1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IOL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    The good thing is Herbig, Seumalu, Daniels and Cole have such flexibility that the IOL can be set up in numerous ways. I'm guessing it goes LG Cole, C Daniels and RG Seumalu with Herbig being a swing G and then Dotson gets moved in some way or another. I also wouldn't be surprised if Herbig starts at LG and Cole being the swing G/C. Good thing with the flexibility is that we all can make a lineup projection that just looks solid. Only position I'd say that looks like a lock is Seumalu at RG, but even it wouldn't surprise me if he was put at LG. Green probably sticks around through camp and is one of the final guys cut.

• Like Like x 2
  2. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Prior to the 2022 season, Seumalu predominantly played LG.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I like what they have done here, the area could now turn out to be a strength and they are well covered for injuries. Good job by the front office, on paper at least

Presumably they will draft a developmental Tackle as they look very thin there and it’s unrealistic to expect Moore and Chuks to play every snap again next season

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    We can thanks Andy Weidl for both OL gems. Love what the organization is doing. We are really solidifying the OL

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think the trend continues in the draft at tackle. I'd be surprised if we don't come away with a massive tackle like Dawand Jones or Darnell Wright. Paris Johnson would be great but he won't make it to #17.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think Dawand Jones and Darnell Wright seem to fit what they seem to be looking for moreso than a Paris Johnson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Can't see them shifting 3 positions...Seumalu is primarily a LG ( Daniels was our best OL at RG ) and Cole did well at C

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cole started his first 25 games at michigan as a LT. nate herbig did have one start in college at RT. daniels played mostly center at iowa. seumalo has started 4 of 5 positions on the OL in college. including both tackle spots and center as well as RG. has chuks okrafor earned a try at LT and one of these guys move to RT?:shrug: don't touch that dial stillers fans.

dewand jones?
    jones?
    johnson jr.?
    wright?
    bergeron?
    dark horse- wagner?

i have seen talk of a guy from the titans and no not the spitter. :hehehe::smiley1::cool:

9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am lost, Why is Daniels playing Center? Down the stretch last year, Daniels played at a Pro Bowl level at RG.

Did Daniels even take a single snap at center last year?

Why move Mason Cole?
    upload_2023-3-19_12-1-22.png
    Mason Cole Prefers Playing Center Over Guard: 'I Like The Leadership Aspect' - Steelers Depot

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Those 3 in the middle are night and day the best we have had in years. Its insane just how much this improves a line that was already improving, plus the depth with Herbig. If they go T early and he becomes the starter, having Moore as your depth is not to shabby.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This set up reminds me of a past set up, cannot remember who or when, but with the quality and experience they could slide someone in and the unit as a whole did not miss a beat. Cant believe I am this excited about 'hogs', but lets fry some bacon. lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Loading up big time on interior linemen but still thin at the tackle spot.
    I feel bad for Dotson he showed a lot of raw strength as a rookie but was inconsistent, coaching maybe?
    As a rookie when they played the Colts he got help against DeForest Buckner in the first half but was left on his own in the second half and handled and controlled Buckner almost easily.
    In year two he came in overweight and out of shape but improved throughout the year.
    Dotson just got a bonus for last years performance under a players association program.
    I hope this isn't Weidl just thinking I had a part in drafting these guys so they must be better.
    I hope Dotson isn t the odd man out I can see him being one of those guys that develops and becomes a dominant guard for the next decade.
    Seumalo was drafted in 2016 but didn t start full time till half way through 2018 Dotson had to start as a rookie and then got switched from the right side to the left.
    I hope the new guys are better but I have a feeling if they trade away Dotson they might be giving up on him too soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Every year I have faith and very encouraged by changes. This year I am extra confident. With KFP and OL changes and shoring up the defense to stop the run. All the changes I have seen so far are very positive. We still need a good coverage LB but maybe in the draft? Our run game just got better.

• Like Like x 2
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If KFP takes another step forward(which I think He will)We will be pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Why “developmental” tackle? I’m sold on them finding a very smart maneuver with 17 to get to “their guy” and secure a franchise LT of the future and then Dan Moore is the swing. Our line is fixed (double fingers crossed) in one off season.

Now watch them go draft a DL with 17 and make me look like a real _____…

• Like Like x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Penalty machine and that does not sit well with Tomlin. I feel they will try to move him possibly for a 5th/6th round pick. This is his last season under contract and would only cost 164,704 dead cap.

With Herbig you get a plug and play at guard or center. He will be the swing I believe as well as Moore after we draft a franchise left tackle at 17. Our interior is solid at this point and versatile.

We were lucky that injuries didn't really strike the O Line last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2022
    I think the IOL is Seumalu, Cole, and Daniels, B-U is Herbig and possible UDFA or late round pick. I think Dotson and/ or Green gets traded on draft day for a #5 or #6 round pick. There is no reason to shuffle the RG and C. Both played well down the stretch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Green is gone because he sucks. If they can get a ~5th for Dotson that's fine, it'll save them a few bucks, but they'll have to use a late pick on an IOL then (or find a cheap vet). Otherwise, I'm happy to roll with Cole, Daniels, Seumalo, Herbig and Dotson as our 5 IOL. Really like that and when they add a big OT early the line will look great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    depends what they think of mccollum and dunkle. if they can get draft picks in the udfa area, why not move dotson and green? they will add to them as well. we can bring extra linemen from the PS on game day. i expect a free agent tackle to be brought in before it's done. they almost have too. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I like the commitment they are showing to improving the o-line. Smash mouth, run the ball down their throat football can only help our second year QB. Yeah, I know. The modern passing game, running game is over rated, blah, blah, blah. When someone can come up with a better way of helping a young QB along besides great pass protection and an efficient running, I'm all ears. Even Mahomes and Burrow struggled when their respective lines did the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

People tend to forget that Burrow's Super Bowl run was spurred on by the career year that Joe Mixon had in 2021. That aspect is largely forgotten about but then again, given the year that JaMarr Chase had with Burrow?!... I honestly couldn't blame that detail going so underrated. For that matter, part of the reason why the Bengals were not as successful this time around as opposed to last season was due to the inefficient running game. The Offensive Line's lack of cohesion did not help either.

Yes, the NFL is far more geared towards passing the football; no debate about that. However, having a rock solid to even solid rushing attack is essential. While the Eagles are the exception to this rule given the fact that they nearly ran themselves towards another Lombardi, players like AJ Brown and DeVonta Smith augment the running game a lot more given the fact that both showcased the ability to go deep for six points.

• Like Like x 2