1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time to move to a 4-3?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Frost33, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I'm just wondering if perhaps the usefulness and efficiency of the 3-4 is past. I've been a big supporter of the 3-4 for quite some time, but it doesn't seem like the whole zone blitzing and disguising where the blitz is coming from has worked well, especially against good QBs and coaches.

We now have two very good nose tackles that could easily be DT's instead. DE's might be a bit more of an issue, but I don't think it's that hard to fill.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    No.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The old 3-4 defense is already obsolete or rapidly heading there since so many teams are going 3 or 4 wide on almost every play. The Steelers use defensive alignments that deploy five and six defensive backs and only two true linemen on a lot of snaps.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    60% + of the time we do already. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think either scheme can still work. It's just a matter of having the horses to run it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    A 3-4 without a dominate NT cannot work. At least not very well.

We are one edge rusher... 4-3 DE away from a viable 4-3 defense .... Our LBers can easily play in that scheme.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It's time to go another step and actually go to a 5-1-5 ...This is the best D to stunt with and have better coverage guys on the field...The LB needs to be a quick SS type like Shazier..The NT needs to be a big 2 Gap player just like Snack was..The 2 Tackles guys who can play the run and rush the passer..the same for the 2 ends with more onus on speed so they can loop and stunt behind the DL and around the Offensive tackles...Mike Zimmer is wotking towards running this Defense a lot now, the more that Teams pass the more it will continue to evolve...

The bottom line is you need more pass Defenders on the field this is the D to get them on the field..

• Like Like x 1
  9. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Just because we are in Nickel, doesn't mean we aren't still running 34 concepts up front.

The question is no longer 34 vs 43
    It's 1 gap vs 2 gap
    And the answer is hybrid :)

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

The game has evolved from schematics matchups to personnel matchups. Finding the best method of attack for either side of the ball is key.

Formations only get you so far; all the more reason that the rise of tight ends like Rob Gronkowski or hybrid players like Deone Buccannon are so vital in todays game.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you are correct it is a hybrid. the OP was asking about running a 4-3 as opposed to our old 34 okie defense i presume. it's all highly adjustable now depending on the offensive alignments. we do use our ILB'ers as more of a dime at times too. there were times we used 3 safeties too. you are right though it's not a true 34 or 43. :cool:

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bill Belichek would disagree with that statement. That guy is all about schematics to win. Please don't tell me they have the horses to beat everyone else in the NFL, because they aren't that good on paper. They lost 2 stud defensive players, and didn't have Gronk. It's not just about personnel at all, it's also a lot about scheme. Of course you still need guys that can get the job done, but you also need to put them in a position to succeed. Scheme does that.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Patriots scheme to create personnel matchup advantages. Their game plans differ depending on the strengths, weaknesses and tendencies of the opponent. So yeah it's about scheme, but it's scheming to take best advantage of the personnel matchups that are favorable to them, and to best cover up the personnel matchups that are less favorable. So I think Bellechick would agree fully with AQL's statement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we had this conversation each of the last 3-5 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

So... same old squeaky toy making noise? :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's all about beating the Pats. Doesn't matter otherwise. You can play 34 or 43. It's about having corners that can press and play man and 4 players who can collapse the pocket consistently and get pressure. Our personnel is all wrong to beat Brady. Our corners are too small. Our outside linebackers are not fast enough and our linemen are not strong enough to collapse the pocket. We just have the wrong personnel to beat the team that you have to beat to get to the Superbowl.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it was just the last 3-4 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Its not base defense, its personnel.. Wade Phillips runs a 3-4 and beat the cheatriots. G-Men run a 4-3 and beat the cheatriots. Its personnel and pressure from the front 7. Cheatriots can be beat with a 3-4, why turn the defense over on its head when you just need to add a couple pieces...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    True and I have and continue to maintain that it's just about having the guys to get it done.

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Time to go to a Nickel and Draft accordingly.

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes. This.

If 4-3 with press man was the way to beat the pats, then every team would do it.

The pats took advantage of mismatches - primarily our lack of depth at DB and the probability the D would tire and execute poorly against no huddle. This strategy was not guaranteed to be successful, and it wasn't a foregone conclusion based on scheme. It was a (very well) calculated gamble that paid off, just like the Giants' approach of rushing four against them was a gamble that paid off.

The defense needs a few more pieces, which can give them more ability to respond to teams trying to exploit the mismatches.

23. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    We can debate scheme, gap,personnel, coaching but The OP is about 3-4 vs 4-3 on this team so I'm assuming he's asking what scheme best fits this team with this personnel/roster. I feel this roster best fits a 4-3 type of scheme if it adds a DE/edge rusher. With our DL like Heyward,Tuitt,Hargrave they can 1-gap Or 2-gap along interior of the LOS. Dupree has the size and strength to hold the edge or rush the QB generating pressure. Adding another 4-3 DE type would solve so many issues. It helps with Nickel,Dime, Hybrid defenses.

4 Players who can hold the LOS or Pressure the QB Frees up the Secondary and LBer Corp to make explosive plays.

Cajun-

24. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    What difference does it make if the steelers are only sending 3 rushers on a lot of snaps. Doesn't really matter what the steelers run, if they dont get pressure they will get picked apart by Brady. If there was a steelers team built to beat the pats in the past it was when woodley and harrison were both wreaking havoc. Dupree is on the rise but need that other rusher since Harrison shouldnt play more than 50% of the snaps.

25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Just curious which of our OLB's you want in coverage? Dupree or Harrison or Jarvis Jones in coverage? I don't think we have the right personnel for a 4-3.