1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting statistic

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ray D, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't put a whole lot of stock in statistics, as they can be molded to support whatever claim someone wants to make more often than not.

That said, this chart here is fairly interesting. I'm not sure it proves anything, but it seemed like a good conversation starter:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

It measures the effectiveness of a team's o-line. I'm not saying it's a good measure, nor accurate. But it's a jumping off point. Odd, that by their measure we are THIRD in the league at run blocking.

In an odd twist of synergy, they rank us as 21st in pass protection. What's out offensive rank in scoring again? ;)

They also have a weighted offensive ranking. It doesn't account for scoring. Rather, it measures the offensive output vs. strength of schedule. It takes us from 5th in total offense all the way down to 18th. :(

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    21st in pass protection is probably why Ben has been getting killed lately...

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I buy the high run block rating. These guys aren't as bad as the scheme would lead us to believe.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    To me it just shows what i already know..LOL.....we can run if we so desire and that dropping back and throwing all over the yard doesn't help us score points or keep ben upright....

News Flash....RUN the BALL......Use PA and design quiker more effecient routes....Seems pretty simple to me,,,but as some say I am just an outsider and no a NFL coach ,,so what do I know??? Well I will answer that if we had an oc who wanted to match a system to the players we would be a lot better off......Instead we force the players to match the system if yiu really want to call it a system....

Anyone can let Ben be Ben ....How about someone who can help Ben be a better Ben this is what I dream about.........Or at the very least draft players that fit The Zone system ....By my count we are minus 2 Guards minus 2 Big WR'S and could upgrade the LT position as well............

Of course making Ben a student of the game would help as well if the passing game is where we really want to go....Do what we do give the QB and the WR'S and the OL game film on the next opponent right after the game tell them to go home come back on Tuesday with 20 plays they think will work and be ready to explain why....At the same time all the Coaches do the same then hash out the plays from the Coaches stand point match those with the consensus of the Offensive groups then get on the practice field and see how they work......

Then go to work again take the ones that worked the best and tell players to devise how you stop this and Coaches do the same then go after it again ....Keep this up until you have a plan a reworked plan and hava true game Plan that all Coaches and Players feel will work based on the Opponent.................

Wow that seems like Teaching,Coaching,Learningg, and Preparing to me,,,,,,something I don't' feel when I watch this Team on Game day.....

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    goodwin and olsavsky are paid to have this ready for them. jerry is pretty new at this defensively. goodwin is also fairly new and also coaches the o-line. passing more is just part of the game now. we better get used to it. some of it's ben, some of it's BA. some of it is players not doing they're jobs on every given play. some of it is the defense countering what we are doing. they practice too. you can't throw all the blame on them not being ready, when the plays work and the qb throws it to the wrong team, or the play works and the players put it on the ground. even when the play works and the defense happens to make a good play on the ball. it's not because our guys wern't coached or a game plan. there are so many variables on any given play. 22 guys are doing or not doing what you expect them to do every play. :cool: