1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it any wonder why Bell wants max $?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 30, 2018.

1. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

You know those names? Well you're older than dirt.

Junior Seau's family has their own lawsuit against the NFL? Gee imagine that, even the super rich and famous people want even more money. That's the new America, regardless of what I do there's always someone else you can blame.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    For one thing, CTE can't be confirmed until the person is dead. Every one of those people you cited is alive, so we can't confirm either way if they have it.

Your ignorance on this subject is disturbing. I get that some football fans want to stick their heads in the sand and ignore the danger that brain injuries pose to football players, but the science behind it is real. The reason I asked you about green font is I was just surprised by the ignorance in your post. This isn't just about Mike Webster, for whom steroid use could have also been a contributing factor. Even the NFL, which tried for years to discredit research into CTE, finally acknowledged the link between football and CTE.

I'm not saying these guys deserve extra pay due to the threat of CTE. Bell faces no more risk than any other player in the NFL and what he's asking is way out of line with what NFL running backs get paid. This isn't the 1980s or even the early 2000s any more. Players can't claim ignorance about the threat of brain injuries any more. The truth is out there now. But to cling so desperately to ignorance in the face of science and fail to acknowledge a very real threat to the health of the players is dangerous and foolish.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I know those names and I’m not older than dirt. Dirt has been around a long time. I am older than some pretty big trees though. :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    None of those names mean anything to you? You're just deliberately contrarian.

5. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

CTE can't be confirmed until the subject is dead? I posted that already in post #31. So you reposted the same thing 21 posts later and think you're "smart"?

My ignorance is disturbing? Prove CTE is caused by concussions. I'll wait.

The science behind it is real? It is real, really inconclusive. Mike Webster had something that has been named CTE. He played football. If football caused it then EVERY football player should have it but every football player does NOT have it. That's called inconclusive evidence. Whether the NFL is going to continue fighting it or just pay the guys off isn't proof.

Steroid use could have been a contributing factor in Mike Webster? So since you're this self claimed expert on steroids and concussions, compare and contrast the long term damage that steroid use and concussions have on the brain. I can't wait to see your post. I fully expect you to attempt to escape the debate with some "It's not worth my time" excuse because you don't know anything more than any other average person does about CTE. You watched some boring movie and now you're a know it all on CTE.

Study of the brain is almost entirely new science. They see damage but the cause of that damage cannot be determined because they can't see it until after the patient dies. How come it takes years later to show itself? The truth is we don't know. Could concussions cause it? They could. It could also be genetic.

How come George Foreman doesn't have CTE?

Science is not supposed to be about what people will claim just to get easy money.

6. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    I think Mike Webster was messed up. Steroids probably messed him up, some genetic snake eyes probably messed him up, and MAYBE football messed him up but so far we don't know for sure.

EVERY football player should have it and they don't. EVERY boxer should have it and they don't.

Real science is not jumping to conclusions when the dots don't all connect.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Where did I say CTE is caused by concussions? Actually, people with CTE don't even have to have a history of concussions. There is a cumulative effect from blows to the brain, even ones that don't cause a concussion. It's why you see many organizers and coaches in youth soccer limiting headers in practice and even games.

Webster used steroids. Steroids can cause psychological problems. But not every person who has CTE has a history of steroid abuse.

I know more than what I saw in some movie. When I worked in journalism, I wrote quite a bit about brain injuries among athletes, particularly the measures that can be taken to help prevent them and treat them properly. I also took a more personal interest in it when my nephew suffered his second concussion playing high school football. Even before that, I had been reading whatever I can find about brain injuries in sports for years.

I became particularly interested when I read about Merril Hoge nearly dying in the locker room due to second-impact syndrome. It's just one area in which you could educate yourself quite easily if you cared to do more than stick your head in the sand. Hoge suffered a concussion during his first and only season with the Bears. Then the doctors allowed him to return too quickly and he suffered a second brain injury before the first had healed. After he was taken to the locker room, his heart actually stopped, but medical personnel were able to revive him. He spent two days in intensive care and couldn't recognize members of his family when he woke up. He had to re-learn how to read, among other challenges.

But to you, it's all made up to get money, right? It's really sad that you aren't kidding about this.

I never said they can't see signs of CTE while the person is alive. I said they couldn't confirm it, though I was reading some studies that they are getting closer to overcoming that hurdle. Webster, for example, showed signs of brain damage long before his death. So did others who had CTE, such as Justin Strzelczyk.

None of this means every football player is going to get CTE. Your assertion that they all have to have it or it's bull**** is ridiculous. You sound like one of those people who won't vaccinate a child because of some pseudo-science that was debunked years ago. I'm just glad most people seem to know better.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This really is the most ridiculous thing you've posted. Not every knee tears when a person plants his leg awkwardly. Two boxers can be hit by the same punch and only one would be knocked out. People's bodies react to stresses differently. Just because everybody doesn't get injured in those situations doesn't mean people can't get knocked out by a punch or tear the ligaments in their knees.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    SHENANIGANS!

10. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

Merril Hoge doesn't have CTE.

If every football player doesn't get CTE then what is the cause of CTE?

I vaccinate everything, even the neighbors dirty kids when their parents aren't looking. You're the type who would be afraid of vaccinations.

11. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Not every football player is going to get CTE? So there's a genetic component to it? I think I mentioned genetics already in post #55 and once again you've taken my information and reposted it as if it was yours. I guess it's what you "journalists" all do.

I didn't say people can't get CTE from concussions. I said it's inconclusive. You're saying "We have proof" and then you're contradicting it.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Smoking can cause Lung Cancer, but everyone who smokes doesn't get cancer.
    It's one thing to have a difference of opinion about a subject, but you're being pretty ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Smh ... you so called fans ...hating on somebody's else pockets. Really, its not any of your concern. Im glad that none of you are In charge of finances. Have any of you geniuses, ever thought, that more people (if not anybody) can do your job ... compared to only a few can do what Bell does?!

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    And those few won't make anywhere near 17 million.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's the best you can do? I know you are, but what am I? That is exactly what you just did in that last line.

I listen to doctors and science and you don't, which is exactly why your thinking is like those who refuse to vaccinate their children.

Repeating the same awful argument doesn't make it better. Not every football player gets CTE, but that doesn't mean blows to the head suffered by playing football can't cause it.

Also, you don't know that Hoge doesn't have CTE. You questioned my knowledge regarding the link between brain injuries and football and I gave you an example. I'm far from a medical expert, but I clearly know far more about this subject than you do. Mostly, I know enough to pull my head out of the sand long enough to see the threat of permanent brain injury that comes with playing in the NFL.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not contradicting it at all. Exposure to a risk factor for a medical condition doesn't guarantee that every person who is exposed will suffer from that condition. See SteelerGlenn's post for an example. I gave you others, but you are too busy burying your head to see it.

I'm not taking any information from your posts because they are clearly devoid of it. I'm just pointing out your ignorance for what it is.

Now if you want to argue that people can suffer brain injuries without playing football or boxing, that's true. These can happen due to accidents or other sports. I know a high school soccer coach who has cognitive issues that started during his days playing soccer in high school and college and became worse due to an accident at the school.

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's on them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it really isn't. Bell is being unreasonable. He isn't worth that much more than every other running back in the NFL, and that would be true even if he didn't have a significant injury history and two suspensions for violating the league's drug policy on his resume.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    You just agreed with my argument.

So who is being ridiculous?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  20. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

Is that the best that I can do? Great men have to use language that is at the level of their subjects.

You listen to doctors and science? One doctor is not science.

My thinking is like those who refuse to vaccinate their children? Except it's not. You're thinking is that blood letting works.

Repeating the same argument doesn't make it better? Then stop repeating my facts as if they were yours.

Not every football player gets CTE? That's because it's not caused by football.

But that doesn't mean blows to the head playing football can't cause it? But that also means that there are other factors. Hmm, I wonder if drug use is one of those factors? Like cocaine? Jamal Lewis was convicted of selling cocaine.

I don't know that Hoge doesn't have CTE? The last time I saw him on ESPN he was fine. When is he going to get this CTE thing?

You clearly know far more about CTE than I do? You "think" you know more about it but journalists never know anything about anything until others explain it to them.

You know enough to pull your head out of the sand long enough to see the threat of permanent brain injury comes with playing in the NFL? So when is Rod Woodson going to get this CTE thing?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Exposure to a risk factor doesn't guarantee that every exposed person will get it?

That is my point.

That is the third time you have reposted what I already said in an earlier post. I thought you journalists were not supposed to plagiarize?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    You mean he's wise and perceptive? I agree.

23. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It's a shame there are so many stories of these former players being broke just a few years after finishing their careers. You would think people with "university degrees" would have some basic life skills to not blow millions in salary in just a few short years.
    Some but not many take responsibility for their plight most blame their agent their family their so called friends.
    All too often it's the same thing over and over you show promise as a great athlete and your looked after and protected by the coaches the school the system, why because the student athlete is a money maker.
    What you end up with is someone who has close to zero life skills, takes no responsibility for their own actions, has a fake education and then an NFL team hands them millions and is shocked that so many fail in life.
    Well at least he played well and entertained us.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he didn't agree with your argument. You just don't understand his point or mine.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, what you claimed was that the threat of CTE isn't real because not every player gets it. That is not what I wrote. In fact, it's the opposite of what I wrote.

Contradicting someone's words does not constitute plagiarism. You really should stop using words you don't understand. Perhaps you could find some in a coloring book that aren't beyond you.

• Like Like x 1