1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is anyone worried about ILB depth???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dustin, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I feel like we have 1 great starter, and as I have said on the board before I am really excited about Williams. We don't have a ton of depth though. I think back to last year when 50 was out. We had Williams to pick up the slack. Who will this year if that happens (knock on wood)??? Whoever it is I am not sure if I trust them. Unlike most of the other defensive positions we have a sturdy back up.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Pretty sure the steelers are worried. Otherwise they wouldn't have pursued Hightower.

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Meh, they have no one to do what 50 can do physically. Forte or Johnson had better be ready....

If Williams goes down, then I really think Dirty Red can handle that spot.

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I like Dirty Red a lot for depth. Him just knowing where to be is a huge bonus for a back up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He's a football player. I still don't get the under sized tag people put on him.

Keion Adams is looking like an outside LB prospect as well. Might be trying to shore up in case Moats doesn't stay or Chick doesn't continue to develop.

Keith Kelsey isn't a great athletic guy either, but he was the QB for Louisville's defense and can tackle. 87, 107(all-ACC) and 93 in his three years.

Galambos was signed after the rookie mini-camp...probably camp body.

Same with Farrington Huguenin played with Dupree in Kentucky. Waived injured from Miami in training camp last year.

6. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Better than 50 / 50 chance that an linebacker not on the roster today will be on September 10th.

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I am worried about the depth, but there is a part of me that thinks we should move Moats inside. He did it in Buffalo when he was there. We would still keep 9 or 10 LBs, it is just we might technically be heavy at OLB if you still list Moats there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    moats wasn't too good inside for them. i think with johnson, red and fort we have 3 guys that can play the backup role just fine. we also have other ways to go in the hybrid with safeties or corners. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think Williams has to prove the shoulder surgery he had in Feb and 10 weeks in a sling will hold up when he starts tackling again, thats a question that has to be answered before I can count on him to be the inside starter..........

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Nope.

Tyler Matakevich and L.J. Fort have proven to be solid depth. Cannot wait to see what in particular "Dirty Red" can do given his improvement with his lateral agility.

11. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016

Not sure when these two guys proved that. Matakevich has heart, but he's a special-teamer at best. Just look at that clip from the Dolphins game. Fort is on the roster bubble, despite the small number of linebackers in camp.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not entirely.

That was him last year. He has been getting good reviews and has been improving. There is no reason to believe he will not have a sophomore surge.

As for LJ Fort, I believe that he beats out Steven Johnson.

13. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    Getting good reviews? Training camp hasn't even started yet.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Even if his ceiling is no more than special teams(which I don't think it is) and he is 4th on the depth chart you have to be impressed with his rookie season as a project guy. I mean the times he was in, he was always around the football and in a meaningful way. He was on top of loose balls, he was in on tackles and for a rookie in a difficult position he didn't have that out of position most of the time feel that many do. Just my two cents.

16. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    That article, from one of the worst of the second hand news sites, is based on a tweet from Matakevich himself! That is a far cry from a report or a review.

I'm rooting for him, and I hope he improves, but at the same time I hope he doesn't have to play a down on defense.

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't get the criticism then. When he was in he didn't look over-matched at all.

This team needs more smart football guys like him.

He didn't look out of position on most of his plays. If anything he was getting used to the level of competition and you could see him adjusting his angles and approaches. Also, he wasn't out there gassed out like most of the players.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's smart, knows what he is doing out there and has a ton of heart. He played well in the opportunities he had, I'd be comfortable with him playing.

Same type of player as the Beard, don't know if he'll ever be that good but Reds game reminds me of his.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm so-so on the depth. It appears adequate. We'll get a Timmons replacement in next year's draft.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Essentially what I was getting at.

Not saying he will evolve into a transcendent athlete but will be better this season as a better player.

21. hamfan7399

hamfan7399 New Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Replacing timmons has worried me since the day he left. ILB and of course the secondary worry me

22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Definitely worries me. Williams should be adequate as a starter but the depth isn't what I'd like to see. I was hoping we'd draft one this year.

I saw a stat that showed that the player most targeted by Brady in the passing game was a LBer in about 80 percent of their games. It was a corner only once iirc. Would you feel comfortable seeing Brady target Williams or dirty Red in the passing game 10-12 times during a game? I know I wouldn't.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    fort is much better in coverage or a 3 safety look would counter some of that.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Sounds like what they said about both Vrabel and Olavsky. Seems they turned out alright.

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Heck, Shazier worries me in coverage.

Sure he has the speed, but he doesn't read, react and flip hips well when he has to cover. He does make the throw a little tougher, just by being near, but the good QB's will eat him up.

Timmons covered better than Shazier in my opinion. At least as far as technique and positioning.