1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Haleys time up?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 25, 2017.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That streak reminded me of good ol' bend don't break Steelers defense with the ability to keep them in every game if the offense wasn't working.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok just googled him just to get a little more background . Found a interesting bit of info in the search from a Bills message board....sounds like exactly what we need. FTHI:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    He'd probably get to, in a year or two.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ironically, for all of the talk of the window closing on Ben, think about where we are now.

Deep receiving corps, including the solid big guys, the quick playmakers, and the magicians. These are receivers who can take short passes and make the rest happen.

Solid running game capable of dominating a game.

O-line who have had their best season for some time.

Young defense improving consistently. Some gaps (specifically pass rush), but on the way up.

I look at that team, and I think: technically, a game-managing QB should be able to get that team far. No doubt we are better with a healthy Ben - absolutely no doubt - and I still think his retirement talk was a kick up the ass for the younger guys in the team to step up and play to their potential.

But we aren't looking at the 80s Steelers, who not only lacked a big-game QB, but also had little depth at receiver, no-name RBs and a less than stellar DL.

So... I don't see the window thing. The only reason we should let Haley go is if he's clearly failing to get the best out of his offense. And I don't know if he is or not.

5. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Here is my 2 cents.

Hypothetically Tomlin and Bellicheck are both fired today.

You send Tomlin to the Browns... they never make the playoffs.

You send Bellicheck to the Browns? They will play in the Superbowl that year.

Coaching is a huge issue. From field play-calling \ conditioning \ locker room. Tomlin is out-matched.

The only reason the Steelers are in contestant year in and year out is because of Ben + drafting a good RB or WR. Tomlin is nothing special.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You're probably being a little facetious but no, he wouldn't.

People can dump on Brady all they want, I have too, but he's a large part of BB success. I'm really hoping he continues to coach after Brady retires, then we'll have the answer to that question.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Guess who was head coach of the Browns the last time they won a playoff game?

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Then went 5-11 the following year and 0 SB's ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The Browns were pretty much in turmoil that year. Modell was planning to move them to Baltimore and word was spreading throughout the team and the organization. Belichick and his coaching staff had a tough task to try to maintain focus. Under normal circumstances had the Browns stayed put and had Belichick been given time, he would have built a winner in Cleveland, IMHO.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I have no doubt Belichick would have a competitive team in time no matter who it was but he's not having the type of SB success without a QB like Brady.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    As Shula sorta said. Winning involved luck. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck.

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely the perfect storm in NE when they drafted Brady. It will be interesting to see how Belichick fares without Brady but I just wonder how much drive he'll have after Brady retires. Belichick knows how to get the most out of a quarterback. Case in point, Matt Cassell, 11-5 with him as the starter. 3-1 with Jimmy Garapolo and another guy (forget his name) to start off this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    To be fair, when you're told your team is leaving, it would probably be tough to get up for the games that year. Cleveland was at that time an up and coming franchise, but it fell apart when they announced the move.

I do think Belichek would have Cleveland as a contender in 5 years or less though

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I've always wondered if Brady would be Brady if he was drafted to any other franchise. Belichek has a way of getting the most out of his players. If he can't for whatever reason, he dumps them, regardless of pedigree. Take away Belichek and I'm not 100% sure Brady ever turns into a top starting player

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think its the other way around but thats true of any coach with a lot of success. Take away Bradshaw, Montana/Young, Aikman, Elway and where would those coaches be. Pittsburgh would likely have the best chance because of that defense.

17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That's why, IMO, what Joe Gibbs did in Washington, winning three Super Bowls with three different starting quarterbacks, is one of the most remarkable coaching accomplishments in the Super Bowl era.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Especially as Doug Williams was essentially the back up QB for most of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Doug Williams will forever be a legend for one of the greatest quarters of football in history. Although maybe you could argue that Denver will forever be legendary for one of the WORST quarters of football in history? LOL!

20. Guest

Guest Guest

If Haley leaves Pittsburgh, will he take the shrubs with him? :shrug:

Inquiring minds want to know! :lolol:

21. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I was re-watching SBXXII a few months back, as it was the first SB I got to see in full back in the 80s so naturally one of my favourites.

The thing that always gets me about that quarter is the Redskins don't particularly do anything tricky or amazing - it's not like a scheme breakdown by the Broncos or anything. They just run faster and throw better than the Broncos can defend.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Apparently Tomlin didn't give a glowing endorsement of his coaching staff when asked about next season. He just said theyd be evaluated accordingly. Thats a change from the previous year when he said they'd all return.

There wasn't enough to link, just a short paragraph at the end of another story, I pretty much posted verbatim. Went on to say that Danny Smith and Porter may be on the hot seat.

I hope one more is on the hot seat.

23. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Haley stays Ben goes! Ben gives the Steelers just enough to keep them from going to the big show. This is a business, it's time for fresh blood and bones over center.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Great, lets waste all the talent on the team while we search for a new QB.

KC could fart and have a replacement for Haley but could take years replacing Ben.

25. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I think the went 3-1 without TB at the beginning of the year. Not bad. It think if i was the GM of the Patriots and I had to choose between Brady and BB, even 8 years ago when TB was in his prime, I would pick BB. He is the complete package in a coach. He can recruit, motivate, out-smart, and cheat better than any coach in any sport right now. I hate that he is that good, but it is what it is. I BB had the talent we had on our team it would scary where the steelers would be.

• Winner Winner x 1