1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Instant replay is it working?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by silverbackforpres, Jan 15, 2012.

1. silverbackforpres

silverbackforpres Member

Nov 13, 2011
    As I am watching the packers giants game, somehow another challenge instant replay wrong. I hate to complain but the only point of it is to insure on questionable calls.that's two calls in two days I say eliminate the challenge just review ever td. If you can't get it right in super slow mo. Than get rid of it. Period

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The refs have been really bad this year

3. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    If that call against the Giants isn't fodder for conspiracy theorists - nothing is. Obviously a fumble - and called that way initially on the field. Un-freaking-believable - and I don't even have a horse in this race.

4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  5. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Has beeen this way all season....no team benefits more that GB

6. gharrison92

gharrison92 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I couldn't believe it either. The giants got robbed on that one.

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That call was blatant and it changed the momentum of the game. I can see if it's a call in real time but to have the replay clearly show a fumble and not call it is just too obvious.

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I missed it, but how the heck they didn't over turn the Patriots 2nd TD yesterday was mind boggling. That was so not a TD even Pats homer Jim Nance said it wasn't.

9. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I think this can all be fixed if the NFL gets full time refs and they need to be younger also. Should be required to have 20/20 vision at worst.

10. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sorry, I don't know how anyone can think that younger refs with 20/20 vision or better is going to fix the problem. It is impossible to see every single thing that 22 guys are doing.

11. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It seems as though the refs have gotten away from the "indisputable" visuay evidence part of it. I have seem several overturns this years that were iffy, and not "indisputable."

Also, they should do it like college and get rid of the stupid covered booth. Let a ref upstairs review it quickly and if cannot be obviously reversed, state such and go with the call on the field.

12. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Nobody is expecting them to catch everything. These guys are starting to miss the blatantly obvious stuff, even after replay sometimes.

13. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I think the operative word here is "fixed". That's what's starting to happen. And - now - Goodell wants to make 10 officials FULL-TIME and have them work at the NFL offices in New York. He is covering his attempt to fix the game by saying that having 10 officials in New York will help rules to be applied consistently in every city. He says that those 10 officials would then be dispersed through every city during the season to ensure consistency. O.K. Does he now not even respect our mathematical abilities. Ummmmm, Roger - there are no fewer than 14 games going on in any given week. So - what about the 4 cities you choose NOT to have consistency in?

I was not a real conspiracy theorist until this weekend, but after seeing what has happened ON the field and now off - I'm starting to consider whether or not I'll switch to watching pro wrestling to get a more pure sporting experience.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not one of them but I have to admit, thought did enter my head yesterday. Several plays were just mind boggling and were still wrong after replay. And then there was the mysterious phantom blow to Rodgers head. Just bizarre

15. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I wasn't a conspiracy theorist either - but wow - this week. When you have an official that can't even make a call on an instant replay? Super slow motion capabilities and you can't see the fumble. I can see the argument in the officials' huddle after that play. [1st official: "That was a fumble!" 2nd official: "No it wasn't!" Referee: "Who's supposed to win this game anyway?" 1st official: "The Giants - you idiot!" 2nd official: "Nuh-uh - it is the Packers!!" Referee: "Alright - let's hope SOMEONE throws a challenge flag so I can ask the guy upstairs!"] Later on under the hood: [Referee: "Who's supposed to win this game anyway? Replay official: "The Packers." Referee: "O.K. No fumble then. Thanks." Replay official: "No - wait!! Come back!! Sh!t! He hung up!!"]

16. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't think so? How can you miss calls like they did in the Packers/Giants game ,when you have Instant Replay that clearly shows what happened on the play? I think the Giants got hosed on 2 very critical plays in that game.The Packers scored after those bad calls.The Giants should have won by even a bigger margin .Just saying. GO STEELERS!!

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't understand this either. Yes, I understand how you can miss the call in real time. Anyone can do that once in awhile. But I'm the guy that says, "Wait a minute, how could he overturn that call when you can't really see what happened? Doesn't he need 'indisputable visual evidence'?" ...This epidemic has screwed over the Steelers many times, as well as other teams. Clear cases of referees guessing what must have happened with the ball instead of actually seeing it.

This one was the opposite. It was ultimately ruled down by contact on the field, and the replay showed clear as day that he had lost the ball before touching the ground. It hadn't just begun to wobble, it was all the way out of his hands and floating in the air by the time any part of him besides his feet touched the ground. It was an open and shut, single viewing decision to make. Then he comes out and says the play stands? Meaning either he thought he was down or couldn't tell? It was so bad that it literally has the announcers in the booth and us at home questioning whether the video equipment malfunctioned or not. It must have, right? Surely it was broken, and that's how he got it so wrong. It's the only explanation.

The NFL still doesn't know how to get replay right. It's pathetic. Put me in charge, and I will fix it in 5 minutes.