1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time for some lineup changes?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Oct 13, 2014.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    think certain players need to be benched but I know it won't happen. Cam Thomas and Cortez Allen need to sit. I also think Troy should sit as well. Will Allen, McCullars and McCain should replace these guys.

On offense, I think we should start Darrius Heyward-Bay in place of Wheaton and Lance Moore in place of Justin Brown.

I'm not saying that this will fix our problems but we need to send a message that your mediocracy will not be tolerated.

2. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'd sit Cortez Allen yesterday. Am I thinking wonky or wasn't Moore in for much of the game yesterday and sucked it big time?

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not sure how much worse Tuitt could be, why not play him.

Once Shamarko gets healthy they need to fit him in somewhere.

I think Martavis Bryant could be the redzone threat we need.

4. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Cortez Allen for sure needs to ride the pine. I am not a fan of Mike Mitchell at all.

5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mitchell had 2 hits yesterday that dislodged the ball.
    maybe he's slowly getting it?

6. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    We have no one better than Cortez Allen. What would be the point of sitting him? Shamarko is injured, not that we'd bench Troy anyway. Lance Moore needs to sit. You can't drop 2 passes after spiking the ball and making an ass of yourself.

7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think we have no choice but to play both Tuitt and McCullers with the injuries to McClendon, Kiesel, and Hayward. And someone else already said it, Cortez is the best we have so he's not going anywhere.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Tuitt will be taking over for Thomas soon, other then that, shouldn't change anything. These guys need more time together, not less. Do a massive overhaul of the lineup, you'll only take that much longer to gel.

I swear its like you guys forgot the second half of last season happened.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know about gelling but I hope they sit everyone down and explain their responsibilites and the goals of the defense. On that final TD drive of the Browns yesterday when Tate pounded it in, did anyone catch what Tuitt did? At the snap of the ball he drove his man clear back into the backfield, almost five yards or more, pretty sure it was Tuitt looked like number 91. It was quite a display and had it been a pass the hole he opened for a blitzer was huge unfortunately it was a run and he left a huge hole because the LB's had stayed in their gap. That is one of the problems I see guys just being over zealous and blowing their assignments. Not sure how many times I watched them stretch out a run play like in the old days only to have the RB cut back into a hole opened by a guy not maintaining backside contain or holding the line, but instead getting down field and blocked out of the play. They need to simplify in my mind.

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I need to go back and look, but I thought that was Thomas.

11. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    :lolol:

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I remember the second half of last season. I also remember the 70's (some parts are fuzzy). Neither of those memories have any bearing on this team now.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ben needs to hit a receiver on the move with an accurate pass once in awhile. not behind them, not out of their reach, not just when they are squared up to him. dear lord that makes me crazy.:cool:

14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I remember the second half well, as too little too late but encouraging coming into this year. I'm really stumped as to how this team resembles nothing to that to the one that caught fire towards the end last year. It's almost like they regressed even more.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not to mention a lot of different faces.:cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    70's doesn't, last year sure as hell does.

17. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Last year means absolutely nothing. This is not the same team from that last 6 or so games that we made it a some what relevant season. Only improvement from last year is Leveon Bell.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Pouncey is back and the center to right guard is better, Heath is healthy so the TE play is better, Will Johnson looks like a beast in his traditional role as a fullback/lead blocker but not so much as a TE, Worilds is proving that Bulter and Lebeau knew what they were doing by not playing him before last year. Spence is proving that writing him off as never playing football again was a mistake. Ben is proving that he is back to 100% which means he don't need to follow this dumb dink and dunk passing game and can sling it around the yard like Brett Farvarah did.

Ok that last one was the frustration talking.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, and Im sure all of you never thought they'd go 8-4 last year either, thats the point.

And the team is better then last year, so even more likely they can go on a run again.

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not an overly religious man Blast, but the only way they go on a run, I mean a serious run is if they have a come to Jesus moment and every single player buys in, swallows their egos, and pulls in the same direction.

21. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Not a lot lot honestly. The only true player were missing is cotchery, and at this rate I don't know what he'd be doing for us. Same thing for sanders. Only because the O is producing atleast eyeball wise kind of the same.

maybe they turn it around, but so far Mitchell is AWOL save for a couple good hits on Sunday, Thomas is worse then ziggy and Worilds is doing about as much as a benched Woodley. Moats and Harrison aren't doing a whole lot and Williams a familiar face should be playing over spence right now in my opinion.

Still a lot of familiar faces doing familiar things other than beach has regressed and Foster is worse as well.

Dropped balls, bad penalties/missed penalties seem to be a staple now and even brown has dropped a few gimmes.

play calling seems to be hit and miss and the lack of coaching is the same old same, so yeah save for a few new faces who made us faster and younger atleast on paper, the old outcome is becoming the norm. And I can't believe that enough change in personnel has led us to this state. Not enough change in the shot callers probably has

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Blast, Not sure where you get the team is better than last year. Record wise maybe but they seem to be playing worse than last year and even more dis-functional.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Come on you guys, they looked horrendous those first 4 games. In order to win games, you need to be doing something right, they did nothing right early last year.

@Thorn, I'm sure you felt that way last year, yes?

24. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I love your optimism and I forever root even in impossible situations. Too much magic taken place in this teams history to want to mail it in, but I think we're headed back to the 80s and 90s where you had a D with heart and no QB. Ben's time is limited and the D is in shambles. Throw in a half wit coach (who I've been rooting for as well) who seems to have really lost any leash he had, and it's not looking so hot for us.

I know it can change, we have the players to do it, but the leadership don't seem to want to accept that they may need to go back to school.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    pouncey. wheaton. ike. woods. even spaeth and heath healthier. there are several different players that are missing or have bigger roles. it's a quite different look than we had. some should make us better but we seem to be having the same results with a lot of changes from that team. I'm not saying they can't go on a run but I really expected a lot more this year. seems like we improved in some spots but digressed in others where changes were made. it's really hard to pinpoint one spot of weakness or strength compared to last year and why they are not responding in kind. a real head scratcher to me.:cool: