1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Cam in the pantheon?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Is Cam now a "Steelers Great"? Is he in that conversation as one of the greatest Steelers all time players?

Should he have his number retired?

Funny thing that I remember is after the end of his 2nd year, there was talk of him being a bust. Now, he's right up there with Aaron Smith for me., maybe higher.

I'm not old enough to remember the 70's Steelers, but as far as I'm concerned, he's a Steelers Great.

I know he doesn't have any Super Bowls associated with his name, but a lot of greats don't.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Terry doesn't even have his number retired. It just hasn't been issued to be worn.

So I don't think I need to say my answer on it Ham should. (I assume you're talking about Jack Ham and not cam heyward).

3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think Cam is a beloved Steelers player and the ultimate team leader kinda guy. He's in the conversation with guys like a Keisel and Heath Miller. Nothing but respect and admiration for him; however, all time great is pushing it. All time greats are guys like a Jack Ham, Troy P, Rod Woodson and others that are wearing Yellow Jackets in Canton. Cam may end up in Canton, but it won't be on the 4th or 5th try, and I just find it hard for him to make it.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Cam is a "Steeler Great" if you consider Aaron Smith a "Steeler Great". He is just so darn good. Heath Miller is a fairly good comparison, but I think even Cam is a better DE than Miller was TE (not by a ton, but I think he is). Its unfair to compare Cam to Keisel just due to the fact that Cam is so much of a better player than Keisel was. Like vast eons better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cam needs some playoff success to be considered with the other Steelers greats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Cam, I believe, is 33. There may not be no Playoff success for him. I'm assuming he is in the twilight of his career and the Steelers may miss the playoffs the next few years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Cam will no doubt be in the Steelers Hall of Honor one day. Hall of fame is very unlikely IMO. I am assuming Cam has a few years left. If the Steelers win a Super Bowl during that time, that could change.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe, we will have to see how his last couple of years plays out. As animus said, he has
    been a good team leader. I too would lump him in with Heath Miller.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    yes, cam is a steeler great. As for people talking about him being a bust there were fans calling Ben a bust early on as well. I don’t think this board was around back then, but a now defunct board was littered with Ben is a bust posts. Those posters changed their tunes pretty quickly then pretended as if it never happened.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    yes, I would say he's in the conversation. he's a guy that stands out when the rest of his line sucked, he puts the game on his shoulders and performs well.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    absolutely one of the greats. he's got 101 tackles for loss. 68 sacks. 2 interceptions. 42 passes defended.<passes batted down mostly. 540 tacckles.

his stats compared to aaron smith and joe greene are head and shoulders better then those two greats. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't know about accolades, or anything, but I do know every year He has played I get more, and more respect for Him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I love Cam, but he’s second tier when it comes to great Steelers. Plus he’s pretty much disappeared in every playoff game he’s been in

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Without Cam Heyward, this team wins 4 games last year tops. He was that important to the team. Would have loved to see him with more support around him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Cam is definitely on the same level as A. Smith. Joe Greene is another story. Greene showed up big when it mattered. He was the start of a change for the Steelers. No offense, but that’s disrespectful to compare Cam to Joe.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Steeler great without a doubt

I don’t think he will make the HOF but if he has another 2-3 years of high level play he might. If they also make a decent run or somehow win a Super Bowl in that time then his chances would increase dramatically.

Cam is probably my favourite player on this team, that play against the chargers this past season where he chased down Herbert just epitomises his relentless commitment and effort. Guy is a legend in my eyes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Comparing any Steeler to Mean Joe Greene is disrespectful. Only a handful in the history of NFL players could compare.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is on the NFL Network right now

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    If there's no Aaron Donald or JJ Watt in the league, he's the most talked about defensive lineman no question. Also, he's hurt by the perception of the Steelers defense and the way they use their DL.

Look what happened with Hampton. There's no doubt he was one of the top NT in the league, but overall perception...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    No it's not. Joe didn't do it alone by the way. There were quite a few HOF 'ers that played with him. Cam has had nowhere near the supporting cast that Joe had and the numbers really can't be realized of what cam has done without that talent around him. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020

This is a fair point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Mean Joe won DPOY twice, and was a five time first team All-Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    so what? What does that have to do with cam? Hayward has 3 1st team all pro awards and a 2nd team all pro award. 4th as comeback player of the year and 5 pro bowls. He ain't exactly fried bologna. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I don't think you can really fault him for who's been playing in his era.

since 2011 there have been 2 DT's that have won DMVP, JJ Watt and Donald for a total of 6 times.

The other 4 winners Kuechly, Mack, Gilmore and TJ Watt.

2011's winner was Suggs.

He's still putting up HOF numbers though!

• Like Like x 1