1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ben's biological clock ticking?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerBark, Sep 8, 2013.

1. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Drafted in 2004, how many years does Ben have left? And since the Steelers are likely to be rebuilding, remodeling, and getting younger the next few years, will he get back to the playoffs before retiring? With the abysmal play of our O-line, Ben is one hit away from reconstructive knee surgery.

If Landry Jones is our future, God help us.

Ben is an absolute beast of a football player. Just hope the upcoming years of mediocrity don't tarnish his overall legacy.

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Every QB is one hit away from reconstructive knee surgery. Ask Robert Griffin.

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Absolutely, he hasn't done himself any favors being wreck less, but then again the front office hasn't helped much either

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've said often that Ben has survived the first half of his career on sheer physicality. We've all enjoyed watching Ben eat linebackers for lunch while paying his own brand of sandlot football. But Ben's body has taken a pounding and he can't simply be more physical than the defense anymore. If he's to enjoy the kind of success in the second half of his career that he had in the first, he'll have to become a more cerebral QB. I don't expect him to morph into Peyton Manning, but he'll need spend more time in the film room preparing for each opponent. But so far, I still see sandlot. I see slow developing plays. I see three pump fakes before he throws the ball. He's looking old and slow. So to answer your question. Yes! Ben's bio clock is ticking louder and louder and we may experience the end of an era before any of us wanted to.

5. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agreed. But you may also agree, you are more likely to get lung cancer if you smoke versus not. So...with the sorry state of our JV line, Ben is more likely to get killed than any QB in the league. What else is new? Sigh...

Maybe I'm just venting, but in the back of my mind, I do worry that Ben may never be back on the big stage.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no, his clock is broken from being sacked so often early in his career. that's why he holds the ball so long. his alarm doesn't work anymore.:cool:

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [video=youtube;o21mTbkaTw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o21mTbkaTw0[/video]

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I will say, that today of all days I witnessed Ben studying the photos on the sideline a bit more than in the past, maybe he's starting to get the memo

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The hits have added up, as I have stated many times
    on this sight,the physical skills are eroding. I am not
    so sure he may make it thru this last contract (3 YEARS).

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There was a huge play yesterday when rather than release the ball early Ben took the sack. I'm not sure that his vision has improved in terms of taking the dump off (except for that wonderful improvisation to DJ) rather thanm the home run.

A lot of this comes back to the chemistry between a seasoned o-line and their QB. I'm not sure the "clock" in Ben's head for releasing the ball is running at quite the same time as the o-line will allow.

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    N
    :this!: Your right, Ben was saying all week how he thought this may be the best line he has had. I think he is starting to get dementia with all the past hits.

He clock is not in sync with the line. There were a couple of sacks that I thought he just should of thrown it away, but he doesn't have the quickest release so I also not sure he could of thrown it away on time.

On his interception throw, he could not step into it due to the rush up the middle and in his face.

It also seems that Ben should have a QB coach that could help him with the little things and talk to him after each series. He seems all alone on the sidelines most of the time.

Actually nothing seemed to be in sync between the line, QB, RB, Receivers, play calling (bubble screens, run your 160 lb back up the middle) and situation personnel (Moyer in the red zone)(taking Jones after one series, while Worilds is doing nothing).

A lot of this is on Haley but MT should take some of the blame for not seeing this in preseason and practices and doing something about it. He is also out of sync with the coaches and team.

12. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I get that Ben is playing behind a horrible line, but I really thought he was out of it yesterday. He was slow and apparently in cement. Is rolling out just not in the game plan anymore? He also threw over Manny's head several times. He is going to get him killed.

13. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I agree, he didn't seem able to move away from the rush.

The Steelers haven't had a player leader on the offensive side of the ball since Ward left. I hate to say this, but they should get Tebow just for his leadership and motivational abilities. I believe that these qualities are what he provided to turn around the previously Orton lead Broncos. It would be great if he would play something other than QB, center?

14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    His release to me is looking slower and slower and Ben is looking more and more immobile. Is he slowly morphing into Byron Leftwich??? :eek:

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He didn't look right to me either, none of that magic to extend plays. Is it physical or directions from Haley not to do it? I know they want to protect him but Bens not a pure pocket passer, needs to be on the move.

16. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Exactly. And, especially, behind a line that cant block. WHY would he stay in the pocket? Roll out and get rid of the damn thing...quickly.

17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Does Ben even have a QB coach to help anymore? I know he did a one time.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yes. Randy Fichtner is still here.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    protect ben and we will win. yes we have a young new line, but i'm still not sure it's matched up well with the individual players they drafted and have starting yet. quite far from it. :cool:

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With that sorry excuse of a O-line every QB biological clock would be ticking.

21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would say yes. At his age, with his injuries he has to be mostly a pocket QB and that has never been his game.