1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Just Me?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Aug 27, 2016.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Or did Jarvis look pretty dang good last night? Seemed like he was speedy and powerful and getting some good pressure. I've not got to watch it again since it was on a feed and NFL Network isn't airing it again until 4pm Monday but did he look good to anyone else? I got a sense of relief watching him blow the pocket up early. We need all the help we can get for our secondary and a solid pass rush would be just the thing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And Landry Jones...Was it a full moon?

• Like Like x 2
  3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I was joking in the game thread last night that we should call Landry "Haley's Comet" because Todd Haley is his OC and he so rarely plays like that. LOL!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Landry and Coates both looked good vs the Saints.

5. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    yeah against our old player Tony Hills
    anyone would
    :roflmao:

6. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Well, he basically ate up their injured left tackle then ate up his even worse replacement, soooo . . . yeah, he looked good (for what it's worth).

Is it just me or is Ryan Shazier too fast? He shoots gaps, comes out of nowhere, flies to the ball, but almost always seems to over pursue and miss the tackle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I had him in my winners section of the game. He made Terron Armstead, a tier one offensive tackle, look frustrated as the game wore on.

He had quite a bit of pressures as well. It seems losing that weight has really helped him out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I will never say a good word abt LOLandry. Last time I did he turned to :poopy:

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I said Landry and Jarvis would do good. Saints suck though so let's see more data.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Javon Hargraves looked really good at NT, may have something special there...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Reminds me of a young Polamalu in that respect.

Shazier also tends to rely on his speed to cover mistakes. Hopefully the coaches are on to that habit, as it's not something he can rely on forever...

12. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Just might be the Steal of the draft when All is said and done!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Is it just me, or was Timmons performance off. He had a nice tackle & FF but was always a bit late/ behind on coverage/pass plays. I can now see why the steelers haven't extended him yet. He'll still play good football but it's obvious his best days are behind him. This mat very well be his last year .

Cajun

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That stuff is fixable. You know what isn't fixable? Being slow. Shazier will be a stud provided he stays healthy.

• Like Like x 2
  15. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    I agree, Shaner82, that Shazier will be a stud. I'm hoping this is a breakout year for him. He has the skills and the instinct, he just needs to put his performances against the niners and cincy (playoff game) together for a full season. Of course that would make him the runaway DPOY so perhaps that's a bit optimistic.

Thigpen82 (hmm . . . are you and Shaner82 related?), I was also going to draw a comparison to Polamalu. I know you referenced a "young Polamalu" and my memory has removed any pre-awesome Polamalu play (and post, too, for that matter) but all I can remember is Polamalu finishing those plays. Every single time. By throwing his entire body, in the worst, most non-textbook form of 'tackling' that no high school football coach would every want his kids to witness. Still, highly effective in only a way Troy could have pulled off. Where Polamalu was a freaking missile that always obliterated its target, Shazier is like a high-speed train with a passenger that approaches the conductor and offers, "I think you just passed our station."

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  16. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    I'd have to re-watch it, but I felt like Timmons' coverage was pretty solid -- sometimes the qb just makes some nice throws and that qb was Drew Brees.

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Lol.

I was thinking mainly of Troy's first season when he had a few noticeable misses. Some were even questioning whether we should have picked him, as I recall.

But like Shaner says, all fixable. I think Shazier will give some QBs nightmares this year.

18. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Yeah......this is true and is what I was thinking as I watched it but I still think part of it is Timmons slowing down. I hated when they didn't resign Farrior and unless Timmons has a really good year I just see him going he same route.

Cajun

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    It may appear that way in that preseason but when the game means something he is the best tackler on the team. Going by memory only but I think last year he had the most tackles. Could be wrong. Too lazy to actually look it up lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [QUOTE="cajunyankee, post: 403046, member: 304"]Is it just me, or was Timmons performance off. He had a nice tackle & FF but was always a bit late/ behind on coverage/pass plays. I can now see why the steelers haven't extended him yet. He'll still play good football but it's obvious his best days are behind him. This mat very well be his last year .

Cajun[/QUOTE]

You are not the only one who saw this then. Then again... Timmons has lost a step and should not be placed in coverage. I know preseason is vanilla... but I hope that Butler will not use Timmons in zone coverage considering he cannot get into his depth quick enough; maintain it doubly so.