1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Eli better than Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 15, 2012.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Giants are 9-7. In 07 when they won the super bowl they were 10-6 and beat one team with a winning record. Ben has to play MUCH better defenses on a consistent basis than Eli. When we won in 08 we had one of the hardest schedules in history and still went 12-4. Give Eli that kinda schedule behind the kinda line that Ben has w/o even mentioning that we had BA and I think it's obvious that Ben is better. That's just my opinion and in full disclosure I HATE ALL THINGS MANNING AND FOREVER WILL!

2. PitJax

PitJax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I never thought I would say it either, but Eli showed more poise, more patience, and more smarts than Ben. Ben is a much better athlete, but Eli showed how qb is to be played. I always thought Eli was a wimp, but I now give him props.

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Lets be real about this. If Mike Tomlin would have sat Ben down for 2 weeks and been a BOSS and not a BYSTANDER it would've been us in this game and not the Pats and then we could've seen us go head to head. That's my opinion anyway.

4. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Give credit where it's due. First you blame an easy schedule and then you blame Tomlin. Down the stretch Eli played better and especially smarter football than Ben topped off with a very SOLID SB performance it's as simple as that. I'd still prefer Ben as our QB but to try and find excuses to diminsh Eli's performance this year is just silly.

5. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Right now it's Eli IMO. 2 Super Bowl MVP's vs none. Still have hope Ben can re-invent himself under a better OC so ask us again next year at this time.

:flag:

6. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Agreed. Although I think Ben should've been the MVP of the Superbowl vs. the Cards.

But yes, Eli has improved a ton this year, and Ben has plateaued, and I think part of that reason is there's nobody pushing Ben... That's why we need a new OC

7. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    Agree!

8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't know who I would say is better, I would say they are about the same. I was watching the game last night and just sort of laughing at the play calls. The Patriots need 3 for a first down, who is the primary read? Not the guy running a 20 yard slant, the primary read is the check down guy who is in the flat with one-on-one coverage. The Giants need 1 on 2nd down, they don't line up 5 wide, they run the ball off tackle for 3 yards.

Ben has regressed in the past year, but I think it was the two guys together. Ben wanted to do down the field. Arians wanted to go down the field. They went down the field.

9. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    Speaking of play calling, did you notice how often the Giants used their fullback as a run blocker? It's like having an extra lineman right there to throw that last breakaway block. He even bailed them out with a huge fumble recovery. Plus he went to Pitt!

10. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    xEleventybillion.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So far Ben has been slightly better than Eli in their careers, but if I had to take Ben or Eli from here on out, I'd take Eli. Eli seems to keep getting better and better, whereas Ben seems to have peaked years ago. He's not getting better and hasn't for a while now. He just refuses to take what the defence gives him and instead goes for the long ball constantly. I'm so tired of seeing him pump fake to the wide open underneath receiver and then throw it deep. when you do that constantly, it won't fool anyone.

12. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I am not sure that is all on Ben. I think it was the perfect storm, I truly believe that. Arians and Ben both wanted to go long. Add in a couple of young receivers who also like to have it heaved deep and you have this mess. The stats between the 2 guys aren't that different.

13. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    To me Ben has a lot more good seasons then Eli has.I dont know the stats per season between each of those 2 but i just think eli had more bad seasons then ben stat wise.

14. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I think it is difficult to say, but if I had to give a slight nod I would give it to Eli probably because he is trending up moreso where Ben is staying about the same. As far the SB MVP category - which I would put a more minor weight on anyway - Eli has 2 and Ben has 0....but I will say this, it should probably be closer to 1 and 1. Ben was certainly somewhat deserving of the MVP performance for what he did against Arizona, but Holmes and even Harrison had to be considered as well. As far as Eli - he never should have won in 08, he really had a fairly average game and nearly threw a gift interception to Assante Samuel that was dropped and of course the Tyree miracle catch....he finished with a 82.1 QB rating in that game - a full 10 points lower than Ben's performance against Arizona. The defensive line of the Giants was the difference maker in that game and Tuck and Strahan should have been co MVPs. Eli certainly deserved the MVP last night.

On a side note, when the Colts won their SB, Peyton should have never won MVP either he had a fairly pedestrian game w/an 81.8 QB rating....the key to that game was the Colts ran the ball well - Dominic Rhodes put up 113 yards. Goes to show you how much having a glittering name makes a difference.

