1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Kenny the Guy?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Oct 20, 2023.

1. Steelers Franchise QB for the next 10 years

22.9%
  2. Backup QB on another team

50.0%
  3. Starting QB for another team

8.3%
  4. Out of the NFL in 4 Years

18.8%
  1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Based on what we have seen over the last year or so, is Kenny the guy? Or will the Steelers be searching for their next QB in the near future.

This is not a bash Canada thread. We all know Matt Canada isn't helping Pickett. But Pickett's play has been awful at times. He flashes just enough greatness to keep fans hopeful. But that could be said of Mason Rudolph too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    TOO SOON to call
    Unfortunately i'm tipping towards option 2.

UNLESS, We add STDs option of getting Andy Reid for 5 years then KFP could be here for 10.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Need about 2 more options on that poll. *Will find out after Matt Canada is gone and *Possible starting QB for another team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Kenny isn’t terrible but his situation isn’t favorable for him either. Not enough evidence to determine a NFL future just yet.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    That's where I am at. Leaning towards option 2 unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I added another option. This poll is regardless of Matt Canada. He could be here for the next 10 years for all we know.

7. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Still undecided with the options. Not enough evidence to support any prediction at this point from myself. All I know is I’m not giving up on Kenny just yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    The poll is based off of what we have seen from Pickett so far. I remain optimistic, but I'm voting option 2 for now

I feel like when a player has it, you can tell early on. Kenny's flashes of greatness just don't happen often enough.

• Like Like x 1
  9. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Option 4 Out of the NFL in 4

• Like Like x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Added

11. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Keep it going. How about ….*NFL HOFer

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    https://steelersdepot.com/2023/10/k...-pickett-this-year-and-why-hes-not-giving-up/

warner explains a lot here. it's not KFP's ability but his progression and pre snap reads. it's not that KFP isn't going through his progressions but how he is going through them. i've seen him go through them too quickly at times and when he gets to the second and third read he locks on to it. he makes bad throws at that point hurrying the route before the receiver is open because he is anticipating the pressure, whether it is there or not.

seems like warner is saying kenny isn't starting at the right point with his progression. almost wasting time with a covered route, pre snap, before moving to the next. then feeling like time is running out before he gets to his second or third read. we see at times it is making the O-Line look worse than it is because he starts to leave the pocket to gain time but many times he doesn't need to. also when he leaves the pocket he stays focused on that last read instead of looking elsewhere or back at his first couple of reads if you will. at that time they have opened up but he had already moved on from them too quickly. almost forcing himself through all his progressions whether he should have or not. basically giving up on them too quickly just to feel like he has gone through them.

pre snap he may need to start with his second progression first and move on at times seems to be what warner is saying. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    He's either going to be great or suck. Only so many ways to say it. Lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Still holding out hope that he’s our guy but I’ll admit that some doubt has creeped in over the last few weeks. Let’s get him a real OC and see what he can do. If he fails then, move on.

• Like Like x 2
  15. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Yes, the 2 extremes should be options.

I'm still undecided i can see all a possibility at this present time
    Hoping for the best

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    One option should be too early to tell.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    18 games is a fair sample size. We gave up on Mason Rudolph after a much smaller body of work.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    S.T.D would be in heaven with Reid here!!!!! LOL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

The Guy!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph's body of work was spread out over four seasons, not one season and five games. Also, we had other data to work with. We had the team's determination to ensure that they didn't have to rely on him. Look at everything the Steelers did before the 2022 season. They kept Haskins. They signed Trubisky. They spent a first-rounder on Pickett. That spoke clearly about what the Steelers thought after seeing him in practice and games for four years.

We have even more data now. We saw the entire NFL pass on him. Nobody wanted him even as a backup, much less a starter.

Giving up on a first round quarterback five games into his second season would be idiotic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    17 games started and he's 10-7. not great but just actually one full season up until now. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  22. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    Do we really need to rehash how bad this team is? I think that can be accomplished in just one thread.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    Yea, and Mason was being juxtaposed to Big Ben at the time.

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Isn't everything you said based on NFL level coaching? Why can Kurt Warner watch video of Kenny and determine very quickly what much of the issue is but our coaches can't seem to see it? Obviously, some of it is on Kenny but if he had an OC that saw this stuff on film and pounded it into his head, don't you think Kenny would be laser focused to change his approach? He seems like a smart enough guy and should be able to pick it up and I know the ability is there. Pickett is doing the same things over and over and he's regressing significantly. This can only be attributable to two things; 1) either Kenny Pickett is not talented and intelligent enough to take the next step in spite of coaching or 2) Kenny is not getting coached up in the art and science of becoming a quality NFL quarterback. I'll tell you one thing, when the Steelers finally do part ways with Canada, they'd better pull out all of the stops to get Kenny an OC that can help him develop into their next franchise guy. It doesn't need to be somebody from within who's next in line or somebody they find at the OC thrift shop!

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I actually didn't vote because You didn't have a choice of not sure, and that is where I'm at with it. All players can get better, and He has done both good, and bad things in His short time here. I personally need more time before I can say either way.

• Agree Agree x 2