1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Eli better than Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 15, 2012.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Is it just me or does it appear that Eli Manning has is a MUCH better quarterback than Ben is at this point in their careers? I never thought I would say that but he just seems to really be evolving into the kind of QB that he was expected to be when he was the numbrer one pick in the draft in 04. I really believe that BA has hurt Ben's career by allowing him to play sandlot football. Ben has regressed under BA.

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No way. Eli has a better system but he is not better. His line is bad but I would take the giants line over ours

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, Eli is significantly better than Ben at this point in their careers. I would gladly take Eli on the Steelers over Ben. Ben really does seem to be regressing and he's only 30. It will be interesting to see what Ben is like come 2015 when his contract expires. BA really needs to work on pocket passing with his son Ben or Ben may only have 2-3 years left in his career.

4. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Do you notice that when the rush is on or if his receivers aren't open, Eli checks down? To me, that's why he's better than Ben. Ben doesn't do that, and half the time he ignores his TE who is wide open 5-10 yards down the field. Ben always wants to go for the big play despite tight coverage.

Eli takes what the defence gives him, Ben forces it.

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No way is Eli better than Ben. He is hot right not but I would take Ben over Eli any day. Only reason people are saying the opposite is because Ben is not playing right now and Eli is.

Ask this question when we just beat the Patriots this year and you would have a different answer.

6. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Eli had a far better year. The playoffs have nothing to do with my opinion.

7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Fans trashed Gilbride when he was with the Steelers. Kinda the same way they trash Arians. Football fans in general have a way of attacking OC's.

8. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Eli has had a better year,no doubt.I really don't think he's better.Easy to forget that Ben has been playing hurt and I don't think our OC does a good job with Ben.I don't think you can have a "best buds"relationship and do well.Ben needs someone to tell him no and get in his butt when it needs to be done.Eli also has a better O-line. I really think(hope) that Ben will be back.strong and hungry as ever. GO STEELERS!!

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't know that I can say that Eli is better, but he is improving. Ben has not improved in a few years. Ben may be the best natural "sandlot" QB we've ever seen, but as he ages and the injuries mount, he will have to adapt to be more "conventional."

You know, as I type this watching the Packers/Giants game, it strikes me as odd that we don't have more plays designed to get Ben out of the pocket by design, rather than when the play breaks down. Those kinds of plays are wildly successful for Rodgers, and Ben is probably the 2nd best QB in the league (behind Rodgers) when throwing moving to his right. Just another reason to doubt Arians I guess...

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    LOL just because he is manning doesnt mean he is better than BEn cmon man

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes, but because Ben does what he does and extends the play, we have been successful. Ben is one of the elite QB's in this league, which is amazing considering how porous his OL is and how he always plays with some stupid injury.

12. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    How many times did Ben successfully extend the play this year? Ben is regressing whereas Eli continues to improve.

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Eli and Ben are in the same category in my mind. Better then most but not as good as the best. Both have moments where they play well. Neither plays with the consistency of the QB's that are considered better. Both proved that they are good enough to help their teams win SB's.

14. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I would have agreed last year, but it seems like Eli continues to get better whereas Ben seems to be getting worse. His best year was in 2009 and he's gotten worse every year since then, despite the fact that we have more offensive talent than ever before. Even when he has time, he makes too many bad throws

15. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is how I would call it also. :hmmm:

16. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  17. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    i liked all of our OC's except for Arians. Mularkey was very creative as was Wiz. Gilbride and Gailey were pretty up to par as well. All those OC's ran the ball, or knew when to run and attack teams when it mattered most.

18. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think Eli is smarter, but Ben is the better athlete.

19. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    YES...FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I SAY YES....BEN CAN NOT SCRAMBLE NOW WHICH HE USED TO USE TO MOVE THE CHAINS ALSO...TO INJURED UP

20. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Eli is getting hot just like he did when the won the super bowl and the next year he could not stick his finger up his azz. just because he is play well now does not make him better. I guess this win makes him better than rodgers. he is just the flavor of the week

21. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I am not going to lie, I always liked Eli Manning. But, I would still take Ben and his toughness for the Steelers style of play. Manning wouldve been a ragdoll behind the Steelers OL and wouldve been lucky to play 10 games.

22. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Not only is Eli better than Ben but Coughlin is better than Tomlin.

23. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I sometimes feel Ben extends plays because he has trouble with the initial read of coverage.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Eli continues to improve every year, very very good QB, he's right there with Ben but I still give the edge to Ben. Eli had the better year for sure though.

25. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope you are joking. if not that is the dumbest thing I have read in a while