1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it a make or break year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 24, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    For,

Artie burns
    Bud Dupree
    Vince Williams
    LT Walton
    Any others?:cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Artie, Bud, Sean, L.T., Chick, Hunter, Jesse James and Marcus Tucker for me are make or break.

Vince is fine. Not worried about him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    For Artie Burns, I don't think it is yet in the Steeler's eyes. They've shown time and again they are willing to give 1st rounders plenty of time to get things corrected.

I think it is for Bud though, even if he's only a year ahead. And then I don't think they would let him walk if he has a down year. I think they would just lower their contract offer after the option is done. If he wants to test the market so be it.

I think Vince is safe and L.T. is safe imo. Depth along the d-line is always sought after and I think Walton has filled in pretty good.

I think Grimble is on the ledge. Jesse James is still pretty young and they'll keep him around.

With our lack of depth at OLB, I think Chick is safe. Last chance for Justin Hunter and Touissant I think. If Hunter does his usual and blow people away in TC and preseason then fade in the regular season, I think it'll be his last year. They'll find a big target in the draft. Touissant will be pushed by the younger competition and survive or not.

4. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Perhaps if you have to give a 1st round pick 3-4-5 years to get things corrected, then they are players who should have not been picked in the 1st round. Dud Dupree is the poster boy for this lost cause. The Steelers were enamored by his size, speed, and athleticism. Whoops, he is not a really good football player. Football instincts, knowledge, and skills are not part of him.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    There's a reason Dupree with all that H.W.S. slipped down in the first round, but I believe they were overcompensating on Jarvis Jones' lack of athleticism. So far it hasn't worked out other than Dupree being a serviceable starter. Will he make a difference moving to the right? We all have to hope so. But there are a lot of first round edge guys who haven't panned out. It just sucks because we had two in a row with Bud and Jarvis. But I think we hit it with Watt.

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
  7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Good question. I hope Burns will flourish will the talent and experience now around him. Just my opinion, but to me Burns seemed to be trying to do too much last year. I still think Bud will end up being a stud, I just hope he does it for us. Vince and LT aren't going anywhere. The guy I will be watching this year more than anyone is Tuitt. I loved him coming out of college. I was extremely excited when we got him. I have seen flashes of what he is capable of. A few injuries have hampered him. I want to see him come out healthy and show that he can take over a game. I believe he has the potential to be better than Cam, and that is saying a lot!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think Burns will do well this year. Coach will dumb it down and he should excel. Dud Dupree I will wait and see, dude is glass honestly. When healthy he looks meh lol.

TJ watt makes up for them lol

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    For Artie, he is good enough to be a back up for years to come, but if we want to be a starter and make bank ... this is a make or break year.

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Artie doesn't seem to whiff or blow overages often, his tackling often leaves something to be desired, but if your asking a CB to tackle all the time, it's a sign the defense is not so swell. But, it would be nice to see a game changing type play like an INT a forced fumble. I don't see many of the Mike Tomlin worded splash plays of him yet.

11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'd take Watt over Bud, but Watt was injured this year too. I think the way these guys play lends itself to injury. I also don't think they are made of quite the same stuff as lb's of old are. I mean Bud sits out a year because of a finger. Lambert would have played without his head. Wasn't there a game where the only body part of Lambert on the field was his hand? And he still led the team in tackles, sacks, and assaults on the other team's family members!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Everyone who started as a CB and S. Athlon sports ranked the best players at each position. Not a single Steelers CB or S was ranked in the top thirty of each position. Ranked Steelers were: Ben #4 QB, AB #1, Ding-a-ling #1, DeCastro #2, Watt #9, Cam #2, Tuitt #11, Pouncy #7 that's it! Eight out of 22 got ranked in the top 30 at a given position. No ILBs. No TEs.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin and Butler.....
    Player wise....besides who you mentioned...Tuitt,Davis and Tucker. If Tucker can't crack the roster this year it's time to move on...

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Everyone in the secondary and Dupree is on the bubble. I already think burns and Davis just dont have it. Solid backups and fill in guys but not starters.

15. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think Sean Davis and Bud Dupree are in a make or break season. If Burns has another season like last year he will be on a short leash in 2019. Vince Williams isn't a problem, I think he will be ok as long at he has someone better than Spence playing along side of him.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why do you think they have brought in so many on the back end? They don't like
    what they are seeing. Here is hoping Burnett, Sutton, Hilton pan out. And this years draft choices
    make a measurable impact. As far as Bud goes, I am done and over. I am rooting for Kion.

17. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    For me Artie Bud and Sean Davis are all either improvement or done. It’s time

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Vince is in the last year of his contract. Let's forget the sacks, those were mostly due to late blitzes and coming through untouched. He has trouble getting off of blocks. Do you think Vince deserves a 3rd bigger contract? I don't. I think he is very average. I think we need more production from his spot.

Davis however led the team in tackles and interceptions. I think he improved quite well in his second year. Year 3 usually is a large jump for a player. Davis has been thrown at the slot to start, then SS and now FS. That's a lot to absorb for a rookie and second year player and then to lead the team in those categories ain't to bad. He will get some better coaching as well.

LT has played OK. Nothing special but OK for what we needed. He couldn't take reps off of an older guy in alualu last year with an ailing tuitt. I think his spot may be up for grabs though a new coach could bring more out of him.

Artie has consistency issues. Tackling is a problem. The steelers always had good tackling corners, Artie isn't one of those. Again a new coach could help here. We will see. I think we have guys behind Artie that could push for his spot this year. Artie does posses better speed but if you are late to the react party that speed is negated quickly.

All this just my opinion.:smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    LT Walton has lost favor with me. In reviewing the Jacksonville game, the guy was a clear weak point to the run defense and got manhandled. He was a big reason they had so many running yards. We need the beef up front that can manhandle and disrupt the O-line and have the pass rush skills to get to the QB without depending on blitzes. In my opinion, one of the most important requirements of a defense.

As for Bud Dupree, I think the guy is going to have a productive year and surprise a lot of people.

Vince Williams - I think the guy is playing at his full potential. I like him, but think he's a functional player at best. I think we took a hit at ILB with the departure of Lawrence Timmons.

Artie Burns - I'm surprised he's not been grilled like Dupree to be honest. This guy needs to have a good year in my mind to label him not a bust. He really hasn't lived up to the 1st round potential in my mind. I see him get burnt way to often. Hoping for a good year for him. Think we have ok but not great corners. A bit jealous of what Jacksonville has at cornerback at the moment.

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I really don't see the disdain towards Sean Davis. Think people are jumping on him unfairly. Maybe if the dude has a bad year this year than we can start talking, but I don't think that will be the case.

I pretty much feel the same way toward Vince. We really need a big time middle linebacker IMO. We do not have it. Maybe a priority in next years draft. I'm not sure what's coming out however.

LT Walton, not a big fan. I see him as a liability actually.

Not a big fan of Artie. Think he plays fine against the run, but I get nervous when the QB is throwing the ball deep to his side. Feel like offenses can exploit that more than they do unfortunately.