1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting comment by Kurt Warner on college QBs

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    This is why I always want the most physically gifted. That's something that is actually measurable.

If nobody knows how good any driver might be when they get out on the track, I want my driver to start with the best car.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is true at all positions,fundamentals are not being taught from pee
    wee through college really that simple.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hardest position to evaluate. That and DB’s.

Was just talking about processing in another thread about Brady, guy was basically a CPU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know I've said this quite often, but it's because of How they have in the last 20 years been putting the most athletic people that can throw the ball at the position at a young age, because You can win a lot of games that way early on, and a Pop coach, Jr coach, HS coach, and College coach don't care about the next step ....they are about winning now. Its way easier to design a offense around 2 reads, and run than a real offense. Why do you think the media has been trying to sell You on certain types of Qb styles the last so many years.....they seen what was happening, and what were they going to say???.....yeah the Qb position while more athletic is way weaker than we have ever seen it.....Hell they can't say that, and eventually when the whole NFL is full of these type of Qbs....they will start winning SBs, but guess what.....If You fill the NFL with women Qb....they will eventually win SBs also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Has Kenny Pickett progressed to being able to process to the 2nd read? Part of my question is snark, but part of it is truly wanting to know.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Barely. LoL.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The most important aspect of any QB isn't just the Draft Slot they are taken but where they are going. Take Trevor Lawrence for example. Guy was the unanimous number one, wire to wire recruit in the country. He then is the consensus number one draft pick the day he stepped onto the Clemson Campus. Wins the Natty as a Freshman and cements his status.

Heads to Jacksonvil- excuse me, Jackassville (thanks @KnoxVegasSteel) with a Head Coach in Urban Meyer who is clearly way in over his head. Lawrence's development is essentially effed up beyond recognition. Doug Pederson did much better with Lawrence but I was again on the forefront of being one of Pederson's biggest critics. Fast forward to today and many of the concerns I had about "Douggy P" have reared their ugly head; inefficient Offensive Play Calling, questionable Personnel Decisions and horrible Situational Awareness. These very same flaws that doomed Doug in Philly have now caught up to him in Jackassville.

Compare that to CJ Stroud. Granted, he didn't have Laremy Tunsil to start out the season but he did have two rock solid WRs in Tank Dell and Nico Collins, a tremendous young OC in Bobby Slowik and a Defensive Coordinator turned HC in DeMeco Ryans who had been an understudy of Kyle Shanahan. Add Stroud's own tremendous talent and you get one of the greatest Rookie QB Seasons in NFL History. I don't regret having Bryce Young over CJ Stroud for it is still very much possible that CJ may have been just as bad on a Carolina Panthers team that had little to no Offensive Weapons not named Adam Thielen.

It is one thing to ask a QB to figure things out. It is another when these young guns are hamstrung to hell and back. In short?!

QB was, is and will always be the hardest position to evaluate for there are a helluva lot more factors that will decide his fate from an external standpoint just as much from the player himself.

• Like Like x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will have to kindly disagree . I can find many people say how bad Cincinnati, and the Texans were untill they got the right Qb..now all of a sudden they seem to have great players.....how great You looked in college has nothing to do with NFL. At the very most You play 3 guys a week who will actually be good in the NFL while in college.....some schools don't even face that. You either have it , or You don't, and it will eventually show. .....no matter where You go.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Joe Burrow did have it; Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts and even Patrick Mahomes. Thing is... their talents alone cannot overcome every challenge imaginable.

Take Joe Burrow for example. He didn't have a bare cupboard coming in. Offensive line was and is a massive issue but the likes of Tee Higgins, JaMarr Chase, Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon were simply too many weapons to face off at once for many teams. I have already detailed about Houston so I will not need to elaborate further with them. This all said, the most important aspect of all of this isn't just talent alone but also coaching; something I brought up with Houston. While I don't trust Zac Taylor as much as others do, Brian Callahan is now a Head Coach and Lou Anarumo has tremendous Head Coaching potential.

Trevor Lawrence had none of that heading into Jackassville. For that matter, having Trent Baalke has made the situation potentially worse; now losing Calvin Ridley to a Divisional Rival. While losing one weapon really shouldn't make that much of a difference, every QB does need a reliable weapon to win in this league; doubly so the young QBs. For example, Josh Allen wasn't doing too well for his first two seasons. It wasn't until the arrival of Stefon Diggs that Josh Allen has become the Josh Allen we know of today; a tremendous passer who can win both on the ground and in the air. Justin Herbert is another; Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Austin Ekeler as weapons. Even Jalen Hurts has the likes of DeVonta Smith, A.J. Brown and Dallas Goedert.

Hell, even Patrick Mahomes had two HOF Players in both Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Last but not least, a young Big Ben had the likes of Hines Ward, Nate Washington, Heath Miller and Santonio Holmes.

Long story short?! Trevor Lawrence getting to the number one overall recruit status didn't happen by accident; nor did him winning the National Championship for Clemson. What has happened is that the likes of both Shahid Kahn and Trent Baalke have convinced themselves that Trevor Lawrence is the second coming of Christ in which that is just simply not the case. Every young QB needs some form of help for the QB Position is entirely dependent on the situation they are in. We just saw Kenny Pickett get traded to Philly for next to nothing. While it is fair to say Pickett may not have been a Top 10 QB in the league, it is even more fair to say that the Steelers as a whole ended up failing Kenny Pickett just as much as Kenny did to himself... if not more.

Long story short?! Trevor was setup to fail in Jackassville and now has to hope and pray that Lawrence can bounce back... but with less... somehow...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry. I must disagree. It's cool. Can't agree on everything.