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Earlier in this post, I commented that two years ago the idea that Eli was better than Ben would have been laughable to me, but it wasn't anymore. Since then, Eli played a great game in SF, and won a 2nd SB MVP. So, it's very much not laughable.

I gotta give Eli credit, he always struck me as Peyton's less talented, insecure younger brother. But he has become a much better QB than I ever thought he'd be. He's gutsier and gritier, and calmer-under-fire than I imagined.

Ben has had the better career, so far I think. He's had better seasons. But many Steeler fans like to argue about post-season and SB credentials. That's all that matter, they say. Well, if that's all that matters, Ben's multiple 100+ QBr rating seasons are as worthless and Bradys or Manning big Reg Season numbers. Eli's taken a two teams that were so-so in Dec, and that looked flawed and won rings with them. He took a team that gave up 400 pts this season, that gave up more points than it scored, that was 7-7 and won. Hey', forget the flashy stats that the pretty boys get, this guy wins. Remember that arguement?

You know that magnificent acheivement where the low-rated seed won in the playoffs on the road against all odds and took the Lombardi? Where the gritty, underated Ben defied all odds? Well, Eli's done it twice. And he's done it against the team that Ben doesn't beat, the Brady led Pats.

I still think Ben has had the better career so far. But I'm inclined to believe that Eli will have the better one from here on out. And if he does, Eli will be very simply, and very clearly better than Ben.

16. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I can't include the MVP's in the discussion about who is better. Eli played well, but IMO didn't play any better than Ben played in Super Bowl 43. Leading a team 88 yards for a TD all through the air except for 4 yards on a scramble. Any other QB gets the MVP in that situations...period. Ben did not. Who scored the TD last night? Not Eli throwing the ball. Now, this is not to take anything away from Eli's performance. He was very good, but not awesome.

17. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes remember it well and eluded to this in another thread "The Comparison" earlier today. It seems some here are not as quick to hand that label out to Eli as they are Ben. I agree with everything you've said in your post here :thumbs_up:

18. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Who really cares?

They're both pretty good quarterbacks.

I never understood peoples desire to have to have "the best" quarterback. So what if Ben is 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 10th best in the league as long as the Steelers win more games than they lose with him at QB.

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Which isn't hard to do. Ben admits himself that he doesn't like to study film and I think that is going to hurt him as his career progresses. I think it's already hurting him. Quite honestly, I think Ben is lazy when it comes to overall game preparation, knowing your opponent and their tendencies, studying film, pre-snap reads, etc. This is where Eli really has the advantage over Ben. It's the simple reason why Eli's career has gotten better and better and Ben's peaked about 3 years ago.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I also agree that Ben seems lazy from the intellectual side of football. I just think Ben deserves a HUGE benefit of the doubt given the fact that he's played behind an oline that is at the very least questionable.

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think Ben's play and the playcalling makes the OL appear worse than they really are.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I would also agree with you Vegas. I think it is more the playcalling than Ben's play. I mean if he wasn't so insanely big he would have probably been dead by now. But over the last few years defenders have spent more time in our backfield than our rbs. Think about all the sacks that Ben gets out of and how most guys would be on the ground in all of them. Imagine what the number of sacks would be if it were anyone else playing Ben's style behind that line. The number would be astronomical.

23. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    ONE WORD........YEAH!!!!!!

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't imagine any QB "likes" to do it but I have never heard this or read of it any where. I think it's one of those Ben myths that are floating around. No way he spends as much time in the film room as Peyton or Brady but neither does any other QB, probably not even Breese.

25. BigBen7

BigBen7 Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2012 ... g-standard

Class of 2004 QBs setting standard
    9:37 PM, Feb. 6, 2012

Class of 2004 NFL Career Stats

Ben Roethlisberger http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisbe ... areerstats

Eli Manning http://www.nfl.com/player/elimanning/25 ... areerstats

Philip Rivers http://www.nfl.com/player/philiprivers/ ... areerstats

Matt Schaub http://www.nfl.com/player/mattschaub/25 ... areerstats

J P Loseman http://www.nfl.com/player/j.p.losman/25 ... areerstats