1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Dotson our best lineman?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 30, 2021.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I keep hearing from others that he is.

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    We got Dotson here!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If not he will be datsoon... sorry bad puns run in the family...lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Probably. By default.

Depends on how DD comes back. Were injuries and poor OL play from others why he looked so bad... or is he declining, too?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I read somewhere Dotson was one of the top rated guards in the league by PFF. In over 300 snaps he did not allow a sack and only one pressure. Then some moron starts Feiler and he takes two drive ending penalties in the first 15 snaps.
    As a rookie yeah Dotson is the best we have right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Doston is arguably the best young building block we have on the roster. That said, I still wonder what David DeCastro was dealing with as, while being 30 during the 2020 season, did not appear to be that slow moving to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    DD was dealing with the 31st ranked center to his left and a 1st yr player to his right.....Chuks 1st full year playing he did ok but Banner probably would have done better!!!!

I believe Feiler should have been moved back to RT and Dotson stay at LG. Feiler is not a good LG.....

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As much as some people would hate to admit it, Chuks was playing out of position as I thought he was all season long. From how I have seen Big Al's regression from the First Half of the season to the second, the plan was to likely have Chuks take over for Big Al assuming Zach Banner had been healthy all season. Sadly, he was not; scrapping this idea all together. Left Tackles are more about athleticism and finesse than they are about size and brute force; not one of Chuks specialties.

All the more reason that, heading into this draft, the team is likely taking switching Chuks into account here. For that matter, I am more certain now than I was a month ago that Offensive Tackle may not be the pick at 24 as Pittsburgh has historically built its Offensive Line from the inside out and Kevin Colbert has NEVER taken an Offensive Tackle during his entire tenure here. Realitiscally speaking, anything can happen at pick 24. Only major reason why I like Alex Leatherwood though at that pick is because he is better suited to the Right Side rather than the Left despite playing at that side.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    agian i still think we have two pretty good LT prospects in waiting. not just LTs either. i think we have some depth that can move around to different spots. coyle and walton and leglue should make some noise. their year in the system will be valuable and if we can get in a good line coach to really bring them along we may be better off already then most think. i agree chuks goes to the left side. we need to draft a center even if pouncey returns and it sounds like he will. banner is still up in the air but we have some depth. :cool:

10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Offensive lineman get no respect. They are taken for granted by 99% of NFL fans. Even hardcore fans who follow their respective teams have trouble naming the guys who in reality make the offense go. QB's and RB's are known far and wide but not the guys who make their glory possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And also want to add, as much as some people would hate to admit it. Fieller was also playing out of position as he was a much better at right tackle and horrible at left guard. Along with Dotson not getting enough playing time, and Pouncy looking old and weak, DeCastro injured and seemed hurt most of the season, Banner out early with ACL, Chucks playing out of position, no wonder we were our line was a mess.

12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011