1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting note.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Ward is going to be cut and Wallace is going to get the restricted tender, meaning he will be gone. With these two moves, the two starting reveicers for the Steelers who helped us get to the Super Bowl only a YEAR ago will be gone.

I will be disappointed if they team up and their next team gets to the Super Bowl next year. Under that long-shot senario, I think whoever is currently making the personnel decisions needs to go.

So we will have two starters next year with one years of starting experience between them. And werent we suppose to have one of the best receiving crops this season? What happened to that.

Mendenhall will not be ready to start the season, so we only have Redman. Heath Miller? Well he will be blocking instead of used being used correctly in the passing game.

Right now, I don't see our offense even coming close to being able to improve from last year unless we find a way to get new playmakers that are already established, but we don't have the cap room to do that.

This is the most furstrating thing for me. We cannot keep Hines Ward for a million, we didnt even offer a pay reductino to him..we just cut him, but yet we have this huge amount of money spent in a very bad offensive line and very old defensive line, and the Steelers are refusing to cut any of them. Clip them, get the money, and rebuild them because they CANT BE ANY WORSE than they have been the past several years.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Re: Yes, we are in rebuilding mode.

Wallace being tendered does not mean he's gone. It makes it more likely he's here at least another year.

But if someone is willing to spend a 1st round pick on him, there's good and bad there.

Everything else is par for the course in any off-season. Frankly, as old as we got on defense, we need to do a little rebuilding. But that doesn't mean full on "rebuilding mode." That implies a few down years. We only need to strengthen the foundation. We may not even miss a beat if it's done right.

3. ThrowToHeath

Nov 28, 2011

First, you Todd Haley animation is really funny.

Second, I agree that we need to rebuild slightly. My main point here is that we are rebuilding in the wrong areas. Our starting receiver from the last Super Bowl are most likely gone and yet we still have the same defensive and offensive lines, and very little cap room to make improvements.

4. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

breathe.

a.) people here will tell you we hired god to run our offense so you don't have to worry about miller being used ineffectively any more.
    b.) hines ward and mike wallace aren't "teaming up" to win a super bowl for some other team.
    c.) wallace isn't gone yet.
    d.) the person making the 'personnel decisions' that "has to go" is not going to leave us with brown and sanders as our only wr's.
    e.) mendenhall is replaceable (and we have a stable of fine young backs).
    f.) WE CAN'T OFFER HINES A PAY REDUCTION TO KEEP HIM. how has this FACT failed to resonate in the minds of the people on this board?! any team in the league is required to pay hines, a 'ten-year veteran', $925,000 this year.
    g.) you are upset we aren't bringing in "established" "playmakers" because we don't have the cap room yet you're upset we just unloaded an over-the-hill FORMER playmaker freeing up a lot of cap room? that reminds me of the two refs in the pitt/tennessee game both signaling a first down, simultaneously, in opposite directions.

5. weegie87

weegie87 Member

Jan 2, 2012

"Whoever is making these decisions has to go"??? There needs to be an IQ test prior to posting on this board...The Steeler organization is the MOST stable organization in all of professional sports, largely because of the "people making these decisions"...Relax...Trust the organization...

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

Just a quick note:

It's an emotional day. But let's try not to let those emotions spill over into personal attacks or insults. :) For many people, this feels like a death in the family, and they may go a tad overboard in their reactions. Take everything with a grain of salt.

7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

another, the world is ending thread lol

Until Wallace is officially gone can we leave that one alone, we already have 10 Wallace threads saying he's gone , and he's still here. Ward is done you want to spend money on a guy who might only see the field once a game? I want that money to go towards the future. This team knows when to move on they did it to Porter, Woodson, Fenaca , etc.. now its Wards turn. In the end it's a business, not a marriage.

8. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011

no, he's right. colbert's gots ta go. only two super bowl rings in his short tenure . . . we should have at least, like . . . three. he's awful.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I don't think it is so much rebuilding as much as we are seeing an salary cap induced implosion. There is going to be alot of the depth at most positions sacrificed in order to get cap space and that vet heavy team of starters that has been there the last few years is going to be gone with plenty of untested new faces in the mix. That will affect the team dynamic in a huge way. This belief that cutting aging veterans will free up cap space and everything will be better than it was with them is a fantasy that needs to be put away.

10. ThrowToHeath

Nov 28, 2011
    I changed the title because it wasnt a good representation of the content of my post.

I dont post here often, but when I do it is usually in response to our receiving corp and lack of a good passing attack, so this post really is in line with what I have been saying for a long time, not an emotional knee-jerk reaction.

In terms of Ward, sure he isnt the same playmaker. But does a hall of famer who was starting up until the midpoint of this season, when the Steelers were scoring points and winning games, need to be cut because we think 1 million is overpriced? I don't think my train of thought is crazy like you all seem to suggest.

I am also still not convinced that a Wallace/Brown/Sanders receiving corp is going to be better than Ward/Wallace/Randel El, and definitily not Ward/Holmes/Washington or Ward/Burress/Randel El in their respective eras....... but many of us on this board seem to think that they are elite.

Give me visual evidence from games that the three of them starting will be able to score points and win games for us.

11. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Everybody take a chill pill. Everything's going to be fine.

[youtube:h76t1jif]yHFDa9efCQU[/youtube:h76t1jif]

12. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011

13. csykescollege

csykescollege Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    haahahahaaha the todd haley animation is hilarious.