1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time to switch from the 3-4 to the 4-3

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Aug 23, 2014.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I know this has been on this board several times and I'm a big supporter of the 3-4. I believe if both are equally effective I would go with the 3-4 hands down. I think it's more adaptable and you can disguise more blitzes and coverages.

But with us getting gashed with our nickel defense of
    JOnes, Heyward, Thomas and Worilds maybe we should go with
    Heyward, McCleandon, McCullers and Tuitt or Heyward , McCleandon, McCullers and make Worilds a DE. The two linebackers would be Timmons and Shazier. We are getting nothing from Jarvis Jones and by time we do, his rookie contract will be up. But we can make him an ILB along with Spence and we would have some solid backups.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't like disguising plays. I prefer to have our guys line up and beat the guy opposite them. I prefer the 4-3.

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It doesn't matter if you have a 3-4 or 4-3, it's all about the talent you have playing at the positions, we went to 3 Superbowls with a 3-4 defense playing at a high level, would a 4-3 make any difference, or would the players we have play any better in a 4-3, I would argue that with the players we have now they wouldn't play any better in a 4-3, some teams are playing a hybrid 3-4 4-3 scheme now anyway depending on the game time situation.......

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It won't happen, they need McClendon to step up and handle the middle so the LBs can make the plays.

5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Exactly... The whole damn D needs to step up! Especially the front 7!

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Simple answer? No. This would make our defensive "rebuild" take even longer, plus we'd have to turn over personnel that wouldn't work as well in the 4/3 like Heyward, Tuitt, and JJ. Don't see this happening.

7. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think that with Tuitt, McCullers and Heyward in place it will definitely be easier next year. If they pan out I would love to see a 4-3, and who knows what we do if Worllds walks.

8. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    Everyone should like at the article on Steelers Depot on "How to fix the Steelers D" great article and pretty much what I have been saying for two years now. Doesn't say we should switch defenses but personnel. Again great article!!

9. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If a 4-3 is required to fix the nickel defense than I say yes.

I do not care what their base is, but the nickel needs fixed; it sucks bad. The personnel does not have the skill set to run the 2-4 nickel. It lacks a lineman and an end/olb. Hayward fits, and Worilds is ok maybe good for the 2-4. If Tuitt progresses in range and push and Jones gets more physical the 2-4 will work. Until then I think then I think Jones comes off the field. He is clearly the weakest link.

I am not sure what combination of lineman to go with after he leaves the field. Maybe Shazier makes up for the lack of speed and range on that side if a lineman is there. Timmons plays on Worilds side as he is more physical than Shazier and that would be the smaller side.

10. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I looked it up. It says to sign Harrison because Jones is soft, start McCullers cause he is the closest thing to a nose tackle we have. This is to shore up run defense. Press the corners and have safeties play back to stop the short passing game.

Plenty of people wouldn't mind seeing Harrison back in the mix, and most would like to see some press coverage rather than playing ten yards off.

Watching McCullers play so far makes me think he isn't ready since he doesn't play with leverage. It doesn't matter how big you are if you stand straight up.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/steelers-defense-broken-fix/

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I disagree with a lot of that. I don't think the person who wrote that truly understands the Steelers defense. Using our current personnel as press corners? McCullers, the guy who plays standing up as an answer to the run defense that isn't broken in the 3-4 base? Bringing in Harrison as an upgrade to Jarvis Jones?

12. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I agree.

In what world is selling out against the run going to get us anywhere? The NFL has changed and is a pass-first league.

McCulers has been routinely single-teamed this preseason. Totally buy his potential long term but I don't think instructing him to "push forward" is going to magically solve our woes on D

13. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm with TTF on this... Don't agree with the article at all. I believe JJ isn't as close to what we need him to be... And as much as I love JH, we can't bring in an older guy who is a one trick pony now. I've heard that said on this board a thousand times that this person or that person is just a one trick pony. It was used a lot in reference to Mike Wallace. Even the guy in the article says JH can't cover or run much any more... He's contradicting himself by talking about the new prolific offenses and bringing in an aged OLB who might be a better pass rusher than JJ but that would be it. We'd lose a year of possible development on a younger OLB for one more year with JH. Harrison isn't gonna bring a Super Bowl to Pittsburgh on his own. We all were spoiled with the great defenses in the past, and now we are struggling with the thought of our growing pains as we get younger. Someday 9-10 years from now, we shkuld all hope to be sitting here saying these same things about JJ and/or Worilds or shazier, asking the front office to bring them back lol. And starting McCullers as TTF pointed out that he plays standing up and is very raw as our answer to stuffing the run? No thanks.

14. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    What I like most about the article is we need to change our front four. JJ does not need to be on the field yet.

Heyward, Keisel, Tuitt and Worilds
    or

Heyward, McClendon, Tuitt and Worilds.

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    If all things are equal I preferr the 4-3. We won 4 superbowls with it. You put 4 DL who can control the LOS and pressure the QB half the battle is won. In the 3-4 you require 3 guys to control the LOS playing two gaps. YOU MUST have a solid true NT controlling both A Gaps tying up 2 OL or you will struggle. This is the problem. GOOD NT are rare with too many teams running the 3-4.

We've been running hybrid defenses because we lack a true NT, true pass rushing DE, press corners, effective OLBers.

If the choice is between the two I'd go with 4-3. Move Worilds to LDE. Heyward to LDT, Thomas to RDT & McClendon to RDE. WIL Spence. MIKE /Shazier & SAM /TIMMONS. Backups being W/Garvin... M/Williams... S/ JJ

Cajun-

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Michael K. Reynolds must have been on crack when he wrote that article.