1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it the refs, or is it the NFL?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Feb 4, 2019.

Refs fault or the NFL's fault?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2019.
  1. The officals are methodically getting sloppier?

16.7%
  2. The NFL has created rules that are impossible to enforce cleanly?

76.7%
  3. The officals are so sick of haveing to officiate a trumped up game that they simply don't care?

6.7%
  1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think we can all safely say that officiating in the NFL is becoming the monster it should never be. If the officiating is done right it should never be talked about and lately officiating is a topic of discussion in nearly every game played.

But is it the officiating that's going downhill or is it that the NFL has created a game that simply can't be cleanly officiated?

I learned from my time in a classified military job to look at the root cause of a problem and not the color, shape, or size of the bandaids that get applied. The reason for the onslaught of rule changes in the NFL have nothing to do with the NFL's desire to minimize injuries, it's 100% driven by the NFL's greed. (the NFL being 33 people, the 32 owners and Goodell).

The NFL turns a blind eye to HGH and PED's because HGH and PED's turn players into un-natural physical specimens who inflict great damage on each other for six months; and we as fans pay through the nose to watch it! Simple logic tells us that if NFL players become bigger, faster, and stronger every year they are most likely to inflict more damage on each other. So the NFL is faced with clamping down on HGH and PED's which will reduce their profits by huge amounts; or, spend a little of their money and implement equipment and rules changes with the side benefit of making it look like they care about player safety. THE NFL DOESN'T GIVE A RATS ASS ABOUT PLAYER SAFETY!!!!! They are simply protecting their profits knowing the players have no choice and the fans are mindless sheep.

The result is that we see unacceptable officiating in virtually every game, every week.

2. More Balti

More Balti Member

Dec 3, 2018
    You forgot the fourth option.

It's you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Holy cow. I remember when this was the Steelers talk section of the forum.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm absolutely ashamed at how many Steelers fans on here are cry babies. The Pats won. There are bad calls in every game. Get over it. Bunch of spoiled brats on here whining because you didn't get the result you won. And they say millennials are bad. Jesus

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    even @HeinzMustard is not crying, he just stated they would win and walked away lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    What happened now? I didn't even watch a single snap of the Super Bowl and the Steelers haven't played since week 17. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    You forgot the 4th choice:

o-Do you think the NFL gives a rat's a** what we think?

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I think it's absolutely profit driven. Some players get protected more than others. There were several questionable calls/no calls yesterday but, the one that stands out was the no call as Goff was going out of bounds. Had that been Brady, the flag would have been thrown. Anyone who claims differently is trying to sell something. It's quite simple, if it's a penalty during the regular season, it should be a penalty in the playoffs. If it's a penalty for Brady, it should be a penalty for Goff! Then again, if Goff had had a fit and cried to the refs like Brady, they may have thrown a flag...........

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This topic had zero to do with the Patriots or the Super Bowl. I'm guessing you didn't even read the original post?

I guess this is representative of today's NFL fan, don't give a ****, just let me watch football and critique the people who care about integrity.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Nobody goes to the other sections. So it would be smart to let people talk about everything here until the season starts.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    There’s a reason nobody goes there.

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Because they don't know it exist tbh. We got a lot of newbies to forums on here. People stop coming here until the draft. I know I do because the Steelers are done and if I want to talk about something it's going to get moved to a section nobody even goes to.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Refereeing is no better or no worse than it was 30-40 years ago. What has changed is 20 different camera angles in high def with slow motion and high resolution zoom.

That's whats changed

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Dang, and I thought I was getting old. :drinks:

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This has obviously made a difference but to say that the officiating hasn't changed is like saying automobiles haven't changed in 50 years. It used to be if you tried to kill a guy on the field it was sometimes a penalty, now if your hand grazes a QB's upper body it's a penalty. Officiating has changed night and day because of the new definition of the rules every year under Roger Goodell.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    With a mic drop.....he catches a lot of flack but he looks like the smartest one here. At least the most realistic :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    True.
    But Im speaking about how "good" officiating is in regards to what is called/missed.
    But yes, the 10,000 new rules don't help either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There are clearly different rules for NE that's a fact. You're right if that was Brady. No holding calls all game against Suh and Donald until the end....please. A critical hold called against the Rams. 5 PI penalties all season? I counted at least 3 last nite not called. The penalty on the hit in the backfield which would of put them in 3rd and 20. Last year Gronk gets a 2 game suspension for hitting a guy laying out of bounds 10 seconds after the play. In the same week I believe Thomas Davis gets a 3 game suspension for a live action block. Why only 2 for Gronk? Because the third game was against us. Coincidence I think not.....
    Ask yourself this ....when was the last game NE got robbed by the refs? Every close call goes there way....hmmm?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yawn

22. standupsteelerguy

standupsteelerguy Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2017
    I don't come here much anymore for the same reasons you just stated above. The fans in the 70s would beat the crap out of these "fans" that come here and whine and tell them the man up and act like real Steeler fans. We are better than that. Or at least we used to be

• Like Like x 2
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think in just the last year, the incessant whining has chased off a lot of really good posters. You can take 2 weeks off now, and when you come back the same people are still just repeating themselves. Nothing new. Nothing well thought. By definition, half of the people are on the left side of the bell curve. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think he works for Belicheat.

25. tarzansteel

tarzansteel Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Uhh....last time the Pats played the Steelers. Every other game it's the other way around, but that game, our boys in Black got some serious beneficent officiating against them for a change. The Pats are the ONLY team that really can't whine about getting critical calls not going their way. Second Place, however, belongs to our Pittsburgh Steelers IMHO.