1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Haleys time up?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mentioned this the Ben retiring thread but thought it could be its own topic.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...st-blowing-off-steam-and-isnt-going-anywhere/

That article speculates that maybe Ben and Haley are on the rocks again and that maybe Haley was Bens target with his alluding to retirement. Get rid of him or Im gone.

Like the article states, Ben isnt going anywhere, not next season anyway. But if they did move on from Haley, who would you want?

Norv Turner is available, I always liked him as an OC. Wanted him when they hired Haley.

2. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes, probably that's what Ben is targeting with his comment.

About your question, I don't care about names, just:
    a) Someone who can open the playbook in the red-zone
    b) Also, who has QB sneak in his options for short yardage, and
    c) Come on, this is a 5 ProBowler offense, you must be able to score more than 17-18 points to anyone

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The first thing I thought of when Ben came out and said what he said was that maybe he's just sick of Haley. There's no doubt I'm the biggest Haley fan in all of Steelerdom but I said earlier if it's Ben or Haley I'm taking Ben 6 days a week and twice on Sundays. A BIGGER question I have been thinking about is what if Ben wants TOMLIN gone and you were the Rooney's? Whose side do you take and what horse do you ride with? I don't necessarily think he WAS talking about Tomlin but IF he was and you were the Rooney's would you let Tomlin go to keep Ben a little longer?

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh. As far as who I would take? Hm. I don't really know but it had better be somebody that believes strongly in running the ball. I'm of the opinion that the more we keep this defense off the field the better off we will be.

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    If Whiz didn't already have an OC job maybe I'd say just bring him back. I don't know man. He also ran a pretty good offense in San Diego but McCoy is a moron late in games and would apparently overrule him and cost them tons of games. So maybe I'd just take Whiz back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Him and Ben didn't have a warm and fuzzy relationship either.

And before anyone says, "who cares what Ben wants, you dont let the nuts run the asylum", there is a very short window here, so yes, give Ben what he wants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't know who to get to replace him, but just about anyone would be better at this point. It's obvious that other than Ben getting sacked less, which also has to do with a better Oline and better RB, Haley has shown he's out of his depth as an OC, just like he showed he was out of his depth as a HC.
    The no QB sneak was the final straw for me, and Ben said in that article he would have snuck it 4 times if needed, but the plays came in from Haley.
    This season was the first time since Haley came aboard that the Steelers made a legit run in the playoffs, and that wouldn't have happened if Ben didn't take over in the 4th quarter of the Ravens game.
    With all that said, I'd be very surprised if Haley isn't the OC here next season, and maybe beyond.
    HARUMPH!!!

8. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I like Norv Turner. But I don't think Haleys going anywhere

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Window is tiny. Like 1-2 years before we hit the slumps.

Balls out steelers...do what you can to win #7

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think both will be back next year.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    When Haley's offense cant score with a 1st and goal from the 1 foot line you have to question his play calling, even the announcers questioned it, with a 6-5 245 pound QB we couldn't gain a foot on a sneak?

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And what if Ben retires? We don't know. He has been beaten, has 3 kids and his wife to think about. The nagging injuries, ect. I hope he comes back for a season or two. He really has nothing left to prove. He will eventually be in the Hall of Fame.

That being said he sure shock up things huh? Tomlin's response at his press conference said otherwise. And I feel that Ben and Haley never really saw eye to eye. Everybody loves everybody when you win...

Again, this year is the time to draft his heir apparent whether he comes back or not.

13. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    If we're naming alternates for Haley I wouldn't be opposed to Norv. Another possible decent pickup could be Raheem Morris, who is the current WR coach of the Falcons (and if I remember correctly a good friend of Tomlin).

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thought about him and they probably would stay in house. Plus, I think they were considering him before deciding on Kirby before he got hurt.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Not only that, but 7 trips to the red zone in the KC game and we only get 6 F/Gs to show for it....

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if we want to keep the core of this offense together randy knows them well. :cool:

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Tomlin did state he is not opposed to coaching changes...

Should this be the case, someone in house like Bobby Fitchner could be the lead candidate.

If not him.... not sure.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Haley stays until Ben's run is over but I'll play the what if game.

I really liked Tom Herman but since he just took the job at Texas he's probably off the market for a couple years.

Scott Frost is another intriguing candidate, currently the HC at Central Florida and inexperienced, but could be one to watch in a few years.

Tee Martin has been doing some good things at USC.

Matt Canada just left Pitt for LSU but he could be another one to watch in a few.

I'm kinda of tired of the NFL re-treads. The only one I would have been excited about is McCoy but he's back with Denver.

20. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I was in Haleys corner from the start but now that I see he is a roller coaster ride of offense, he can go. Too much talent on this offense for our guys not to be putting up big scores in games. I know there are injuries and what have you but, if you insist upon a team having all the right conditions then, you might as well have one of us running the offense.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not a Haley fan, so of course I am going to froth at the mouth with any possibility of him being gone. With that said, if there really is a disconnect between him and Ben, can they afford to keep him?

22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

No freaking way. If ben tried to pull that the Rooney's better show him the door. Otherwise you'll have the same situation you had in Washington with rgdip****

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You don't let the inmates run the asylum.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Inmates, nuts, mines more colorful :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2