1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Bruce Arians Delusional ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Tdot Steeler Fan, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Tdot Steeler Fan

Tdot Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    In a Interview with the Colts Media Arians answered some questions about running the Steelers offense. Now he says (talking about Steelers Offense) "We won alot of games at the end running the clock throwing the football." I dont know what season or what world he is talking about but I dont really remember running the clock out on a opponent at all this season, we had to rely on our Defense to bail us out time and time again. :frustrated:

EXAMPLES

vs Jacksonville Put up 14 early and then couldn't score once in the 2nd half, couldnt convert on 3rd down with about 2min left and had to rely on our D to finish out the game.

vs Baltimore Took the lead late but couldnt move the chains with about 3min left, had to punt the ball and we all know how this game ended. :(

@ Cincinnati. Put up early 14 then seemed incapable of moving the ball. Allowed Bengals to tie, then we took the lead. Couldnt convert to end the game and once again relyed on our Dfence. William Gay bailed us out here. :clapping:

@KC Put up a mere 13 points all game long !! Had to rely on our D to bail us out....again. Keenan Lewis thanks for the win. :yeehaw:

@ SF 3 points. 3 fricken points.

@ Denver Our D doesnt bail us out this time and the offense has a chance to show they could win a game too but terrible clock management by the Steelers offence and coaching staff. Both 2 min warnings looked like we could come away with a FG but terrible playcalling and Offensive line.

So Bruce tell me which games we closed out on Offense again ? Heres the interview link btw http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/br ... ordinator/

2. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The hiring of BA by the Colts will come back to bite them. When Peyton Manning is shipped off he will have to deal with Andrew Luck learning his inept situational playcalling offense. It may be simple for him to grasp as there are only 6 different types of plays incorporated but they become so easy to read by the defense that he will surely not come away with many wins.

Good Riddance BA!

3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    You give him credit for 6 different types of plays? I counted about three... run up the middle, bubble screen and go deep. And if Andrew Luck can master the bubble or going deep he will be golden in the eyes of BA.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Totally agree. Manning makes his offensive line look good because he gets rid of the ball so quickly. Bruce Arians playcalling is going put that line under tons more pressure. It could get ugly.

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Why does it matter if he is delusional? He isn't our OC anymore.

6. Tdot Steeler Fan

Tdot Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    lol yes Im just saying though that he actually believes he ran a good offence in the Burgh. I still think we had a imposter OC come up with the Tennesee and New England gameplan though, those were too good to be a BA production.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    In another interview he said he hasnt worried about retiring in years. Didnt big ben have to talk him out of retirement last year

8. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree. All Arians posts should now be in the "Other Sports Talk" section. Many folks got what they wanted. He's gone so let's just move on :thumbs_up:

9. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011
    My guess is Ben went to the Rooneys to talk them out of the possible forced retirement after last season. He went to bat for Arians retention this year as well but the terrible situational playcalling, big yardage stats and lack of scoring spoke volumes and the Rooneys finally forced the retirement after this season.

10. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    That was what was reported, but it also was reported that he had retired THIS year. Obviously that isn't the case. I think what happened last year was Ben wanted him back, and the FO realized that without mini camps due to the strike that for continuity it would be better to stay the course. I bet he wouldn't have survived to coach THIS year had the strike not happened.

11. black&gold in NJ

black&gold in NJ Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Maybe he will learn from his mistakes and be a better playcaller.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry guys while he has moved on what he is talking about is Steelers related because he is talking about what they did when he was the OC of the Steelers. I would consider it just the same as any player on any team talking about the Steelers and posting in on this forum as opposed the other teams forums because it is directly related to the Steelers. Now if he had started talking about the Colts offense and what he wants to do then yes no place for this in this particular forum.

13. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011
    You actually may be on to something here, considering he quite possibly couldn't get any worse.

14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

15. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Knowing that he was/is delusional helps with our own understandings of what went on. Clearly he saw things waaaay differently than the rest of us did. I don't just mean that his opinion was different, though it was, he really saw reality and what was happening in the games differently than what actually happened. Either that or he's one of the world's greatest liars of all time.

16. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't care how good anyone's defense is, his goal as O coordinator is to put up points...not yards...points. Yep, they had a good D. Look at NE. They scored over 30 points 12 times this year. 12 times. We did it 3 times. Green Bay did it 11 times. Detroit did it 7 times. Detroit! New Orleans scored over 30 points 10 times. You know who did it 3 times just like us, the Carolina Panthers, the 6-10 Panthers. The difference between them and us, is we can play defense. Oh no, that's not right. I mean Carolina scored 80 more points than we did. Did you hear that? We scored LESS than the Carolina Panthers.

BA was an okay OC, but if you settle for okay, you don't win. If you accept what is the status quo, you don't get better. Our last 5 years we ranked 9th, 20th, 12th, 12th, and now 21st. We have added weapons all over the place and last year we played the first 4 games without Ben, but this year we went backwards. It was time to stop the bleeding.

17. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL Have it your way. I just find it ironic that as much as people wanted him gone they still can't resist talking about him.

18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    It is like a nightmare you can't get out of your head. The only way to recover is to talk it out and a group hug now and then.

19. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    Good one :roflmao: I just know that horse has been beat so many times now the hide is completely worn off ;)

20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    @ Indy...GW drive was set up by passing game that got them into FG range.

@ Arizona....on last drive 3 first downs came from passing game.

@ Cincinnati...on final drive 2 critical first downs via passing game that allowed them to run out the clock

vs St Louis...Steelers last possession, a 9 play drive that ate up 4 and 1/2 minutes of time. 3 critical first downs were picked up by passing the ball.

Thats 4 from the passing game alone which is what you originally said. There were at least 2 more where they relied heavily on the run which is what you asked for at the end when you said "closed out on Offense."

...just sayin'

21. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Okay, yeah we should be proud about using the passing game to "run out the clock" against the 2 worst football teams in the NFL in Indy and St. Louis. Yeah for us!!

Arizona is the best example of us executing this. Of course when you are up 32-20 with 4:00 minutes left in the game it wasn't really likely they were coming back to win needing 2 TDs. They could have taken a knee for 3 straight plays and punted and still won that game.

Cinn is not a team I want to be talking about how great we did against them. The second game we won 35-7, but only got 1 first down in the 4th quarter. The first game we won 24-17 and yes we got 2 first downs on that last drive to wrap the game up. This of course was after 3 previous possessions which resulted in ZERO first downs and a pass INT from Williams Gay to give us the ball back.

Yep these are exactly the kind of games I want to see us play. I mean 7 possessions and 3 first downs is a really good ratio in the 4th quarter against the Bengals.

I expect you realize that if you take the Arizona game out of there, a game we really didn't need to run out the clock in, we played 3 games and got a total of 8 first downs in the fourth quarter. If you take the averages of what this team did on the year, discounting First Downs by penalty, we averaged just about 5 first downs a quarter. In these 3 games you use an example, we got half that....

Taking a few games out of the mix: First game against Baltimore. Game against San Francisco. Game against St. Louis. What do you get.

Total Games: 13
    Average Projected First Downs: 5x13=65 First Downs

Possessions: 41
    First Downs: 33 First Downs, 1 Long TD of 79 Yards, and 1 First Down by penalty

If you throw out the one which doesn't fit with the others (Arizona) you get: 38 possessions and 25 first downs. We had 4 games where we had 1 First down or less in the 4th quarter. I don't care what anyone says. This offense was a frustration to watch this year. Only 2 of our 4 losses are included in the stats, the other 2 gave us 10 points combined.

22. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    We should start to referring to Arians as "He-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named". :p

23. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    All I did was answer the question that was asked.

Its a very simple question with a very simple answer. "Which games did the Steelers close out the game by throwing the ball?" Indy, Arizona, Cincinnati, and St Louis.

There was really no need for this much of an in depth analysis. And honestly, I didn't read all of it because its just trying to discredit the right and truthful answer to a very simple question. You can retroactively add qualifiers and stipulations all you want, it doesnt change the fact that there were 4 wins where the Steelers closed the game out by passing the ball.

If I wanted to, I could make the case that the OP is talking about the defense bailing the Steelers out versus 2 of the 6 worst offenses in the NFL (Jax and KC), and how hard is that? But I didn't, I merely answered the question the OP asked.

24. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Thats too much to type out. Now the acronym HWWNBN just might catch on.

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought that was reserved for a certain #10 that played QB?

Or, was it He Who Shall Not be Named?