1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is all this talk about Hines for real?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Is the rampant speculation about Hines being washed up just more media hype? He was injured and concussed a week ago before the Cinci game, but they called it a "stinger". Maybe he wasn't fully recovered. I still think (and hope) that he will achieve his goals this year.

2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Me too... I love the guy. Just get him some passes for cryin out loud!

3. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    really hope that the last few hits didn't cause him to slip over the edge, as a fan you just don't know how close he has been to it health-wise :(

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He's been playing for something like 15 years now right??? It probably is about over for him...

5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He is the consumate professional. I love his style of play, just unreal that he has played at such a high level for so many years.

6. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If we could get up a couple scores and then not go 3 and out all 3rd qtr, we might be able to feed the ball to Hines a few extra times.

7. SteelCityDynasty

SteelCityDynasty Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I really think that our bye will greatly help everyone including Hines. Is he washed up? I seriously doubt it. I think here towards the end of the season as the weather turns frigid and possibly snowy that Hines would easily be Ben's number one safety valve. I think he will get his catches and yards and hit his marks this season. With a game riding on one completion there isn't another player on our roster I'd rather have Ben target besides 86. Heath of course would be my second. It seems like the tougher the play and lick they take afterwards those two can't be rattled for anything! I think Hines is going to be vital in our late season success. Rest up boys cause the run to Indy has already started! One at a time!

8. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    So answer this question do you truly beleave Hines should be the starter over Brown or sanders. I love hines like everyone else here but its time for him to step back and say these young guys can help us get to the superbowl i need to let them play more. Im not saying dont let hines play a snap I just fell at this moment Brown is the better reciever and you play youre best recievers. hines is now the number 3 maybe even 4th best reciever on the team.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have to agree with this. It certainly is no disrepect intended towards HW. He has been our go-to guy for clutch receptions for a long time. However, at this stage in his career, he has become more of a situational player and we have 3 young and very talented WR's who need to be on the field more than HW. This day comes for all of us and I expect Hines to handle this with class and grace.

10. USCGSteeler

USCGSteeler Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. I love Hines, but just like Troy, Harrison, and Farrior, I think he has lost a step. Brown is emerging, Sanders has a ton of potential, and Cotchery needs to see the field more because I think Ben's comfort with him down the stretch will be crucial; I really believe that he could be what Hines was 5 years ago. None of this is to say that there is not still a place for the man on the team, but I believe these others guys have earned more time on the field and Hines would be best used situationally.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hines is done......maybe if he sits he can stay healthy enough to help the Steelers out in the playoffs for a couple plays.

12. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I loved the signing of Cotchery. He's a solid vet with good hands and reputation. I think he will be far more valuable for a number of years far more than Battle has been. After one season with Battle I thought they could have upgraded that signing and haven't yet. Basically I am indifferent towards him.

All that being said, as happy as I am that Cotchery is here he will never be what Hines was 5 years ago. Sorry...
    Ward was a super bowl MVP in 06 and is if not the best wide out for the Steelers ever or in the conversation with the other two (we all know who). Cotchery isn't even close.

13. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    At this point he is the 4th WR. He should be able to get the 30 yards to reach 12,000 yards, 19 catches to reach a 1000, that might be tough for him to get this season.

I'm hoping for a couple of games were the Steelers get a good lead and feed him the ball so the can reach it.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't know if it's that I don't believe it or if I don't want to accept it. Either way, I think Hines will maintain an active role on the offense. I think that coming off a bye week, Hines will see more snaps than he did in the Bengals game. I hope he gets the playing time he needs to break those milestones, but I don't think it's going to happen. Either way, I have to subscribe to the philosophy that the team needs to do what it needs to do to win.

15. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I think because of Sanders time off this season makes it debatable whether Hines is 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. I think if Sanders was healthy Ward is forced down to fourth. He's my all time favorite Steeler but, I believe there is too much talent in his group and I don't have an issue with his diminished roll. They give us a better chance to win. But i still think Hines has a place on this team in a 4 or 5 wide set and grit that these guys still need to rise to.

Question: If he gets those yards and catches in the post season they must go towards his final stats right? If so, I think he can do it. Let's just give him all those games to make it happen.

Stairway to 7!!!

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    His game has really fallen off.I'm used to seeing a certain hines ward but this season he look like an old and past his time hines ward.Let him retire and become the wr coach

17. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I love HW and he's been the best all-around receiver of his era.

That being said - this is pro sports, and you go with the hot hand. It's always "what have you done for me lately?" in sports. So we now have 2 players (Wallace and Brown) who are playing lights-out football right now, and a 3rd that showed some flashes of greatness in his most recent game (Cotchery). As a coach, how can you *not* put Ward at least 4th on the chart?

He's not finished, he'll get his stats, and hopefully another ring. And the HOF eventually. But you have to be realistic when looking at what's going on with the team right now.

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hines has seen his role be limited this year, I presume that trend will continue. Having said that, he has 27 catches this year. If he doesn't have the concussion/stinger against the Rats, he would likely have more over the last two weeks. That's a 50+ catch pace. Compared to his career numbers that is a drop off, but still a very productive amount. Sanders only has 18 catches.

Hines needs 19 catches to 1000 for his career. I'm sure he will stick around next year, even in a limited role to accomplish that feat. Not just because it is a personal accolade, but because he can still help this team win.

19. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Hines served this team well!! Is he past this prime? Of course.Will Brown,Sanders or Cotchery ever live up to his down field blocking?...I think not...86..THANK YOU!!!

21. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup. I personally think he's the 5th WR option on this team at this point in his career, but still #1 in the locker room and leadership. I really hope he achieves his goals this season, we win the Super Bowl, and he (among others) can retire on top.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the talk of Hines demise is just that, Yes he is
    probably done after this season, but he can still help us out this year
    in certain situations. He is clutch catching the ball and as a possesion receiver.
    He can find the holes in pass defenses and make catches. He knows the game so well and
    has seen so many defenses that he will find away to get open. Plus he can block.
    I would hope he could go out just like Bussy what a great ending to a great career.

23. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If the strategy continues to include short, possession passes, I don't think Hines is washed up at all - his ability to get open in those situations has probably not lagged. If they want deeper throws to Wallace and Brown, Hines utility is more diminished. I also think he is a better blocker on the dreaded bubble screens and on running plays. So I think his contribution will be more situational and strategic, but I sure hope he is able to hit his milestones.