1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Haleys time up?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 25, 2017.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. Although I'm not convinced it's all Haleys fault I think Ben's inconsistency plays a roll too,we need Ben for a couple more chances at a ring so whoever is gonna make him happy then bring him in. Ben better realize that it's all on him then....no more " I run the play they send in" there will be no more excuses it will be put up or shut up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    I'd rather see changes on the defensive side of the ball. We lost to New England because of the style D we play. even if the offense would've put more points on the board the D would've found a way to lose the game. imo

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not going to ignore 9 weeks of solid defensive play because Brady and BB made them look foolish. They make teams look foolish regularly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Just had the same conversation with a buddy of mine. He wants Butler gone...I still like the direction the D is heading. 7 th youngest in the league.....still have high hopes for Senquez,if he can ever get on the field. Heyward will be in full beast mode next year. Couple of holes to shore up,hopefully addressed in the draft and or FA. Offensive league ,so I feel offense needs to be at its best and keeping your franchise QB happy is pretty high on the list. I know we need OLB or maybe even a switch to a 4-3 after the debacle Sunday,so maybe DL. Give Ben who ever he wants for OC just stop with the passive aggressive crap already. Icing on Ben's cake OJ Howard......my draft crush. Kick Green to the curb and use the 5 mil on FAs.....:smiley1:

PS I know your from NY too. It just might be Knicks/Bulls all over again...I know you know what I mean...Maybe Brady will take a year off to go play baseball

5. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Only problem is tho....IF we wanna make it to the big game, we'll have to beat New England. :shrug:

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep. Going nowhere until they get that monkey off their backs or someone does the dirty work for them.

Still missing some pieces, maybe through this FA and the draft they can get there.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He already is a OC for Minnesota I think,

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So much for averaging 30 points per game. What a farce. Sort of like our HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Which is why the Steelers lucked out in 2010. Had the Jets not done us a favor, I doubt we go to the SB that year.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, but with a better ending hopefully! Freaking Hawks :frustrated: :lolol:

11. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    The only and I mean only thing he has done for this offense is keep Ben of his a***. I think he is an average play caller. I could care less whether he stays. With the mostly veteran offense we have the play book should have been a bit more challenging. I mean could you image if we ran a shuffle pass with Bell in the slot and pitch him the ball. Kind of like what KC was dong with Kelce. That is the sort of stuff we are missing. Plus the Steelers used to be the king at the HB pitch pass, and I have not seen that since Haley was in charge. I have never really been a fan. Hope his time is up.

12. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Coates catches that pass on 3rd and 1 and we aren't talking about TH. Play calling at times could have been better, but no Bryant all year, Green mostLy a spectator, TH had to change things all year long. He will be back

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    there needs to be an airing of grievances between the two :lolol: Ben is usually the last player to meet with MT, so I'm sure they can bring Haley in and discuss what went wrong and why the disgruntlement. I just don't understand how Ben can call plays at the line but when he's questioned on what happened at the goal line series (Jesse James stopped at 1/2yd line), he says "I just run the plays they call" or whatever he said. When is Ben allowed to audible and when is he not, I guess would be the question. We won't ever know, but I can't imagine them being pissed if he called for a QB sneak and he gets in the EZ.

There does seem to be a disconnect ALL OF A SUDDEN. I didn't hear much on this topic all season or last season. So I don't know if Ben's pissed about the team's performance and just spouting off or there has always been a disconnect. If there is one and MT doesn't think he can fix it, then they may be looking for a new OC. Things can only bubble under the surface for so long before there are other ramifications.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Ben got a little backlash for changing the play and or plays in the KC game....he was probably told to stick with the plays they called down there on Sunday. So he was just waiting for them to fail so he can say...I told you so or in his language...I run the plays they call. I personally don't think it's a relationship that can be smoothed over ,there is still animosity from day one. Maybe Ben was fine with it when he was airing the ball out to Bryant and Wheaton last year but because of the inexperience at WR this year we reeled it in a bit and because of our Red Zone struggles both of them are on a power trip...make Ben happy give him what he wants so there are no more excuses...

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I didn't hear about this...

16. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Why do they not trust quarterbacks now a days to call their own game ? Are there too many specialty players or packages that prevents this ? I'm assuming in the 70's everyone called their own plays as Bradshaw did. Maybe Bradshaw was one of the few ?

17. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    **** no to Norv Turner... you crazy.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm m not saying it as fact but it sure feels that way to me. I mean we all know he has at least some freedom calling plays and audibles....so why all of a sudden is he acting that way.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm getting a vibe you don't like that idea :lolol:

Why not? Because of how he left in Minnesota?

He's a great offensive mind, very good at developing skilled positions. His offensive in SD never finished less than 5th in scoring. We know what he did in Dallas. We have the kind of pieces he's had a lot of success with.

The only thing is, he has expressed working with a rookie QB but I've never heard of him having bad relationships with players.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't agree with this. It was the wrong call in that situation and it would have been the wrong call if Ben threw it to AB and he caught it.
    Considering what Bell had done in the playoffs (and most of the season), give him the ball every time in that situation. If Bell doesn't get the first down, no one is going to say "Ben should have threw it deep there".

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If we bring in a replacement for Haley I feel we can go in 2 directions. 1. Someone Ben is comfortable with and has good relation...Fichtner is really the only one that comes to mind there may be others...or 2. one of these new " brainiac " types who is up to date with the new offenses that are being run today but at the same time is flexible enough to be able to incorporate some of what we already do and what Ben is familiar with. Whoever it may be though it has to be someone who can develop a gameplan weekly if need be to finally exploit the other teams weaknesses. Afte all thes years with Ben it still feels like we pull our plays out of a hat...There are some games but very rarely that they actually use some plays to set up others,many other games it seems just random.

If I had my choice especially with the talk of Ben's days being maybe even more numbered than we thought I would like to see a young fresh mind brought in that can work with what we have but at the same time facilitat our future....I really think some of our staff is stuck in the Stone Ages...PS .....FDSI..

22. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just curious, who was Ben's O coach in college?
    I ask because to change everything up now at this point in his career may not be cool.
    I would be more comfortable with familiarity.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It would almost certainly be Fitcher. Familiar, gets along with Ben, not a big shot that will clash. Ben would have lot of control in that relationship.

24. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Browns-need I say
    Colts-without Luck
    Giants-tough
    Bills-average
    Bengals-tough
    Ravens-tough-a very good play by Brown
    Browns-need I say
    Dolphins-with Matt Moore
    Chiefs-a holding call away from maybe losing

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dont care who they played, they were the catalyst for that 9 game win streak by holding teams to about 16 points a game.

And theres really not much if any drop off between Moore and Tannenhill.

They dominated the Chiefs. And without the holding call, JH gets to Smith. Either way, they never convert. The offense inability to score in the redzone was the reason that game was closer than it should have been.

• Agree Agree x 2