1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Eli better than Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 15, 2012.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Many of us wanted him as the HC. The Rooney rule ruled him out.[/quote:bnaklice]

Doesn't the Rooney rule only require minority candidates to be interviewed? That being said I still don't agree with it. It would have made sense years ago but not anymore.[/quote:bnaklice]
    Yes. And IMO, the Rooney rule was good for the NFL and football in general. As far as Rooney is concerned, it just makes sense that if you are going to draft a rule like that and be the chairman of the NFL diversity committee, you had better step up and put your money where your mouth is. Tomlin was the first minority HC hired by the Steelers. Other than MT, they interviewed Ron Rivera as diversity candidates. If Rooney didn't hire a minority coach, he looks like a total hypocrite. I've got no problem with the hire or the methodology, but to think that Whisenhunt being a non-minority didn't play in on some level, is a bit naive. I don't remember who else besides those three were in the mix. Looking back, I'm glad Rivera didn't get the job and I still like Whiz. Not that I don't or didn't support MT. But now I believe it's time for Mike to assert some control and demonstrate some leadership and get this offense moving forward instead of marking time for 4 years. And that means showing your buddy Bruce the door, Mike.

2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    People usually blamed Cowher.

3. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Bradshaw's better than Mendenhall too.

And LeBeau's no good at all.

The Mara's are smarter than the Rooneys.

4. harrisonisscary

harrisonisscary Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Not only is Eli not better than Ben, Id take half the quarterbacks in the league over Eli, maybe more. He makes the absolute worst throwing decisions ever. Chucks the ball into double coverage, and gets bailed out by his amazing receivers. People love to talk about how when someone has a number of interceptions, some dont count because they were tipped, or whatever, and it wasnt the qb's fault. Well how bout when u chuck the ball up make a horrible throw and have the ball bounce into the receivers arms and he makes an amazing play and scores a td, and Eli gets all the credit on the stat sheet. Or when he throws the ball 10 yards having an hour in the pocket to throw and the receiver takes it the other 90. No one talks about that. I honestly cant believe he shares the same parents as Peyton Manning one of the smartest quarterbacks and nfl players of all time. I really believe Eli is one of the dumbest..

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Many of us wanted him as the HC. The Rooney rule ruled him out.[/quote:1ej9jup2]

Doesn't the Rooney rule only require minority candidates to be interviewed? That being said I still don't agree with it. It would have made sense years ago but not anymore.[/quote:1ej9jup2]
    Yes. And IMO, the Rooney rule was good for the NFL and football in general. As far as Rooney is concerned, it just makes sense that if you are going to draft a rule like that and be the chairman of the NFL diversity committee, you had better step up and put your money where your mouth is. Tomlin was the first minority HC hired by the Steelers. Other than MT, they interviewed Ron Rivera as diversity candidates. If Rooney didn't hire a minority coach, he looks like a total hypocrite. I've got no problem with the hire or the methodology, but to think that Whisenhunt being a non-minority didn't play in on some level, is a bit naive. I don't remember who else besides those three were in the mix. Looking back, I'm glad Rivera didn't get the job and I still like Whiz. Not that I don't or didn't support MT. But now I believe it's time for Mike to assert some control and demonstrate some leadership and get this offense moving forward instead of marking time for 4 years. And that means showing your buddy Bruce the door, Mike.[/quote:1ej9jup2]

If memory serves Whiz had interviewed withe the team then interviewed with the Cards who then offered him the job. The Steelers had not yet met the requirements of the Rooney rule and Whiz couldn't wait. A job offer in the hand is better than the possibility of getting your dream job. Russ Grimm was also mentioned and I think he got an interview shortly after Whiz but before Tomlin. After Whiz accepted the Cards job I think Grimm had the inside track until Tomlin blew the doors off with his interview, don't think anyone saw that coming.

6. Coke Oven

Jan 2, 2012
    "After Whiz accepted the Cards job I think Grimm had the inside track until Tomlin blew the doors off with his interview, don't think anyone saw that coming."

Now that we got him, the sob knows that he cannot be fired, and he coaches like it.

7. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Coke Oven, do you deal or just use.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He most definitely uses! :dancing:

9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    All that being said he threw 8 more TDs than Ben this year and only 2 more Int's than Ben, finishing the year with an overall QBR 3 points higher than Ben's. I wouldn't trade Ben for Eli because I think Ben's style fits the Steelers better but I also don't think Eli is the slouch you're making him out to be ;)

10. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    :roflmao:

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Doesn't matter who we think is better the fact of the matter is that Eli is still playing and his O has been averaging 30pts a game. The goal evey season is to be the last team standing and we are sitting at home.

12. harrisonisscary

harrisonisscary Member

Nov 2, 2011
    All that being said he threw 8 more TDs than Ben this year and only 2 more Int's than Ben, finishing the year with an overall QBR 3 points higher than Ben's. I wouldn't trade Ben for Eli because I think Ben's style fits the Steelers better but I also don't think Eli is the slouch you're making him out to be ;)[/quote]

Exactly. With EVERYTHING Ben went through playing with a broken finger one leg one arm whatever other injury u want to throw out because he is injured more than any other QB, AND with ELI having days in the pocket being 100% healthy and having his amazing receivers make plays and tds out of Eli's horrible heaves into double coverage, Eli only finished with 8 more TDS and Still had 2 more ints, and only 3 points higher QBR. I think that reflects how amazing Ben really is. Oh and lets not forget Ben didnt play every game this season, Eli did...Im not saying hes the worst QB in the entire league, but hes not even close to the same league as Ben. I'd put him in the same league as Sanchez to be honest...

13. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    At a bare minimum all Ben needs to do is throw actual RB screens or check downs and that would be good enough.

At a maximum he needs a new OC that can take advantage of QB roll outs and PA.

14. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. With EVERYTHING Ben went through playing with a broken finger one leg one arm whatever other injury u want to throw out because he is injured more than any other QB, AND with ELI having days in the pocket being 100% healthy and having his amazing receivers make plays and tds out of Eli's horrible heaves into double coverage, Eli only finished with 8 more TDS and Still had 2 more ints, and only 3 points higher QBR. I think that reflects how amazing Ben really is. Oh and lets not forget Ben didnt play every game this season, Eli did...Im not saying hes the worst QB in the entire league, but hes not even close to the same league as Ben. I'd put him in the same league as Sanchez to be honest...[/quote]

Sorry but not even close. We can agree to disagree. Manning rated 7th this year, Ben 10th and Sanchez a lowly 23rd in the league. If the giants go on to win the SB which is a big "IF" right now that gives Manning 2 rings as well so I'd say at that point he'd be in the same league as Ben if not there already. He's certainly a cut above Sanchez that's for sure. As for throwing in to double coverage I've seen Ben do it as well, healthy or not. Just like Eli Ben has had his share of "stinking up the joint" kinda games. We witnessed several this past season like the very 1st game against the rats and he was perfectly healthy. I'll state again Manning isn't anywhere near as bad as you're making him out to be.
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... &Submit=Go

15. Coke Oven

Jan 2, 2012
    "Coke Oven, do you deal or just use."

Are you a brain dead liberal? I think so.

If you knew anything at all about the steel making process you'd know what a coke oven is.

The rules around here are that you're supposed to attack the post, not the poster. If you don't adhere I'll be filing a complaint.

16. harrisonisscary

harrisonisscary Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Sanchez is obviously a lot younger than Eli and has had less years to mature. Eli led the league in INTs last year. Sanchez took the Jets to 2 AFC championship games his first 2 years in the league. And Sanchez doesnt have a supporting cast like Eli does, which was my main point. Running or especially receiving. You saw what happened this year with Sanchez's receiving core. And yes Ben does make some bad throws sometimes like everyone, and into double coverage, but i Rarely look at a Ben INT and say what the hell was he thinking, Eli that happens all the time, im like, that looked as tho he literally just threw it up there and lets see what happens. And lets face it Manningham Nicks and Cruz/ that is a top receiving core and i wonder what his stats would be if they didnt bail him out so much. On the contrary I don't see Ben's stats changing that much if u gave him not that great receivers, hed still find ways to make plays. This is the first year actually that anyone has considered the Steelers to have a strong receiving core that i can remember, since Ben came into the league.

17. harrisonisscary

harrisonisscary Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Also I think the bottom line for me is that as good or bad Eli actually is, i think he is very overrated. And i think Ben has been very underrated his whole career. I think it's disrespectful to Peyton Manning who i respect a lot to even utter his name in the same breathe as Eli when it comes to who would you rather have on your team (They asked that question on some NFL Live show recently), while Ben is barely looked at as a top 10 Qb.

18. csykescollege

csykescollege Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    how? both of those statements are with out a doubt true

19. harrisonisscary

harrisonisscary Member

Nov 2, 2011
    And I'd love to know how both of those statements are without a doubt true? Are you saying that a quarterback with 2 Superbowls is without a doubt better than a quarterback with 1 Superbowl? Maybe my math is off...

20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have to hand it to Eli. Last night he did a pretty good Ben Rottenbooger impression. Eli took a beating and kept getting up and leading his team. We constantly bash our OL for getting Ben killed, but our OL held up better against the 49ers Defensive front than the Giants OL did. One big difference is that Ben tries to evade the sacks even when there isn't much a prayer instead of just throwing it away or just go down. And sometimes he pulls a rabbit out of his hat and does something spectacular. But more often this season, he coughed up the ball or heaved a bad pass to get picked off. And I realize the high ankle injury affected his mobility, but that didn't happen until late in the season, while some of the big humdinger multiple TO performances by Ben this season were when he was supposedly healthy. As Ben gets older, he is getting less mobile, and less able to shake off the monster LB's. And unless his style changes to something other then "Ben just being Ben", then we're in deep doodoo and his career will end sooner than it should. Face it Ben, we all get older and can't do the same things we did when we were 22 years old. And getting older isn't always synonomous with getting wiser and more mature. I hope the new OC can affect the right changes in Ben's game for this point in his career.

21. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Ben is much better than Eli. Just wait and see. Now that he's fully rested and healthy-- he's gonna kick some major ass at the Pro Bowl!!!! :good:

22. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Does anyone actually watch the Pro Bowl?

23. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    While Ben's kicking ass in the pro bowl Eli will be starting in the SB. I'd say Eli's getting the better of that deal.

24. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What impressed me about Eli in the NFC championship game was he had no turnovers. He dropped back to pass something like 66 times (pass attempts + sacks) but had no interceptions or fumbles even under wet conditions. I'm not sure Ben could have done the same under those conditions. Ben's usually good for a few lame brain passes per game and a strip sack or two.

25. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I like Manning...

However, if you watched the game Manning should have thrown about 4 or 5 INTS if it wasn't for the 49ers dropping the easy pick. 50% completion rate in 5 qtrs and an 82.1 QB rating, he held on to the ball way too long' exactly what Roethlisberger gets in sh!t for doing on this board. Manning, was airing it out deep all night and missing his targets by a mile and again something Roethlisberger gets in sh!t for doing.

The bottom line is... Kyle Williams lost the game for the 49ers and is the sole reason the Giants won. There was no Manning magic lastnite, that's for sure....