1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Brady now the greatest ever?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Montana also played during a time when the rules did not favor the QB/receives as much as they do now. Montana used a lot dink and dunk but he also threw his share of passes downfield as well, he also had outstanding mobility outside the pocket. As I said before I think Montana, Marino, Elway, Bradshaw, Staubach could morph into today's game. I think Ben, Rodgers, Manning (when he used to throw downfield a lot), Luck could have morphed into the way the game was being played in the 80's. I do not think Brady or Brees could - just my opinion and we will never know.

One thing to ask yourself Jack. Think of Joe Montana's best known play - scrambling to the sideline, waiting with the Dallas rush coming on strong and then throwing a perfect pass to Dwight Clark. Do you think Brady could make that type of throw? I don't think he could.

2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    someone different or better than Don Shula? A guy who had a little sucess with a guy named Unitas, and went 13-1 with Earl Morrall? A guy who got a lot out of Bob Griese and went to the SB with David Woodley?
    The guy seemed to know how to work with great QBs and develop others.

3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Whats this doing in Steeler's talk?? :rant::rant::lolol:

4. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012

I never understood this argument personally. 2 Extra superbowls are 2 superbowls that Montana never achieved, that's 2 more conference championships than Montana. To reach the SB is feat by itself.
    That said, I hate Brady but have to give props.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think that's a fair point. The scandals (plural) will be a drag on his legacy.

6. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    Personally I think Shula was mailing it in a bit when he got Marino. Shula actually gravitated towards changing the game into more of a passing explosion with Marino...i.e. he was smart enough to see what he had. Unfortunately he and management did squat in building the rest of the team as Miami never had a running game and their defenses were generally bad. Some of that is Marino's fault too as he was a bit headstrong with how he wanted to run offense, but still Shula wasn't as good a coach in buiding out a whole team.

When Jimmy Johnson came on - he did get the defense better, but Marino wasn't what he was during the 80's. Johnson caught lightning in a bottle with those early Dallas drafts...not so much in Miami.

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He set the record for completions in a Super Bowl. He set the record for most td passes in Super Bowl history. Against one of the best defenses maybe ever. He also threw 4tds as well.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry BFT but no dice. The defense was vastly overrated, Sherman,Thomas, and Chancellor were all masking injury as well as losing Layne. Ben's drive in the final minutes of the Arizona SB was much more compelling and worthy of MVP consideration than anything Brady accomplished yesterday

9. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    Your competition matter though as well. It isn't like Holmes wasn't deserving as well. There was really no competition for Brady - it was a true team win. I guess Edelman or maybe Butler for just having the cahunas to make that play (even with the call by the Seahawks being as bad as it was). But they didn't want to parade some 23 year old undrafted FA in front of the media, so Brady was a logical choice.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    What defense was better? The banged up Seattle defense from last night or the 08 Cards defense? I agree that Ben should have been the MVP though.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. You can only beat the other team you're playing. We had the Cards, a team many believe got lucky to even be there. But you can't take that away from us, we played the only team we could play

12. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    This pretty much sums it up for me.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why? Everyone of them can do what Brady does and most of them can do more.

He did not, his short passing game consisted of 10-15 yard slants that Rice would take to the house. They did not do 5 yard dink and dunk crap. 49ers game was much more vertical than NE's. Yes, it is a skill to be able to pick apart a defense with the short stuff NE does but I just dont see how you compare that to the QB's who had a much more vertical game and who's WR's could be mugged and had to worry about themselves having their own heads taken off. You've seen it with your own eyes what happens to Brady if you start making him uncomfortable in the pocket.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL!!! If they can do more then why didn't they? Only Bradshaw equals him in wins. He blanks Marino and Kelly. He doubles Elway and Staubach in wins. He's 4-1 on Rodgers. I know you don't like him but dude. Also Montana played under the Mel Blount rule for his whole career.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    BFT, what an asinine way to measure a QB's worth, sorry but thats one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on a message board. When I say they could do what he does and more, I'm talking about their mobility, Brady is a statue. So not only can they throw the football as well but they also have the ability to evade the rush. With the exception of Unitas, I have seen everyone of those QB's that I listed play and my eyes tell me that everyone of them is better than Brady.

17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Brady is the greatest ever.... just as Pete Rose is the greatest ever.

18. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011

We're comparing Brady to Ben! Yeah that's what we're doin'!:lolol:

19. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Not Kelly's fault that his kicker didn't make his field goal, any more than it is Brady's doing that Vinatieri made his (on multiple occasions). Just sayin'.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    But mobility and trophies are two different things. Their mobility didn't translate to trophies. So what difference does that make at the end of the day? If rings aren't the true measure then why are we always talking about the fact that we have 6? Rings are what it's all about. Regardless of what your eyes tell you what does your fingers tell you when you count who has the most to show for their career? When I count mine tell me that Brady has more to show regardless of his mobility than all of those dudes except for Bradshaw but he has just as much to show.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok, now you're just trolling. I can troll too. Brady sucks, has only won because of cheating and cant throw a ball more than 5 yards.

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He did too, did too, did too!!! :)

I don't know how much stock you'll put in this, Blast, but Tom Brady's career stats compare very favorably to Joe Montana's:

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXBXXBradTo00.htm

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXMXXMontJo01.htm

Yeah, I know, I know. Different era. Can't breathe on receivers. Montana's dink and dunk was different...blah, blah, blah.

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah but what's funny is that if Norwood had made that fg people probably wouldn't say "Kelly was good but it was really the kicker that won it." LOL. Peyton Manning played a MUCH worse SB than Brady did last night and he still got mvp. Is 14/22 with 157yds, a passing TD, and a rushing TD MVP worthy in the Super Bowl or are those numbers pedestrian?

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't put much stock in it. You know, because cant breath on receivers, Montana DIDN'T dink and dunk at all, you could stab the QB's

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So you are honestly telling me that you think that guys are better than Tom Brady because of their mechanics? You're saying they are better all around players than him? I'm not really following what you're trying to convey.