1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a tall WR needed?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by thorn058, Jan 14, 2012.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Love Darrell Green. Barry Sanders' kid is graduating from high school this year. I say we go after him.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i watched mel blounts kid play at a local HS this year too. wears the same number as dad and ain't to bad. greens kid is a legit WR though. he transfered from virginia to southern. wes bunting seems pretty high on him to make a squad and maybe more. :cool:

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think this is all about height, to me it is about physicality. Can he physically hold the defender away long enough to make the catch? I want a Bolden type receiver for the mix. I like Cotchery, but if I could add a big physical guy, I would let him walk.

Now that being said, it depends on the offense we are running. NE doesn't really have any big physical WRs, they use their TEs for that. GB has one big fast and physical receiver, but mostly they fill that role at TE as well. NOs has a mix...some big, some smaller, but they use a different type of offense where the RBs are planned to be part of the group of receivers.

The key to me is figuring out what the OC wants to do and then providing him the tools to do that. BA wanted to throw the ball deep, Wallace was great at that. BA wanted to use the RBs as the extra blocker, Mendy and Redman could do that, but Moore never seemed to fit into our plans.

Personally, I want to see RB by committee next year. Give me 2 different packages with 2 RBs for each package. For instance, I would develop one package for Batch. Delays, screen passes, quick hitters up the middle, pitches where he can use his speed to get to the corner, shovel passes. For Redman/Dwyer a different package. More power type football. Runs behind the guard, check downs and safety after getting a block.

TEs need to be used more as TEs. Somehow Arians every game forgot to call anything for Heath after the 1st quarter. That may be a misrepresentation, but that is what it felt like.