportunity to take the next step in his development. I’ve said it before, but I don’t trust Mike Tomlin one bit when it comes to developing a young quarterback. He’d better get the OC hire right this upcoming off-season.

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep, Gibbs did it with three different quarterbacks. To me, that was an amazing coaching feat.

15. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Did Shula do it? Was Greasy hurt one year? And I think Parcells did it when Simms got hurt. But none of the cases was a situation where a coach/QB situation was long term and most were led by their defense

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Parcells did it with Simms and Jeff Hostetler thanks to Scott Norwide. Not sure Shula did it without Griese.

17. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Ole’ Pat M sat around for a year and watched and that seemed to work for him. Maybe he needed a year or so to figure it all out. I would have played him the entire preseason for a shakedown. They knew the direction they were going.

18. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Parcells did it with LT! Lol

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He definitely didn’t hurt the cause, lol.

20. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    :bscow:

He’s been on the team 6 seasons

21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Well they had Alex Smith, while maybe not living up to his first player picked, was still a high quality QB and led the Chiefs to two western titles and Mahomes came into a honed winning franchise. I can't say if he needed a year to sit, I think Andy Reid could have found a way to make it work, but coming from the PAC 12, that year on the Bench under Reid and Smith certainly seemed to benefit him.

22. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Well coming from the ACC, Pickett is seeing a lot for the first time and he only had Mitch to emulate.

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I always laugh when this non-sense is spouted. The never gave someone a chance. Certainly there are those who get away because their position is so over crowded, the system in another place is a better fit, or it just takes time for the lights to come on, but MR had chances (even if the team around him sucked as well), and when given the opportunity to find another opportunity no one wanted him, Now he could become another Geno Smith and end up starting for another team and making a pro bowl..or more likely working for Lowes selling toilet bowls.

24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The difference between setting a year under Andy Reid and learning behind Smith. Not even comparing Pat M's talent with KP, just saying the education one got was far different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    They gave up on MR as soon as he got into the building, I have never seen such a reasoanbly high drafted QB just tossed away so quickly, he must really have sucked hard at practice, it never ever felt like he was ever looked at as the heir apparent, jsut a warm body for a year or two, the rest of the NFL obviosuly felt the same as he's back here with no interest shown.

I have to think whatever the word on him in the NFL is, it got round quick.